Author Topic: speying an older girlie  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
speying an older girlie
« on: May 19, 2004, 11:47:34 AM »
Hi,
Tia is booked in next week to be speyed.
I've look through the 'search' button, but can't find anything about speying an older girl.
I'm wondering whether there is anything I should look out for? Tia is by all accounts 8 years old, and so it'll be quite a change for her - hormone levels and all that. :?
I suppose she'll have to have that dreaded collar on again. :evil:
Any thoughts gratefully received!                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
speying an older girlie
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 12:00:21 PM »
We've had a number of older girls spayed & I wouldn't say it's that different to having a younger bitch done. Mostly they have recovered reasonably quickly & are asking for their tea when we get them home, although one or two have been more affected by the anaesthetic than others & some feel more discomfort than others seem to. I would recommend you give Tia Arnica as soon as you get her home, very frequently for the first day or so (every hour or so is not too often) & then gradually reduce the dose - this really seems to help with pain relief & the post-op bruising & swelling. You may need the dreaded collar - one of our old ladies removed some of her spay stitches & had to go back to the vet to have them re-done!

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
speying an older girlie
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 01:10:05 PM »
Just wanted to add as reassurance for you really, that my old german shepherd was speyed when we got her at age 7 (ish)  She too, like Janes old girls, was fine :)   Infact, when she got home, she wolfed her dinner down, and was acting perfectly normall :)   Think they take it all in their stride :D                    

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
speying an older girlie
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 01:14:19 PM »
Do they recover very quickly then in most cases?  

I'll be having Piper speyed in August sometime and was wondering how much time I should take off work to look after the little mite  :?                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
speying an older girlie
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 02:42:18 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for the comments so far. This will be the third anaesthetic Tia will have had with us - after her eye removal she was really hyper, :shock:  and after the dislocated jaw was really drowsy, but recovers well so I'm not too worried about that.
(For those who haven't heard the story, we don't mistreat her! The eye problem was due to the previous owner, :evil:  and the jaw was brecause she was hit by a bike due to being blind on one side!! :roll: )
I was wondering more about personality change or anything of that nature really?
Cheers,                    
Mary P

Thanks!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
speying an older girlie
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 02:59:56 PM »
:oops: Sorry Mary, misunderstood you  :wink:   Again with both my GSD's  I have never noticed a personality change after speying :D   There is a slight possibility that a bitch after speying can have a bit of trouble controlling her water works, but the vet can test, the vulva to see if this will cause any major problems prior to speying!

I am sure she will be fine 8)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
speying an older girlie
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 04:00:06 PM »
Post-spaying changes will be the same for an older bitch as for a younger bitch so you can expect weight gain & coat changes. It can be easier for an older dog to become sluggish & gain weight than a younger one so you'll have to watch for that & adjust the food intake etc. We have had one older bitch with urinary incontinence following spaying but this was fairly easily treated with drops from the vet.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
speying an older girlie
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 01:39:28 AM »
Thanks. Wednesday is looming now - poor little thing :(                    
Mary P

Thanks!

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
speying an older girlie
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 09:51:14 PM »
Hi,
Tia had her op yesterday, and it's hit her for six. She's walking like a little old lady and wants to be carried down steps and stairs, and is snoozing most of the time.
The animal hospital said she was given a long acting painkiller - I'm wondering how long that could last for and therefore whether she's in pain..... They said keep her quiet - no probs there :(
I hope she'll be brighter tomorrow.                    
Mary P

Thanks!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
speying an older girlie
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 10:02:46 PM »
Awwww she will be fine i'm sure Mary, shes probably just a bit groggy at the moment.  The poor love, give her a big cuddle from me and Indie, sure she will be up and about a bit more tomorrow :)                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
speying an older girlie
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 10:24:02 PM »
Poor Tia :(  If you think shes still sore tomorrow, it might be worth phoning your vet about maybe giving her another pain killer. Some bitches have a lower pain threshold than others. Sending her huge kisses and hope she feels a bit more like herself soon :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
speying an older girlie
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 11:53:27 PM »
Pickle sends lots of love and kisses to poor Tia. Hope she's not in pain - maybe just all stiff and groggy after the anaesthetic?
Am sure she'll be much better in a day or two, and will soon be making the most of all the extra attention  :D  :D  :D
Emma and Pickle xx                    

scoobie

speying an older girlie
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2004, 09:15:03 AM »
Tia hope your feeling better very soon
love and kisses from Edith and scoobie xx :D                    

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
speying an older girlie
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2004, 09:10:53 AM »
Oh poor, poor Tia.  Hope you are feeling better by now.

Love and licks from Piper xxxx                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
speying an older girlie
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2004, 09:31:40 AM »
Oh poor Tia, sometimes it takes longer for some girls to recover.

Ive only just seen your post about behavour change.  :oops: Ive always had girls and have never noticed any difference  at all...... The only thing i would say, is to keep an eye on her weight.

Give that little one a gentle   and kiss from me, for being such a brave girl.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~