Author Topic: Piper having X-Ray  (Read 6180 times)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2004, 10:49:02 AM »
We hope Piper's x-ray reveals everything is fine.   Fingers and paws are crossed for you here in Leicestershire.

Sue and Tilly                    

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2004, 02:26:36 PM »
Awwwwwww thanks so much everyone for all of your concern and kindness.  We are worried obviously and are keeping everything crossed here for good news next week.

The really good thing is that apart from the occasional limp and peculiar run her leg does not appear to be affecting her or causing her pain and she is still enjoying her walks as the vet said she was okay to continue with them.  There's obviously some discomfort there but she is happy enough in herself thank goodness.

We are taking her on sedate walks and for shorter periods and not playing any games with her - so this morning she had obviously had enough of this and decided to make her own fun by chasing a rabbit at about 100mph (well slight exaggeration maybe on the speed... Piper's never been a racing girl :roll: )

Will let everyone know the outcome.

Louise
x                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2004, 04:27:48 PM »
Good luck for next week Piper!                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2004, 02:52:42 PM »
Oh, poor Piper! I totally understand about wanting a particular vet, I have a favourite too. I hope it's nothing serious

Indie sends sloppy kisses

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2004, 03:42:37 PM »
Hi Louise

Sorry to hear that little Piper has to go for an x-ray next week.  The Boys send her lots of kisses and hope everything goes well.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Nat

• Site Member
    • http://www.crazycockers.homestead.com
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2004, 05:38:57 PM »
Poor little piper, fingers crossed for next wednesday ..                    
Nat

Simbarra Cocker Spaniels
www.crazycockers.homestead.com

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2004, 05:21:13 PM »
How did Piper's x-ray go?                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2004, 06:16:25 PM »
Hello everyone,

Just back from picking Piper up from the vets and it is not good news I am afraid  :(

As I had suspected, she has hip displasia in her left hip.  The vet described it as being 'moderate'.  The good news is that she has an excellent right hip, so he said that at least she can rely on that a little bit more.  Luckily Charlie was with me 'cos of course I did a real girly thing and had a little (probably much to Mr Fraser's embarrassment!) and I'm having a little blub now as I type.......  

The vet took time to discuss different options  eg. hip replacement (also advising us that he would not recommend that at this point), walking regimes and weight control etc. which was really kind.    We have had her on a diet and now it is more important than ever that we get her weight down a little bit more.

He has given her the following medication:  Zubrin x 1 per day for 30 days and Synoquin supplements x 2 per day which would be a long term thing.  I have to take her back in two weeks to see how we are getting along.

I called her breeder during the week to ask if her parents were hip scored (I know it's closing the door after the horse has bolted but....).  Neither of them are.  I asked how old Piper's mum was and this was debated between husband and wife for some time before they came up with 6.... The breeder did not even ask me what my name was or Piper's name that's how concerned/interested she was.  I won't waste time going into how disgusted I feel 'cos you will probably be able to guess and it all goes back to that old chestnut - buy only from reputable, caring breeders.

Anyway, I will start surfing the web for advice on diet etc. in relation to hip displasia to see what I can do to help her, but if anyone has any advice then I would be grateful of it.

I feel upset because she has never been able to run that fast and at the North West meet it was really evident (although there was no limping or anything) that she could not keep up with the other Cockers and that makes me really sad  :cry:                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

scoobie

Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2004, 06:29:40 PM »
Louise I am truly sorry to hear about little Piper :( I don't have any knowledge at all about this condition but I would do the same as you and get as much info about this subject as for that breeder..well don't start me off :evil: the main thing is thank god piper has a kind and very caring mum and dad to look after him
hugs and kisses
Edith and scoobie xx                    

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2004, 06:30:55 PM »
So sorry to hear this, poor wee lamb that she is.
I guess it must be a lot for you to take in right now, and quite rightly, you'll want to do lots of research into ways of making Piper's life as comfortable as possible.
And I know it's easy to say, but you musn't forget that Piper is soooooo lucky to have such a loving owner - you clearly adore her, and I am sure she is a very happy little dog, regardless of how fast she can run :D One of my friends has a Cocker who never runs anywhere - she just loves doddling along, and is simply just not of the 'sporty' variety. She's one of the happiest, most chilled out dogs you could meet... her quality of life is excellent.
Sorry I can't give any advice, as am a bit of a Cocker novice, but am sure someone will be along soon with good knowledge of Piper's condition.
Lots of love and good wishes
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2004, 06:46:10 PM »
Hi Louise

Grief you got me going now :cry:   I am so so sorry about your news with little Piper :(   I know its really difficult for you right now, to think of anything, but only the worse, we would all do the same, in your shoes.  Piper has one excellent hip, which is promising, which is good news, and I hate saying this but at least thats something!  I can hear from your post that you are truly upset about this and I know that all of us on here, are right with you there, we all care so much about our dogs and it upsets us all to hear when something goes wrong  :(

I can understand how bad you feel toward the breeder, I can't believe she didn't even ask who you were, and why you were asking, surely this revelation must have some impact on her as to whether she should be breeding from these lines again :?  (sure Jane will know, I'm just guessing)  

I really don't know what else to say, only that I am thinking of you, and with some research and the medication I am sure you will be able to help Piper.  Big hugs to you all there and keep your chin up.

Take care                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2004, 06:48:06 PM »
Sorry to hear about the results :cry:  I think we have had quite good results with the synoquin so its definitely a good thing to try.  Sorry to hear about the response from her breeder too - makes my blood boil so it does :wink:  Give Piper a big kiss from me.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2004, 06:54:10 PM »
Me again........ Just a thought Louise, of course you would have to check with your vet about this one, just clutching at straws really :roll:   But perhaps some hydratherapy sessions would help Piper build up some muscle in the hip :?   As I say I'm not really sure if this will help, but its worth looking into :)                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2004, 07:12:18 PM »
Oh Louise, so sorry to hear that Piper has HD :cry: .  Sounds like you have a good vet though and Piper will monitored carefully there.  It's good that you know now and can do something to make her comfortable.  I wouldn't worry about her not being able to run as fast as other dogs, going by what I've seen from the photos in the gallery she looks like she's enjoying herself as much as all the others are.  Give her a big sloppy kiss from Morgan and Cooper and tell her to be a good girl and take her medicine, no tricks like eating the food and leaving the tablet, like Morgan does  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

scoobie

Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2004, 07:14:55 PM »
Louise I apologise for saying Piper was a he and in fact she is a she I was annoyed about that nasty breeder when I was typing sorry :oops:
Edith x