Author Topic: First Sting  (Read 1079 times)

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
First Sting
« on: August 26, 2006, 03:46:46 PM »
Well Lucy went for a walk with the OH and daughter and returned 5 mins later twitching her mouth like a demented Elvis, OH has gone hyper and has been ringing the emergency vets as ours is taking a long weekend bless him. They want £89 just for the privilege of meeting Lucy!
I have told OH to hold fire for an hour or so and keep an eye on her - so she's gone out in search of a vet who is open today >:( is not answering her mobile  >:( >:( and youngest daughter has just announced that she took 'something' that might have been a sting out of Lucy's lip >:( >:( >:(
Having now retrieved said 'something' from the bin it is most obviously a bee sting - youngest is amazed that Lucy doesn't mind us bathing her lip (which is now twice as fat as the other side) with bicarb  ::)

So i guess by now there are at least a dozen vets on standby with emergency resus equipment at the ready!!! ph34r

I'm going to have a beer and sit out in the rain

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Re: First Sting
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 04:54:19 PM »
What does a Bee sting look like? I thought they would be too small to see?

I thought it sounded like a grass seed.

Hope shes better soon.

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 05:03:35 PM »
When a bee stung Tilly on her tongue (ouch  :o) you could definitely see it.  It looked like a small black pin, slightly hooked and with something on the end (poison bag?)  The vet was able to pull it out with tweezers whilst I held Till's mouth open  :-\.

Poor Lucy - it must have hurt!  At least you found out what it was before going to the vet - I paid £70 (it was on a Sunday and I was visiting my Mum  ::))  Although, having said that, I don't think I would have liked trying to get it out!

I wish I could say she has learned not to eat bees, but she still sees tham as a tasty snack  ::)

Hope Lucy Lovely Lips is back to normal soon.

Sue and Tilly

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 07:07:42 PM »
Panic over! all vets standing down ph34r

Now that the sting has been removed her lip is returning to normal, she is a bit quieter than normal and is making the most of all the fuss and attention ph34r :luv: and is currently sleeping on my slippers.

OH has calmed down as well and there is even talk of taking Lucy for a walk :o

Think of a comma, the thin pointy bit is the stinger, the blobby bit is the poison sack complete with muscles that continue to spasm after death of the bee in order to ensure delivery of the poison. The poison sacs would be about 1mm diameter

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 07:10:45 PM »
Panic over! all vets standing down ph34r

Now that the sting has been removed her lip is returning to normal, she is a bit quieter than normal and is making the most of all the fuss and attention ph34r :luv: and is currently sleeping on my slippers.

OH has calmed down as well and there is even talk of taking Lucy for a walk :o

Think of a comma, the thin pointy bit is the stinger, the blobby bit is the poison sack complete with muscles that continue to spasm after death of the bee in order to ensure delivery of the poison. The poison sacs would be about 1mm diameter

Thanks for that. Hopefully I will never see one.
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 07:16:53 PM »
When my pair were stung by bees, their faces swelled up like they had been 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. I phoned the emergency vet and he said to give them Piriton and just to keep an eye on them in case they had difficulty breathing. Fortunately, they didn't suggest an out of hours appointment.

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 07:56:14 PM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 10:06:19 AM »
pepper got stung by something probably a wasp as a pup (no stinger left in) but she puffed up so quickly and we didnt know if it was a snake or not so she had an injection from vet.. this was 8 years ago... I was at work came home as my daughter was having a hairy fit but she acted quicky and pepper was ok, but as she didnt see whatcaused it we think it was a wasp as there were no snake bite marks visible, but her wee puppy face was huge it took a day to go back to normal.. and she stopped chasing bees and wasps .
 good thing too. very alarming at the time.

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 01:37:32 PM »
well Lucy was chasing butterflies and moths again last evening so i guess once bitten twice shy doesn't apply to her ::)

We've just come back from the woods where she has had great fun terrorising the local wildlife and seeking out smelly things so i dont think there has been any permanant damage :luv:

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 07:33:06 PM »
I've given my boyz piriton before, my vet prescribed it for something and charged me twice as much as I would've paid at a chemist >:( anyway it seemed to help and is obviously safe to give the dogs. It might just make them drowsy!!

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 09:33:45 PM »
I've given my boyz piriton before, my vet prescribed it for something and charged me twice as much as I would've paid at a chemist >:( anyway it seemed to help and is obviously safe to give the dogs. It might just make them drowsy!!

What dosage did he prescribe, if you dont mind me asking?

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 12:05:25 AM »
What dosage did he prescribe, if you dont mind me asking?
Mine said half a tablet of child strength or a quarter of a tablet of adult strength. But I think it only comes in one strength though. I asked for child strength so the pharmacist asked how old the child was. Much to the amusement of everyone else in the shop I had to explain that it was actually for the dogs!  :embarassed: