Author Topic: Willow has Diabetes  (Read 3971 times)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Willow has Diabetes
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2023, 12:14:12 AM »
Pleased and relieved to read things are getting better for Willow.  :luv:

I would agree that seeing the same vet for something ongoing is important. It may be worth writing a letter to the manager of the practice and your preferred vet stating your concerns (send it recorded delivery so they cannot pretend they didn't receive it) and ask what they intend to do to accommodate your's and most importantly Willow's needs. You may find it is an over zealous receptionist or nurse laying down the law - rather like the receptionist at a doctor's surgery can try it on with their patients. I have had this happen to me.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2023, 11:27:05 AM »
Firstly I am so pleased to hear that Willow is responding....although not to great about vet practice.
In the North West  Cheshire Shrop - we have a non for profit called https://www.animaltrust.org.uk/ and there areas https://www.animaltrust.org.uk/clinics/

My niece who is 18 and still at college took her dog and when she asked about the cost the nurse asked what she did she had to match half the cost....I am still not sure how the pricing works, but worth looking at.  My neighbour also goes and says the Charity is wonderful, they are open to everyone.

Sometimes these big vets are not easy due to rota of too many vets...my neighbour used to go to Pets at Home and never saw the same vet and one was Spanish and she felt dreadful that she had to say she could understand her accent.

Finger crossed all goes well.  One point I did wonder was if they are checking Willows levels through the day that is why they want the whole day with her...just a thought.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2023, 09:37:09 AM »
All going well so far today except for another bent needle and as soon as I had given Willow the insulan she brought all of her breakfast up. I was really worried and wondering what to do but on looking round her breakfast had disappeared again. Must talk to the vet as this could have been very serious giving her insulan with no food.
I had a phone call from the vets yesterday morning and it seems that my moaning paid off as I had an apology and she said that Willow will be seeing the original vet when I bring her in next time. They really are quite good and I believe the only one on the island that provide  a 24 hour emergency service and yes they do have a rota system with quite a large number of vets.   When Willow spends the whole day at the vet hospital it is to see how the medication is performing. I take her food with her and they give her breakfast and then check her blood sugars throughout the day. They are looking for what they call a 'U Curve' where the bottom of the curve represents the lowest blood sugars and the tops obviously the highest. She had an almost perfect curve with no spikes and they were so pleased and said that I must have been looking after her well.
I know most of you have been through much worse with your dogs in the past and I just want to thank you all again for the advice and support you have given to Willow and myself. We are surviving.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2023, 10:03:11 AM »
Bob

Glad of the update,  and that you will see the usual vet, what you are going through is tough, it is all so tough what we go through because we love our four legged companions.  It can't be measured as it is so concerning to us and that is why we all understand when maybe someone who has not got the devotion of a beloved dog don't understand.

The worse times are when you need support and that is what Cockersonline has given me over the years.

Take care and hugs to Millie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2023, 11:58:56 AM »
I can only echo what Jaysmumagain  has said. True, we‘ve all gone through things, whether they are „worse“ or not is not measurable  ;) whenever our little friends are poorly, irrespective of how seriously, its  always tough and we all  try to help where we can, I couldn’t have got through Humphrey‘s troubles without COL, just being able to write my worries down and know there were people out there that were pulling for us helped enormously. We invest all our strength and love helping our pets get better but it can be exhausting and its so important to share the load to keep our spirits up. 
I think you’re doing a great job, even if you‘re still having a bit of problem with the injections (and hats off for even trying!) you’re giving Willow all the love and support and care she could wish for and that’s what really counts.
Glad you‘ve managed to sort the situation with the vets.
All the best for you both, keep us posted!
 :luv: :luv: Jayne x

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2023, 09:38:13 PM »
Oh that's a better response from the vet practice. At least now you have a better understanding of what they are doing and the whole thing sound better for both of you. It doesn't matter what others are dealing with, when it's your dog, that's a really difficult thing. You and Willow seem to be getting the hang of things, it will take a while to get it down to a fine art, but that will come.

Offline Qwerty

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2023, 11:15:22 PM »
I’m glad the vets have responded to your understandable concerns and I hope Willows results at the next appointment are just as encouraging. Keep positive and love to Willow.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2023, 09:26:41 AM »
Really pleased you got an apology from your vets and they are being more considerate to Willow’s needs and yours  :D
You are doing so well regarding the injections and Willow is responding well to her medication.
COL is wonderful for when you are worried about anything.  No one judges you, its members have years and years of experience to offer advice and comfort.
A great caring community  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline PennyB

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2023, 05:56:21 PM »
Only experience I have had re diabetes is with a cat and thankfully he was straight forward but I guess we find a way for our pets. In cats its easier re meals as while you give 12 hours apart you don't have to deal with meals. Hope all goes well from now on

There is a canine forum re diabetes online - its from USA but then you can find out differences in meds using google

https://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!