Author Topic: Droopy eyes - should something be done?  (Read 8757 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Re: Droopy eyes - should something be done?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 04:38:28 PM »
Indie has droopy eyes, and his aren't dry at all. Unless they were turning in, or he was getting infections(he's never had one)I wouldn't have anything done. His droop more if he's tired.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 04:46:55 PM »
Our beloved baby Chloe had really droopy eyes.  I thought they made her look beautiful.  She was lucky that she never had any trouble with her eyes.  When she was diagnosed with AIHA, the droop was handy in a way because seeing those bright red droopy eys told me she was not suffering with a drop in her red cell count. 
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 04:50:50 PM »
Indie has droopy eyes, and his aren't dry at all. Unless they were turning in, or he was getting infections(he's never had one)I wouldn't have anything done. His droop more if he's tired.

Domino's eyes are the same as Indie;sometimes they weep a clear liquid but they've never caused him any problem so I tend to leave well enough alone. ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 04:56:25 PM »
Our beloved baby Chloe had really droopy eyes.  I thought they made her look beautiful.  She was lucky that she never had any trouble with her eyes.  When she was diagnosed with AIHA, the droop was handy in a way because seeing those bright red droopy eys told me she was not suffering with a drop in her red cell count. 

Hamish has this too-his yes are too tight to check, have to check his gums. ::)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 05:04:35 PM »
I did her gums too, just to be sure!  It was a daily ritual, lids down, lips up!!  Glad Hamish is still going strong pet  ;)
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 05:14:01 PM »
I did her gums too, just to be sure!  It was a daily ritual, lids down, lips up!!  Glad Hamish is still going strong pet  ;)

Ah the joys of the ritual, eh? ::) I do it evry day too, especially if he's been running you can't tell them to rest- he's doing great thanks hon. :luv:

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 06:49:24 PM »
Maudie is the same and shes a solid sometimes its ok it depends if she is tired or not really or how she looks at you!

Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 10:46:32 PM »

Are people saying that sometimes their dogs eyelids droop and sometimes they don't ? Or sometimes they just look droopy and sometimes they don't ?  :huh: As I said earlier Misty has an unpigmented 3rd eyelid in one eye - but the eyelid is always tight to the eyeball. I'm no expert in this but it sounds strange that an eyelid can just occassionally droop - does that happen ? 

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 10:55:46 PM »
both of barkley's 3rd eyelids are unpigmented- it's really interesting to learn that it's probably due to his colouring. he has white markings and his mum is blue roan. it can be really creepy when he's sleeping as sometimes one of his main eyelids doesn't completely close and all you can see if white where it would normally be brown! freaks my oh out something chronic!!  :005:
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2007, 11:06:28 PM »

Are people saying that sometimes their dogs eyelids droop and sometimes they don't ? Or sometimes they just look droopy and sometimes they don't ?  :huh: As I said earlier Misty has an unpigmented 3rd eyelid in one eye - but the eyelid is always tight to the eyeball. I'm no expert in this but it sounds strange that an eyelid can just occassionally droop - does that happen ? 

In my case, Indie, yes. Sometimes his eyes look really tight to the eyball, sometims they droop. I'll ask the vet at work on Tuesday, it is odd.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2007, 11:15:23 PM »

All I can say with Lou is if you look at the third photo at the start of this thread, his eyeball fits the shape of his eye, no red shows.  However as the day goes on the eye exposed seems greater and there is definate redness around the base and this can show white which sounds a little like ali says in her post above (picture 1).

The eyes do not appear to irritate, Louie is not rubbing at them or seeming to have any discomfort and other than some tearstains this is probably not an issue.  I am a little paranoid as Jasper had cherry eye prior to coming to us and that sounded horrendous when the ducts "popped out" so maybe I am looking for problems.

As I have said, he's going back for castration in about a month, so I will keep a check and the vets can look more closely when he's there.  Unfortunately it was only the nurse today and, of course, the eye looked fine.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2007, 11:17:49 PM »
both of barkley's 3rd eyelids are unpigmented- it's really interesting to learn that it's probably due to his colouring. he has white markings and his mum is blue roan. it can be really creepy when he's sleeping as sometimes one of his main eyelids doesn't completely close and all you can see if white where it would normally be brown! freaks my oh out something chronic!!  :005:

Alfie's are the same, totally white. If he's sleepy and having a belly rub his eyes will half close and his third eyelid will roll across, it makes him look like a zombie with white eyes  :o :005: I didn't realise that it was linked to his colouring either though, that's really interesting!  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2007, 02:19:58 PM »

Are people saying that sometimes their dogs eyelids droop and sometimes they don't ? Or sometimes they just look droopy and sometimes they don't ?  :huh: 

Domino's lids are quite loose & they do appear to turn slightly outwards;however if he's tired they do seem to be more noticeable & the rims look reddish.
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 11:29:12 AM »

Scooby's are always droopy - think everyone's talking about two differing conditions, drooping eyelids and unpigmented 3rd eyelids are two differing things, or they can go hand in hand.  Scooby has just got droopy eyes  :luv:
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 11:42:11 AM »
Buddy has baggy eyes. Always droopy, no tight days and loose days at all.

He also has one unpigmented inner lid. That's sometimes shite and sometimes red, depending on how tired he is.

I think all this is normal. If he had a constant discharge I would get him checked out by the vet as he could have an infection. Or if he was obviously bothered by them (and pawing at them) I would suspect infection or dry eye.

I, too, think it would be odd for the droopiness to vary. It's a facial feature, like our noses etc. We wouldn't expect them to change shape day by day.