Author Topic: Vet cannot find out what is wrong with Spud  (Read 2261 times)

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
Re: Vet cannot find out what is wrong with Spud
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 10:04:53 PM »
I do hope you find out whats troubling poor Spud soon. Its so frustrating when you take them to the vets and they see someone different each time.

Penel

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2006, 10:07:20 PM »
What is he fed on ?

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2006, 11:45:54 PM »
He is fed on Burns
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline PennyB

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 12:02:37 AM »
I gather he's not insured as would suggest referring him on ---  they're a bit like GPs who after a time will refer on to a consultant. I often find with vets that you can get different ideas but then thats the same as with GPs (sadly vet medicine like medicine is not an exact science and so a diagnosis can often be about elimination rather than being able to use one diagnostic tool)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Penel

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 08:59:54 AM »
So is it possible he has snaffled something else and has got a blockage ?

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 11:17:45 AM »
Just back from the Vets who is now under the opinion that it is nothing more than an infection is his right anal gland.
Got antibiotics and cream to put on his bum (as he has licked it raw during the night) and a buster collar to stop him attacking it any more.That was his 3rd anal examination though so dont know what to think really.
There was a slight change in his back bone,which the Vet said can cause a sensation of an  intense pins and needle effect in the
 anus, where dogs have been known to chew their tails off, but this  condition is rare.
So we have put the excess gas down to the change in his diet as he was on a light diet because of the anasthetic
He seemed to be in so much pain though,but I know that he is a bit of a wimp.

Anyway hopefully we can now relax and he will improve over the next few days.
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 11:22:43 AM »
I hope thats what it is and he gets well soon.  Thinking of you xxx
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 12:43:25 PM »
Just back from the Vets who is now under the opinion that it is nothing more than an infection is his right anal gland.
Got antibiotics and cream to put on his bum (as he has licked it raw during the night) and a buster collar to stop him attacking it any more.That was his 3rd anal examination though so dont know what to think really.

Glad to hear this, now I think you need to get a copy of the vets diagnosis and the vets bill and hand them to the groomer as I'm certain that his infection has come from there.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2006, 12:45:52 PM »

Glad to hear this, now I think you need to get a copy of the vets diagnosis and the vets bill and hand them to the groomer as I'm certain that his infection has come from there.

Mmm, could be a tricky one to prove......  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2006, 12:58:45 PM »

Mmm, could be a tricky one to prove......  :-\

I agree (my groomers doesn't do anal glands anyway)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2006, 03:13:12 PM »
Certainly wouldnt cost anything to have a try, the dog gets an infection of the anal glands shortly after the groomer does the anal glands?

At the very least even if they wont re-imburse your vet bills, then it may make them have a look at their hygiene standards just in case it was them, and prevent another dog going through what yours has.

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2006, 04:52:35 PM »
We did suggest this to the Vet but he was under the opinion that the trouble would have started straight away rather than 3 days later.
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2006, 06:39:04 PM »
We did suggest this to the Vet but he was under the opinion that the trouble would have started straight away rather than 3 days later.

I hope he gets well soon - its just one of those things, sometimes  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2006, 08:21:24 PM »

Cant really see 3 days been beyond the scope of reasonableness for an infection to outwardly manifest itself, especially for a stray hair clipping to work its way in (speculation), but its your choice and up to you how you choose to proceed.

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2006, 08:32:37 PM »
I think localised infections would normally appear within 24-48 hours after a procedure - I suppose 3 days is not beyond the realms of possibility, but maybe unlikely. I think too that when we ask for procedures to be carried out, we do accept a certain degree of risk with them - infections can occur after the most sterile of procedures. No one can gove 100% guarantees all of the time and lets face it clearing out the anal glands is,by its very nature, not a "sterile" procedure.

I do not think there is anything to be gained by accusing the grooming parlour, especially if everything was generally satisfactory. I suppose you could always mention it in passing on the next visit, but it is probably just one of those things.

I suppose you now know what is wrong, and that must be a huge weight off your mind.