Author Topic: Should i call out the vet?  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Juel

• Site Member
Should i call out the vet?
« on: June 06, 2004, 12:09:16 PM »
Hi folks,

I would be really grateful of some advice if anyone can help.
Honey has been poorly since thursday,she started with loose motion which seems to be getting better but it's the sickness that i'm worried about ......i came home on Friday to quite a few sick patches,she was sick again in the evening so i starved her until last night when i gave her boiled chicken&rice but she was sick again twice in the night & is now off her food,she is very quiet in herself & seems to want to sleep alot..every now & then she has a run around with her tail wagging but she is quiet!

As you know it's emergency only calls at the weekend & i know it's not exactly an emergency but i am quite worried about her do you think i should call the vet out or wait until tomorrow morning :?

Any help advice would be gratefully recieved,
luv
juel xx                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 12:42:36 PM »
I always ring the vet for advice if I'm worried as they'll be best placed to tell what's best to do. I'd make sure Honey gets plenty of water as not only is she getting dehydrated from the sickness but also from the hot weather—ask vet about this.

How old is Honey?                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 05:15:41 PM »
It's such a worry when they are sick, particularly if they are young or don't carry much weight.
I have found in the past that starving, as you did, has worked.
Only once the sickness still didnt clear up, this was with our labrador and the vet had to give her an injection.
If you are worried then phone for advice, even if you have to wait until tomorrow to see the vet.
Hope Honey feels better soon                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 08:25:01 PM »
I'd phone and speak to a vet if you are worried. Does your surgery use locums or their own vets as cover? They may give advice on the phone.

Even try giving her some cooled boiled sugar water, she may well drink it because it's sweet and it may give her a wee lift energy wise.

Indie had something similar and I took him in after three days and got him an anti emetic injection and a vitamin shot, he perked up so quickly afterwards, they do bounce back. I hope she's better soon, keep us posted

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Juel

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 08:40:50 PM »
Hiya,
Thanks everyone for your replies :) .....it's great to have online help :wink:

Thankfully Honey is ok......i decided to ring the vet & he wanted to see her so i took her down & after a thorough examination he reassured me that she "only" had gastroentritis & after a couple of jabs she as perked up really quickly...as you said she would shonajoy :D.

She seemed so sleepy,floppy&unresponsive earlier which as we all know is not like a cocker :wink:......thank-goodness se seems better i was soooo worried about my furbaby :)

Anyway thanks again folks
catch you all soon,
luv
juel xx                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 08:47:00 PM »
:D So pleased to hear Honey is feeling better :D