Author Topic: Gemma has gone deaf  (Read 1406 times)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Gemma has gone deaf
« on: February 18, 2023, 09:37:55 PM »
Wish it was spaniel selective hearing.
Gemma (Almost 12) has within one day gone deaf.  Am gutted.  She suddenly is not responding to voice, whistle, doorbell etc.   There is no head shaking or ear scratching , so don't believe she has a infection. The only strange thing is, she will look to the left if a sound seems to gets through to her.  A visit to the vets is this coming week. The first couple of days she was not herself but can report she is back to her old self apart from the deafness.  I feel so sad incase she thinks we no longer talk to her..  We have always used hand signals so do have a bit of control.
Things that have changed
Having to go looking for her in the house, going to the bathroom on our own , eating every piece  my secret snacks ( so much guilt), fetching her in from the garden and waking her up as she now tends to over sleep as can not hear us moving
The other noticeable thing is we are talking to her more, strange as we know she cant hear .  ph34r

Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Gemma has gone deaf
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 11:23:30 AM »
Sorry to read this Min, poor Gemma.
It must be upsetting, it‘s always sad to watch them ageing but I‘d imagine for a cocker, out of all their senses, hearing is probably the one they rely on least, except to hear the dinner gong  :lol2:
Lets hope the cause is something the vet can treat but if not, I‘m sure she can continue to enjoy her life to the full, she can read your body language like a book by now, so she‘ll know you’re still communicating with her.
Sending  :bigarmhug: and keeping fingers and paws crossed for some good news from the vet. Do keep us posted.  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 04:59:43 PM »
It's very upsetting for you, and Gemma is probably ok with it all.  Bertie went deaf at some point and we only noticed when Max died, as he lost his hearing dog.  I noticed then that he started to pick up non-verbal cues from us, and if we approached him when he was snoozing, we stomped our feet, so he felt us approach, and got less of a fright.  Aside from that, he was absolutely fine.  We changed our ways a bit and were more worried about it than he was.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 11:56:41 PM »
Sorry to read about Gemma, hope the vet can help.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 09:06:49 AM »
Milo went deaf, and with a few adjustments we managed it. He'd had ear infections which destroyed his eardrums. Hope the vet can find a cause and mitigate it. Dogs are great at soldiering on, though  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo