Author Topic: Droopy eyes - should something be done?  (Read 8762 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: Droopy eyes - should something be done?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 11:51:50 AM »
I, too, think it would be odd for the droopiness to vary. It's a facial feature, like our noses etc. We wouldn't expect them to change shape day by day.

May be its a bit like us when we get bags under our eyes ::)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline scjmk

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2007, 11:08:05 AM »
Hi Dylan has these eyes

Sometimes they are as bad as the pic above, and he always looks as if hes just been crying!  He had his dangly bits off last Friday and I asked them to look at the eyes as well (I d rather he went under anesthetic just the once) they suggested that they could tighten them up by getting rid of a bit of skin in the bottom eye lid and then he would just need a stitch in to let it heal.  They would under guess it, cos as he gets older (hes 7 months) the eyelid was likely to get tighter naturally.  Although the first vet I saw about this a couple of months ago said his eyelid goes out, This vet said it also turns in at the top and therefore the eyes could get scratched from his eyelashes, the stitches come out in 8 more days but the discharge seems a lot less and his eyes more natural.   

The only thing I would warn you of is the price, he cost £140ish for both eyes!!!

Sarah

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2007, 11:51:56 AM »
Thanks for the warning on price, kind of what I expected - have you tried to claim on insurance?  I was wondering whether they will pay up as I assume they should if the vet advised the op to go ahead.

Will get them to look at Lou's as soon as he goes in for same op as Dylan.  Like you rather one lot of anesthetic.  Fortunately the lump on his head did turn out to be a histonoma that went on its own so one less inspection whilst he's there.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline scjmk

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2007, 12:01:48 PM »
Thanks for the warning on price, kind of what I expected - have you tried to claim on insurance?  I was wondering whether they will pay up as I assume they should if the vet advised the op to go ahead.

Will get them to look at Lou's as soon as he goes in for same op as Dylan.  Like you rather one lot of anesthetic.  Fortunately the lump on his head did turn out to be a histonoma that went on its own so one less inspection whilst he's there.

I will be trying to claim on his insurance, just a bit worried cos he was treated for conjunctivitis at his 5 month check up (when he was under another insurance company), the vet seems to think that there should be no problem in claiming though, its just that initial outlay, its a good job they are worth it!

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2007, 12:41:37 PM »
I will be trying to claim on his insurance, just a bit worried cos he was treated for conjunctivitis at his 5 month check up (when he was under another insurance company), the vet seems to think that there should be no problem in claiming though, its just that initial outlay, its a good job they are worth it!

I know. I'm waiting for the insurance to come through for the biopsy and removal of the growth for Jasper - That was best part of £300 that I paid up front - no wonder I can't afford to feed the family this month - might be a good job the dogs having chicken wings, raw veg and moving towards BARF - I'll be making a stew this week  ;)

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 12:08:52 PM »
Ok Maudie has droopy eyes when she looks like this

but not when she looks like this

Is that her eyelid?????
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2007, 02:00:20 PM »
 :lol: That bottom picture of Maudie is the exact same face Jarvis has when her looks up at you. Beautiful almond eyes  :luv:

His eyes are also really droopy when his head is down, and when he's tired. I can only assume the eyes changing with head position is because of the weight of the ears pulling his skin? I know when he's on his back the whites of his eyes are really obvious and he looks like a fox, and that seems to be because of the ears...  :huh:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2007, 03:17:53 PM »
:lol: That bottom picture of Maudie is the exact same face Jarvis has when her looks up at you. Beautiful almond eyes  :luv:

His eyes are also really droopy when his head is down, and when he's tired. I can only assume the eyes changing with head position is because of the weight of the ears pulling his skin? I know when he's on his back the whites of his eyes are really obvious and he looks like a fox, and that seems to be because of the ears...  :huh:
Yes Maudie is exactly the same on her back!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2007, 06:47:41 PM »
 :luv: Give her some grouchy eyebrows and they could be twins!  :lol:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline scjmk

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2007, 12:04:38 PM »

Jaspersmum,

just an update!  Dylan's eyes are stll droppy, but sooooo much better and a lot less discharge.

Even better the insurance company did cover it!  Hope Louie's op goes OK to!

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2007, 03:51:56 PM »

Jaspersmum,

just an update!  Dylan's eyes are stll droppy, but sooooo much better and a lot less discharge.

Even better the insurance company did cover it!  Hope Louie's op goes OK to!

Glad to hear that Dylans eyes much better, I keep delaying getting Louie castrated as general advice on here is to wait as long as possible and it's only when he go'e for that op that the vets were going to take a closer look at his eyes.

Lou's off to Crufts (Friends for Life display) in a couple of weeks so once that's over I'll have to make a decision about booking him in.

Nice to hear that the insurance paid out too.  Thanx for letting me know.

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2007, 04:32:20 PM »
Charlie has also got droopy eyes - and yet our first cocker didn't at all. The vet said that it had something to do with the pigmentation (he is blue roan and tan). I know it's stupid, cause I love him the way he is, but I do feel a bit aware of it. Someone also made some silly comments about it.  :'(

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2007, 04:46:57 PM »
Glad Dylan's eyes appear better.

Storm's eyes are usually nice and tight, but sometimes if she gets really tired a bit of red shows.  She has a little kip and they are back to normal again.  I never knew the red was due to lack of pigmentation...ty jane.