Author Topic: Help with how to check for ticks?  (Read 3536 times)

Offline IonaD

Re: Help with how to check for ticks?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »
Thank you everyone for the advice. I’ve ordered an O-Tom...just have to pluck up the courage to use it if we find anymore.

I just wish they weren’t so gross!! They really make my skin crawl :-(

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Help with how to check for ticks?
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 10:45:50 AM »

I read an article just yesterday incidently, which claims that very few dogs actually become ill with Borreliose, most who have already been bitten are likely to be carrying antibodies already and unless they don‘t have very good immune systems for whatever reasons, its unlikely to cause any great problems. The article is based on research by a couple of renowned vet. colleges here. Obviously there are other diseases which can be spread but they reckon that the panic that exists here about Borreliose is unfounded.  Nevertheless I have bought a Scalibor collar for Humphrey this year as last year was a nightmare!
I've read that too and heard vets talk about it. And since the transfer of borrelia is unlikely if you remove the tick within 12-24 hours, even the tablets are going to help protect against it. It's comforting to know! However, like you said, in many european countries there are other threats than borrelia. Babesia, anaplasma, erlichia...So always a good idea to talk to the local vet about local threats. And be especially careful when travelling with dogs.