Author Topic: Gemma is a poorly pup again  (Read 6371 times)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Gemma is a poorly pup again
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2023, 01:13:34 PM »
Only lasted one day without steroids. Back to the vet today as we are not happy with her general  behaviour today.  So, now are armed with another 3 weeks of steroids to try with the possibility that she will have to have a low dose for ever. Also have had a biopsy on her neck lump as that has shown no improvement despite all previous meds. Another sad day for Wallet..
Wish they could tell us how they feel. But a spaniel with no interest in her toys is a good indicator
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2023, 02:33:05 PM »
Min...sometimes the steriod option truly helps, it did for Ollie and he was on them for 2 years intially on 10 mg then 5 mg then 3mg - yes you can read allsorts of negatives, but they gave Ollie a better wellbeing and while it increased his appetite and weight, just to see a cocker who enjoyed his days and his daily rountine, outing etc was worth it.

I was once told that they give a better sense of wellbeing by my Dads GP when my late Dad had them, and when I had covid I ended up on them to help with my asthma.

On a brighter note that little fellas built in clock would eagerly remind me it was his smartie time(steriod) at 8am and pre lunch.

Sending positive thoughts to you and hugs to Gemma
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2023, 03:05:44 PM »
Min...sometimes the steriod option truly helps, it did for Ollie and he was on them for 2 years intially on 10 mg then 5 mg then 3mg - yes you can read allsorts of negatives, but they gave Ollie a better wellbeing and while it increased his appetite and weight, just to see a cocker who enjoyed his days and his daily rountine, outing etc was worth it.

I was once told that they give a better sense of wellbeing by my Dads GP when my late Dad had them, and when I had covid I ended up on them to help with my asthma.

On a brighter note that little fellas built in clock would eagerly remind me it was his smartie time(steriod) at 8am and pre lunch.

Sending positive thoughts to you and hugs to Gemma

Gemma's steroids are the same as I take when my asthma flares up
 Hers are only 5mg tablets (one a day) so not a big dose. Her weight has dropped 600gs since we started on this journey. Hopefully that is just because all food, treats and extras are monitored.

OH had just let her out of her cage (used when we go out or think she needs  a rest) and she has run out with a toy, so meds have already kicked in again
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2023, 06:12:53 PM »
Min...so glad to read this.

Take care

Julie

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2023, 08:46:07 PM »
I am glad the steroids are working for Gemma, and I hope the longer dosage does the trick. A spaniel ignoring toys is not a good thing!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2023, 07:24:55 AM »
Fingers crossed that the meds do the trick, as you put it recently, its a rollercoaster ride true enough.
 :bigarmhug:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2023, 09:58:41 AM »
Wishing Gemma a steady and lasting recovery  :luv:

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you all
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2023, 05:44:41 PM »
Good news. Neck lump is not showing any cancerous cells.  Thinking is that it is either a infected tick bite or a reaction to another bite,sting etc. Vet is reluctant to do anything that would require her to go under anesthetic because of current issues. So when current meds finish I think we will have it removed if it hasn't disappeared. Don't see the point of harvesting a sample when for a few minutes extra we can get it removed.We all deserve a few days away so off to North Wales next week , dog friendly of course.   :luv:
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2023, 07:25:48 PM »
That's  a big relief regarding the lump.  Seems sensible to hold off for now, and see what happens.  Enjoy your holiday, I think it's well timed.  :luv:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2023, 07:28:38 PM »
That's  a big relief regarding the lump.  Seems sensible to hold off for now, and see what happens.  Enjoy your holiday, I think it's well timed.  :luv:

That's what I like about being retired. You can just go when you feel like it. Never could when we was working, couldn't afford to either
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2023, 07:20:26 AM »
Hope you all have a lovely holiday
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2023, 08:11:58 AM »
Phew, that's a relief. Hope you have a lovely break. Agree being retired is brilliant, just got back from a few sunny days in the east neuk of Fife in our campervan.  Dylan loves it.
Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2023, 11:44:53 AM »
Wonderful news

Have a lovely time in north Wales and be sure to say hi if you see an imp called Harry running around.

Julie and harry

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2023, 12:58:00 PM »
Wonderful news

Have a lovely time in north Wales and be sure to say hi if you see an imp called Harry running around.

Julie and harry

If little imp Harry get squealed at by a ginger with bright yellow bug collar that's Gemma 😂😂
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Gemma is a poorly pup again. Update
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2023, 09:55:16 AM »
Today we helped Gemma over the bridge. We are heartbroken 💔  This morning  we went to the emergency vet as she was not right.  We decided to have a x-ray which showed up massive cancers in her liver and lungs. The vet also thinks it had spread to her brain which actually made sense to us. It was the steroids that kept her going but she declined when we cut the dose.   She is now pain free but our world has collapsed.   :💔🐾🐾
2011 - 2023 

----