Author Topic: Lungworm  (Read 2286 times)

Offline PennyB

Lungworm
« on: July 05, 2019, 06:19:49 PM »
Ever since I had a dog that has had it (cocker) and thankfully survived, and know 3 dogs that have died from it, and have just learnt today a dog locally has died from this it is at the forefront of my mind re monthly prophylaxis (I know some do worm counts but this is my choice re using wormers). Have also just learnt that the worming prophylaxis I use probably doesn't kill off as much as I think it should so am going to change my regimen re monthly wormers now
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Lungworm
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 04:11:43 PM »
Have you thought about having a wormcount done?

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 10:03:18 AM »
To be honest I'd rather not take the risk as south east England and South Wales (and now West Wales) are rife with it but now I know what works will be doing that (using advocate). In some areas vets are holding elective surgery off until a dog has had about 1-2 doses of advocate (so that's 1-2 months) as they can bleed out in surgery. A monthly dose will effectively kill the lungworm off plus if a dog has unknown vomiting etc. its worth asking the question re lungworm but sometimes a dog can die without symptoms (one vet told me the 1st symptom can be death which is a scary thought and with more dogs locally being diagnosed with this its an awful thought).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 02:06:27 PM »
Sorry if this is daft question but just wondering.....would lungworm show up on a normal wormcount (i.e. poo sample) and if not, how is it detected?

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 02:32:09 PM »
Sorry if this is daft question but just wondering.....would lungworm show up on a normal wormcount (i.e. poo sample) and if not, how is it detected?
Yes, but you get a separate kit to use, and have to collect a composite sample over 3 days if i remember rightly.  I had mine tested for it earlier this year.  You can have samples tested for giardia as well.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 04:03:13 PM »
Yes, but you get a separate kit to use, and have to collect a composite sample over 3 days if i remember rightly.  I had mine tested for it earlier this year.  You can have samples tested for giardia as well.

Thanks Emily, - I have the worm count done at our vets but I‘ll make sure to ask that Lungworm is in fact included in future!