Author Topic: Allergies and itchy skin  (Read 4775 times)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Allergies and itchy skin
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2022, 10:27:56 AM »
I would avoid hypo allergenic food, its a con, also any kibble of any sort as this can cause allergies in itself and is not the best dog food, go raw, then at least you can eliminate all the additives in tinned  and kibble

Going raw would not help all the dogs that are allergic to animal protein. Hypoallergenic diets are not a scam, they are incredibly helpful medical diets for countless dogs that would otherwise suffer from skin issues and gastrointestinal tract problems. Please do not discourage people from following veterinary advice, most vets recommend a hypoallergenic diet over raw feeding in dogs with allergy. Figuring out food allergies is a difficult process and while some do well on raw food, many do not. Feeding raw also requires a certain amount of knowledge about nutrition, combining this challenge with an elimination diet can be difficult. Feeding a professionally developed and tested feed from a veterinary diet line is something everyone can do safely.

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2022, 02:20:05 PM »
there are options like immune therapy or monthly injections (developed specifically for use in dogs) to stop itchiness. You could always ask your vet about it :)

This was great advice, Mari! Ivy is now on Lokivetmab, an immunotherapeutic monthly injection and it's made a HUGE difference. I rarely ever see her scratching now and the hair has grown back around her eyes and on her chest (so she must have rubbed it off when scratching). Luckily, our pet insurance covers it as it's £120 a month :o

She does still get a runny nose and sneezes every now and then as the meds just treat the itchy skin, but she is so much calmer and happier now - especially in the evenings!

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2023, 08:37:19 AM »
We finally got Ivy's allergy test results back and it's 100% environmental - trees, grasses, dust mites, and plants (so many that it would probably be quicker to tell you what she isn't allergic to!) We're going to start her on immunotherapy soon and it's a lifelong treatment, but I'm just glad we got to the bottom of it and there is a treatment avaliable. 

Just wanted to provide an update in case anyone else is going through this. 

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2023, 10:24:04 AM »
Thanks for the update, glad you’re finally getting somewhere,  can begin some treatment that’ll provide relief  for Ivy.
 :bigarmhug:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2023, 12:16:18 PM »
Am sure once treatment starts it will help Ivy.

Take care.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2023, 07:56:07 PM »
My Homeopathic vet said most dogs that have allergy , have environmental allergies and only a tiny percentage have food allergies , altho it seems fashionable to always assume that food is too blame