Author Topic: Piper having X-Ray  (Read 6179 times)

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2004, 07:38:12 PM »
Hi Louise, i'm so sorry to hear Piper has HD, i know in some cases hydrotherapy is good for exercising, and building up the muscel, that supports the joint.

Like Shirley says your vet will monitor Piper very carefully, and advice you on  what is best for your little one.

Give that little girl a gentle    ((( hug ))) from me.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline annemie

• Site Member
    • http://members.chello.nl/~a.notten1/
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2004, 08:44:32 PM »
Hi, I'm sorry to hear that Piper has HD. Where do they check up when they breed? Here in Holland on eyes and hips.

I'm sorry that I don't have any advise for you. Your Piper is the first cocker which I heard of.                    
Greetings,

Annemie and a big kiss from Joep, Joris and Henry

[img width= height=]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/annemiejojo/Webfiets.jpg[/img]

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2004, 08:59:30 PM »
Louise I apologise for saying Piper was a he and in fact she is a she I was annoyed about that nasty breeder when I was typing sorry :oops:  
Edith x

Edith - honestly, don't worry, Piper is not a very feminine name so she's often called a 'he' (our fault will pick a more suitable name next time!).

Thanks for all of your replies.  When I go back with her in a couple of weeks I will probably be in a better position knowledge wise to discuss the situation in more detail.  Thanks for the hydratherapy suggestion Emma and Barb, again that's something I will need to look at.

Our vet advised that there are several causes for HD - genetic, diet (but mainly in larger breeds) or possibly even a knock when the dog is quite young, so I am not simply 'blaming' the breeder, despite the fact that with everything I have learned from COL, I do feel that it is irresponsible of a breeder to not check all is well with both dogs prior to breeding.

Anyway, I've calmed myself down a little now and am focusing on that one really good hip and plan to apply damage limitation measures to her bad hip.....

Oh  and thanks Shirley, you're right, despite her occasional limp and poor running ability she is just the happiest little girl.

Kisses from Cocker cousins and human friends are gratefully received and will be passed on with extras to little Piper - who's totally zonked out now after a slap up chicken dinner!

Louise                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2004, 09:20:54 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear Piper's bad news, Louise  :(                    

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2004, 09:32:29 PM »
Hi, I'm sorry to hear that Piper has HD. Where do they check up when they breed? Here in Holland on eyes and hips.

I'm sorry that I don't have any advise for you. Your Piper is the first cocker which I heard of.

Hi Annemie, sorry must have been posting at the same time as you.  Reputable breeders here would also check eyes and hips. Unfortunately Piper's breeder had neither checked.  

At the end of the day, it comes down to us purchasing Piper without those checks being made.  I was not aware of COL when we decided to get a Cocker, had I have been I would have done things quite differently.  The best I can do now is spread the word about COL to others considering purchasing a Cocker to ensure that they make the right decision about where they go to get one.

That said WE LOVE AND ADORE PIPER and would not change her for a moment :D                    

Offline annemie

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2004, 09:36:45 PM »

Hi Annemie, sorry must have been posting at the same time as you.  Reputable breeders here would also check eyes and hips. Unfortunately Piper's breeder had neither checked.  

At the end of the day, it comes down to us purchasing Piper without those checks being made.  I was not aware of COL when we decided to get a Cocker, had I have been I would have done things quite differently.  The best I can do now is spread the word about COL to others considering purchasing a Cocker to ensure that they make the right decision about where they go to get one.

That said WE LOVE AND ADORE PIPER and would not change her for a moment :D

I'm sorry to hear that her breeder isn't responsible :(  We bought our Joep from a puppyfarm and we thought we do it better, so we bought Joris with pedigree  :cry:  but his breeder is also not responsible.

How old is Piper?

Piper is with good owners :P                    
Greetings,

[img width= height=]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/annemiejojo/Webfiets.jpg[/img]

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2004, 09:46:26 PM »
Louise I am so so sorry to hear of Piper's HD :(

sending a from Blue, Bailey and me                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2004, 09:46:46 PM »
Piper was 1 on Monday. This is what worries me and I need to find out more information, because when I was young my grandma had a GSD who's "back legs went" (due to HD) but no one in the family seems to recall any signs before it all happened when she was about 9....

I've got a bit of research to do.  

Sorry to hear about your experience with Joris.  Sometimes, even with the best intentions, good knowledge and awareness, we can make errors in judgement  :(                    

Offline annemie

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2004, 09:51:47 PM »
Piper was 1 on Monday. This is what worries me and I need to find out more information, because when I was young my grandma had a GSD who's \"back legs went\" (due to HD) but no one in the family seems to recall any signs before it all happened when she was about 9....

I've got a bit of research to do.  

Sorry to hear about your experience with Joris.  Sometimes, even with the best intentions, good knowledge and awareness, we can make errors in judgement  :(

Oh my God, that is very young. I know that here in Holland there is a vet who operates hd. With some dogs he place the hip in another way so that it isn't sore anymore. Do you have in England orthopedics for dogs?

Maybe it's wise to get a second opinion.  Take care                    
Greetings,

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2004, 10:04:28 PM »
quote]

Oh my God, that is very young. I know that here in Holland there is a vet who operates hd. With some dogs he place the hip in another way so that it isn't sore anymore. Do you have in England orthopedics for dogs?

Maybe it's wise to get a second opinion.  Take care

Thanks for your concern and advice annemie, my vet did say that hip transplants were available but that he would not recommend one at this stage.  

Again, this is all information I need to take time to find out about.

Louise                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2004, 10:56:54 PM »
So sorry to hear about Piper, Louise :( If you have a search on the Champdogs message board, a number of owners have posted recently about HD in their dogs & various recommendations have been made regarding supplements like glucosamine & also about hydrotherapy as already mentioned here - could be useful to you :)

HD is one of the most difficult conditions in dogs. It certainly sounds like poor Piper's breeders are neither caring or responsible but even dogs which have low hip scores can produce puppies with horrendous scores & although there is a genetic component to HD, it's not a simple mode of inheritance but is thought to involve lots of different genes, making it very difficult to control. In Cockers, only a very small number of dogs have been hip-scored so far compared to other breeds so it's not easy to say how big a problem HD is in the breed :(

Jane                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2004, 12:29:11 AM »
I agree with Jane that glucosamine can work wonders in some dogs. A friend who has a gsd with HD swears by 'runaround' from Stock Nutrition, which has other goodies in it (so much so her dog trainer thought her dog moved really well at a class, and the trainer didn't know about the HD even though my friends dog had been suffering badly from it):

http://www.doghealth.co.uk

Good luck with Piper.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2004, 07:59:50 AM »
Thanks Jane and Penny, I shall look into glucosamine and 'run around'.

Jane, yes, my vet did say that presently it is not that common to have Cockers hip scored.  I shall have a look at the Champdogs message board to see what I can find out on there.

I already have several questions for my vet and hope to be quite well read up on the subject by the time we go back in a couple of weeks so we can discuss what is best for her.

Thanks for all of your help.                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2004, 09:12:21 AM »
Louise,

So sorry to hear about Piper :( she is such a happy bouncy girl I am sure with yours and Charlies help she will take this in her stride (No pun).

Take care,

Michelle                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Piper having X-Ray
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2004, 10:20:23 AM »
I'm soooo sorry to hear about Piper  :cry:
Hopefully with the help and advice from  people on the board and your vet you can make things easier for Piper  :)
By the way I LOVED the name Piper....it was on ly list of GIRLS name's...but my hubby wouldn't let me have it  :roll:  in the end the kids picked her name, of course he regrets that now  :wink:  as he looks a right ponce shouting "Buttons"  :lol: