Author Topic: Weird snorting noises  (Read 1919 times)

Offline IonaD

Weird snorting noises
« on: April 30, 2019, 07:58:13 PM »
Hi All,

Once again another health care question for my beloved Bella!!

Occasionally when you rub her chest, when she sleeps or at random occasions Bella makes a strange snorting sound. Almost like a cross between a contented cat purr, a clearing of phlegm and a snort.

We went to the vets for the a stubborn tick removal  >:D and I asked her to check, got the all clear on the lungs, she said she might make this noise if she gets something in her nose but it was nothing to worry about  etc.

I read something on here about a reverse sneezing but Bella’s noises seem to happen every day on numerous occasions. Does anyone else’s cocker do this? Is it fairly normal?

As always thank you in advance for any help!!

I’m sure I’m being over paranoid!
x

Offline Barry H

Re: Weird snorting noises
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 08:36:37 AM »
Sorry, can't help with the snorting, but TBH you've done all you can.  If she's otherwise OK it might just be an irritation (pesky nose hair? pollen?) and/or one of those things that come and go. 

Just a thought, but you could try getting her to sneeze by sniffing something proper-sneeze inducing, see if that helps...

God only knows what they vacuum up their hooters when out and about.  Mind you, could be worse - I used to work with a chap that was continually sniffing.  Now that IS annoying.  We used to time the pauses between the sniffs :lol2:

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 08:27:43 PM »
Bobby would inhale deeply when he put his head down the holes he dug.  He got a discharge and scabby bit on his nose. The vet looked up it and said he’d got a little abscess , probably caused by an angry mouse with a little stick!   Antibiotics.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 10:56:16 AM »
My cocker has reversed sneezing whenever her nose is runny. She can go months without getting it, but as soon as she gets a little sniffly it will happen again. Scared me half silly first time it happened, I thought she was having asthma or something. I think she has some mild pollen allergy because lately she has had a runny nose and some reversed sneezing. I never worriy anymore because it always stops as soon as her nose clears up again.

I think if it happens every day and doesn't let up or it seems to bother her maybe have the vet look inside the nose, just to be on the safe side?

Btw, reversed sneezing is pretty loud and looks uncomfortable in my experience. Typically happens when they run around. I don't know how used you are with cockers, maybe you know them well, but if not I thought I'd mention this as it has puzzled some of my friends who are used to other dogs. They do often make cuddly noises. Like a soft snore when breathing in slowly, often accompanied by a stretch and a content sigh  :luv: All the cockers I've known do this when especially enjoying a cuddle.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 12:44:01 PM »
My cocker has reversed sneezing whenever her nose is runny. She can go months without getting it, but as soon as she gets a little sniffly it will happen again. Scared me half silly first time it happened, I thought she was having asthma or something. I think she has some mild pollen allergy because lately she has had a runny nose and some reversed sneezing. I never worriy anymore because it always stops as soon as her nose clears up again.

I think if it happens every day and doesn't let up or it seems to bother her maybe have the vet look inside the nose, just to be on the safe side?

Btw, reversed sneezing is pretty loud and looks uncomfortable in my experience. Typically happens when they run around. I don't know how used you are with cockers, maybe you know them well, but if not I thought I'd mention this as it has puzzled some of my friends who are used to other dogs. They do often make cuddly noises. Like a soft snore when breathing in slowly, often accompanied by a stretch and a content sigh  :luv: All the cockers I've known do this when especially enjoying a cuddle.

I reckon Humphrey was a ventriloquist in a former lfe - he has a whole selection of different vocal noises tones at his disposal (and all without moving his lips! :lol2:)

Offline IonaD

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 02:11:41 PM »
Mari thank you!! You’ve helped me no end (Bella is my first ever cocker hence my million questions on here about all sorts as I’m kind of learning as I go).

I don’t think she’s reverse sneezing at all now. I think she is just making soft snoring/content kind of noises. She never seems to be in discomfort and doesn’t do it all the time.

When out walking and running she breaths fine with no noises (other than when she has her nose on the grass and sounds like a little piggy) it’s just when she’s home and having a cuddle or a belly rub.

Thank you all!!x

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 06:25:32 PM »
Even though Daisy is our fourth cocker, I still have million questions (just to make you feel better  :005:) so don't worry about it!  Disy sort of purrs like a cat when she in contented snuggle mode, weird noise to hear coming from a dog,  :lol2: