Author Topic: Kennel cough  (Read 1429 times)

Offline xxxrei

• Site Member
Kennel cough
« on: June 02, 2004, 04:04:35 PM »
I've just come home from the vets, rather shocked to be told that Dyan has kennel cough.  He is only 18 weeks old. He hasn't been that unwell but woke up this morning with gunky eyes and a slightly runny nose. He is teething at the moment so I presumed that his not eating quite as much and sleeping slightly more was due to that.  The only dogs that he has contact with are those from his puppy training classes,and the odd dog in the park; none of whom seemed unwell. The vet said that some dogs are carriers,which is a bit worrying. Apparently there are many different types of kennel cough, only one of which they are vacinated against, but there is a vacination that they can have via their nose for another strain of the virus. Anyway my poor little boy cannot go out for walks now for a week,  and I'm going to be very wary when he can; the trouble is there doesn't seem to be much that you can do to protect them.                    

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Kennel cough
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 06:09:53 PM »
Sorry to hear that..
Kennel cough often sounds and looks a lot worse than it is. Try to keep Dyan quiet as excercise and activity often make the condition worse. You could him some honey and baby Benylin to sooth his throat and cough.You might want to think about giving garlic and fenugreek tablets available from Dorwest Herbs as a preventative measure in future.

Kennel cough is airborne so just being around dogs that have been in contact with, or who have suffered with KC recently means they could be carrying the infection. Dogs who have had Kennel Cough should be kept away from other dogs for 3 weeks. Sometimes vets will prescribe anti-biotics to prevent secondary infection, some prefer to let it run it's course.You should see a big improvement soon.

Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline xxxrei

• Site Member
Kennel cough
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 10:24:03 PM »
Thanks for the advice Tracey, I'll try baby Benylin tomorrow.He really isn't coughing that much, but is very snotty and is sneezing alot. Apart from that everything is Ok , he has just eaten a special chicken dinner and is enjoying all the fuss.  The 3 week quaranteen will be very hard though, especially as he has only really just started to understand what proper walks are all about!  

P.S. My husband wants to know if anyone has managed to teach their cocker to blow their nose!? :?