Author Topic: Urinating long post castration - is it normal?  (Read 1396 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Urinating long post castration - is it normal?
« on: July 04, 2019, 07:28:33 PM »
Hi all, - just looking for a bit of reassurance if possible please....
Humphrey had an undescended testicle and the normal testicle removed 3 weeks ago. Since then, he seems to wee for ages, (he stoops since he‘s had the op and only cocks his leg now if he‘s marking). I put it down to the effects of the operation but its now been three weeks, the wound has  healed up nicely but he‘s still doing it and also drinking more (although it has been pretty hot here).
He‘s fine in himself and doesn‘t seem to be in any discomfort but I‘m just wondering if this is normal, if the medication he received (he had a a real cocktail of injections etc for the op) would have had an effect or if something‘s gone wrong? Does anyone have any thoughts please?
Thanks!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Urinating long post castration - is it normal?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 09:36:41 AM »
If he's drinking more, which as you say may be due to the hot weather, he'll need to pee more. If he's cocking his leg less then you'll probably notice him doing longer pees when he squats because those are the times when he's peeing because he needs to, as opposed to doing lots of short pees when marking.

William was castrated at 15 months because of an undescended testicle. He cocks his leg now and then but mainly waits until he needs to pee then squats and pees a lake! If Humphrey is doing that you may notice his urine looks quite yellow and smells a bit strong, which can happen when they hold on for some time.

But if you're concerned, take Humphrey and a pee sample to the vet, who will do a dipstick test there and then.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Urinating long post castration - is it normal?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 12:51:35 PM »
Thankyou Elaine, that‘s reassured me! It just seemed so unusual to see him squatting but if William does the same then its obviously quite normal!
Thanks!  :D