Author Topic: Worming  (Read 2185 times)

Offline PaulJ

Worming
« on: June 28, 2019, 06:49:02 AM »
What is everyone’s opinion on testing for worms before routine worming?

I wonder if we test before worming is due and there are no worms it means no drugs are required. The less drugs the better I would imagine, the same as us humans.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Worming
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 12:34:14 PM »
Absolutely!! I have Humphrey tested about 2 to 3 times a year, he‘s raw fed and gets a garlic clove or a spoonful of coconut in his food every now and again, we haven‘t had a positive test result since he was a puppy (he‘s now 4). I can‘t see any logic in worming just for the sake of it and I don‘t think people always appreciate how aggresive the worming stuff is!
(BUT I know there are others on here who hold  a different opinion and it IS a personal choice  ;) , that‘s just my personal opinion! )

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 04:12:47 PM »
Egg count here too.

Thanks for reminding me, I really need to gets Bea's test done  ;)

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 05:37:13 PM »
He is due a working dose in a week so will probably take it, discuss with vet. Then review. My intuition says “don’t give a drug unless you really need to”.

I have seen kits online, any recommendations? Or ask vet for kit?

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 05:40:12 PM »
https://wormcount.com/
I think a few people on here have used them.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 07:00:10 PM »
He is due a working dose in a week so will probably take it, discuss with vet. Then review. My intuition says “don’t give a drug unless you really need to”.

I have seen kits online, any recommendations? Or ask vet for kit?

mm! I may be wrong of course, not sure the vet would be happy to sell worm test kits, after all they probably do quite well from selling worming products, tablets etc  :shades:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 08:01:36 PM »
I dunno, we are able to talk quite frankly to the vet. It’s our dog, not theirs. Nothing wrong with a direct question and challenging and opinion to see if it back up with anything of merit  >:D

But then we are not at a chain, our vet is independent and there are plenty of practices around. We went down before pup arrived and grilled them too. Quite happy with asking an awkward question,

“So is opinion because you earn money for the product or because it it better for an animal that does not have worms to take an unnecessary drug?”  :005:

I would expect an honest response and be looking in the eyes for ‘tells’.

Offline lescef

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 08:19:19 PM »
We have used Wormcount for about four years now. Maddie did show to have heartworm once but Bramble has always been clear. It is just a snap shot of their system on that day but a tablet is basically the same. They could pick up worms the very next day.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 09:35:14 PM »
I use wormcount quite often, but occasionally have a lazy moment and worm both dogs with Milbemax instead.

Mostly I haven't needed to worm them after testing. But n one occasion William's results showed he had roundworm, although Louis didn't. I wormed both with Milbemax, although I was probably being cautious and didn't need to worm Louis.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 11:36:23 AM »
I also use Wormcount.

https://wormcount.com

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 12:42:20 PM »
My advice would aways be don't treat for what the dog hasn't got, wormers are not good for the dogs anymore than spot ons and other treatments, and cause issues that may not be apparent for many years. Worm count and treat if nes, after all would you take tablets from your doctor without tests to find out whats wrong with you? Vets push wormers, vaccines etc all the time, many patently unhealthy to say the least, in 40 yrs of Cocker ownership I have never had boosters or used wormers. When I had the wormcount done on my 9yr old bitch after no wormers (or tests) for 9 yr she had no worms, so why waste money and dogs health. I f I find them as I have in my new dog, I will use a non chemical treatment