Author Topic: Vaccinations query  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Vaccinations query
« on: May 04, 2023, 09:12:35 AM »
  This is a weird one...went to my usual vet on Tuesday to proudly show her Harry,  anyway I showed her his puppy vac card as both  8 week and 12 weeks done at breeders vets, so his booster date could be noted for reminder to my vets computer.

Told  Harry's puppy vacs are not in line with vacs my vet gives and cant have booster (they use) he will need first and second vacs again this December.  I mentioned that I had noticed on his card that Lepto 2 was given and thought it was because he was a young puppy....my vet use Lepto 4.

I swear I am like a manic Mum the more I think about it.  Had to call in to collect his flea and tick treatment yesterday and mentioned it to nurse and she looked bewildered at it.  I really am no clearer in my mind.

The vet who gave Harry his vacs as puppy is only 15 miles away and in town Hubby's Mum lives so I could take hime there for booster.....but would not want to upset my vet who was so wonderful with Ollie.

Have any of you come across this before.....
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Vaccinations query
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 09:55:41 AM »
I have heard of different vaccines in different areas, which is why Rupert had both puppy vacs done at breeders, or he would have had to start again too.

At the risk of upsetting your vet, I would mention that you have a choice of where you choose to have yearly booster done (check though that the other vet would be willing to do this if you are not their client, first  ;) ) really can't see why he would need them all again tbh. Bit of a money ploy me thinks.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 10:01:07 AM »
If it helps. Before we moved Gemma dog was registered with  2
 vets. The new local to us, we used for vacs and minor problems . Our original vet had the major headaches..  .Never had a problem with this even when insurance got involved.  personally I would make the trip to the breeders vet as i wouldn't want lepto 4
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 12:26:41 PM »
Update ...spoke with the vet 15 miles away and they said that they would have to request his records from my vet and would need to register.

I have to see the nurse to weigh Harry at the end of the month and as I know she is senior in years she has been with my vet, will ask her is there any way round it.  She even suggested I buy online as cheaper with private script.

Julie and Harry

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 01:27:21 PM »
Update ...spoke with the vet 15 miles away and they said that they would have to request his records from my vet and would need to register.

I have to see the nurse to weigh Harry at the end of the month and as I know she is senior in years she has been with my vet, will ask her is there any way round it.  She even suggested I buy online as cheaper with private script.

Julie and Harry

That sounds a good option hope you get it sorted.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 03:48:52 PM »
Has Harry had any treatment at all from your vet?
If not, there are no records to see and I would get someone else to ring breeder’s vet to say that as he had his first vaccinations with them, can he have the booster too?  Like Min, we are registered with two vets, the first a local one we can walk to and another that offers 24 hour care which the local vet can’t.  I also took Maisie to a third vet to have her keyhole spay as neither of the first two vets did it.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 04:07:02 PM »
Me thinks the vet has his wires crossed. If you want to use them just ring up for an appointment and say  it's a first visit . If they want records ( and I don't understand pup having any) it's up to them to chase.  Gemma came to us as a rescue and had no records for the first year
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 05:24:16 PM »
Has Harry had any treatment at all from your vet?
If not, there are no records to see and I would get someone else to ring breeder’s vet to say that as he had his first vaccinations with them, can he have the booster too?  Like Min, we are registered with two vets, the first a local one we can walk to and another that offers 24 hour care which the local vet can’t.  I also took Maisie to a third vet to have her keyhole spay as neither of the first two vets did it.

That‘s what I was thinking....
To be honest, I don’t think any (good) vet  would or should be offended about patients going anywhere else when necessary, the dog‘s welfare is the priority and in this case its more sensible to adhere to the original vaccine plan. I‘d imagine most vets have experienced the same situation at some time or other anyway, it must come up quite often when dogs are rehomed at a youngish age. I‘m pretty sure there was a similar post on here a while ago.
 :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 08:31:49 PM »
I found this when googling from a large vet practice in Derbyshire - it says

We use the Nobivac brand of vaccines for dogs, which are compatible with Canigen dog vaccines. If your dog has been vaccinated with any other brands we would recommend re-starting the vaccine course.  Will ask nurse what they use.

Harry has had Canigen, hubby might still have Ollies papers if so will have a look what they used.

At least I have a few months to sort out.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 06:47:08 AM »
I found this when googling from a large vet practice in Derbyshire - it says

We use the Nobivac brand of vaccines for dogs, which are compatible with Canigen dog vaccines. If your dog has been vaccinated with any other brands we would recommend re-starting the vaccine course.  Will ask nurse what they use.

Harry has had Canigen, hubby might still have Ollies papers if so will have a look what they used.

At least I have a few months to sort out.

The problem I would have with that, is that in my opinion (which I realize isn’t everyone else’s, and I don’t want to start a huge debate   :shades:  :005: ) the dog is being over vaccinated. My own stance is that vaccinations are absolutely essential  but they‘re  still put pressure on the body‘s natural immune system so should be kept to the minimum necessary to ensure protection. I can’t see any benefit from restarting a vaccination course all over again. (Other than to the vet ofcourse  ;))
 :bigarmhug: to little Harry!
Xx :luv: