Author Topic: Panic Attack?  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Panic Attack?
« on: May 31, 2019, 04:16:08 PM »
Does anyone one know can dogs have 'panic attacks'? I ask because Minstrel would not come in from the garden yesterday, I had been out there with them but went in to make a cuppa! so I went and bought him in on lead (he came calmly & not running off as if a game), then it kicked off as follows:

Heavy panting and drooling, shaking/trembling and fast heartbeat. I decided against putting him in the car and taking to vet as he gets so OTT excited when he sees the car anyway. He wanted me to cuddle him and hold his paw - which of course I did and after a while and a sleep he calmed down, so I fed him with no adverse affect.

I can only imagine that he saw something in the garden that spooked him.

Thanks in advance
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Panic Attack?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 04:45:12 PM »
Sounds more like shock  symptoms than panic (?) Could he have been bitten by anything? Or perhaps a loud noise that  frightened him?
Always difficult, they‘re such sensitive little souls, you can only make guesses I suppose. Hope he‘s ok now. .... :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 04:58:27 PM »
Sounds more like shock  symptoms than panic (?) Could he have been bitten by anything? Or perhaps a loud noise that  frightened him?
Always difficult, they‘re such sensitive little souls, you can only make guesses I suppose. Hope he‘s ok now. .... :luv:

Yeah he is fine today, as far as I can tell, thanks. Being a jittery kind of fella anyway it can be difficult to know what is going on. If he hadn't wanted his food I would have been even more worried.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 05:16:15 PM »
Could he have tried to kiss a toad or tasted a flower he shouldn't have? Laurië ate part of a poisonous mushroom last year, she was drooling and unwell for a few hours, but because it was only a small piece the symptoms cleared up fairly quickly. Glad he is okay! If only they could talk..

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 06:05:03 PM »
Could he have tried to kiss a toad or tasted a flower he shouldn't have? Laurië ate part of a poisonous mushroom last year, she was drooling and unwell for a few hours, but because it was only a small piece the symptoms cleared up fairly quickly. Glad he is okay! If only they could talk..

Or maybe a bee sting? It doesn’t always result in swelling but would be painful  :huh:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 06:22:16 PM »
Thanks for your responses and suggestions - I will certainly keep an eye on the little chap.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 06:26:02 PM »

I do have at least one frog in the pond - and yesterday had to pick up a green looking frog/toad that had wandered off on to the path - so maybe he found that later in the day and being a nosy little thing (as most dogs are) could easily have investigated too closely.