Author Topic: natural joint remedy for old dog  (Read 1829 times)

Offline k

• Site Member
natural joint remedy for old dog
« on: May 03, 2019, 01:36:54 PM »
Bramble is 15 in a couple of weeks. He has cushings disease which is managed with veterol  and also has trouble with his back legs. They are very stiff and weak and he struggles getting up from a sitting position. and he can no longer manage stairs. I took him to the vets and they put him on pain killers a while ago . I didn't quite make the connection straight away but I think they made his mobility worse. Ive come to think this because they changed the tablets to Garabetin(sp?) and he almost completely went off his legs. Because his mobility seemed to be getting worse I stopped walking him which I think in turn has led to more muscle wastage than maybe he would have had.
He is now not on any pain relief and seems to be moving slightly better so Im looking for a more natural remedy. Im hoping that I can start to build a few short walks in to his day which might build his hip /leg muscle up again. These will only be 10mins at a very very slow pace to begin with. Any advice gratefully received

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: natural joint remedy for old dog
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 03:08:58 PM »
There are 2 facebook groups it might be worth joining.  Turmeric Users Uk and Canine Concern - Natural Healthcare.  Many advocate giving golden paste (which you can buy ready made) and/or CBD Elixer but you will have to check for any contraindications of the medication he is currently on.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 04:06:16 PM »
You could look at Lintbells Yumove products.  There are some other tablets and for the life of me I can't think of the name - but the company is in Blackpool and the medication has good feedback as does Yumove.  If you go to the top of this page and under the Simple Machine Forum but Yumove in the site search and it will throw up some threads.

As for Gabapentin - I was given along with Nsaid's when I had back problems....they are also used in humans for nerve pain (after stroke). My experience was the gradual realization several days on that while the pain was improving, I was walking easier I was also looking  like I was in a drunken state and worse was the fact that I  felt no pain if I banged myself or picked a hot dish out of the oven etc. 

Do hope that there is something out there to help

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Acciesboy

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 01:28:01 AM »
Our little Maltese Cross is on Gabapentin. He had acute pancreatitis and is recovering well. He also has a sulaxating patella and cruciate trouble. The vet said the Gabapentin would help with both. The pancreatitis is under control now but he is still limping a bit, surgery will be needed soon we reckon.

That said, Gabapentin is well tolerated in most dogs. The only side effect we saw was a bit of lethargy when he first started on it. We don't see any problems with it now.

We considered using Golden Paste but we're worried about the fat in the oil. With his pancreatitis he is on a special low fat diet. I think you need to be careful with fat levels in Cushing's so that you avoid pancreatitis and other complications. I know there are good fats and bad ones but we didn't want to take any chances (our vet even told us to take him off the green lipped mussel supplements he had been on.)

We have used Rosehip powder as well. You can get a canine version but it's exactly the same as the human one sold here in Australia. I would say it made a little bit of difference, but not a huge difference. It helps reduce inflammation. I couldn't find any drug interactions or contraindications with pancreatitis so we've used that. Our canine version comes in a powder that we mix into wet food. Our boy doesn't love it to be honest. You might be able to get it in pill form.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 09:15:41 AM »
The turmeric User Group on FB is a good source of info.  ;)

Coco is 14 this year and she has been having golden paste for a few years now in an attempt to pre empt any joint problems. So far, she is doing fantastically and no sign of stiffness or joint issues.  :luv:  She also has Salmon oil on her food plus dried sprats as treats to give her the fish oils.
Julie and Watson

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 07:09:57 PM »
I give my two the turmeric sausage slices from the Golden Paste Company and it really seems to be helping. They also have salmon oil and a weekly tin of sardines.
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 07:55:33 AM »
You could always give Dorwest a call, I've always found them very knowledgeable and helpful.

https://www.dorwest.com/category/shop-by-condition/joints-mobility/

It's all natural stuff.