Author Topic: Amputee...advice please  (Read 8414 times)

Offline marin_uk

• Donator
Amputee...advice please
« on: October 14, 2008, 06:45:42 PM »
Grace was x rayed this morning for a limp that has not reacted to anti inflammation drugs...only to be told she had a bone tumour in her front leg. We had to decide there and then and agreed to the amuptation (I've sinced been reasearching and this is the best way of saving her life to prevent it from spreading). So now she is having her first night away from home minus her leg, hopefully she will be home tomorrow.

Has anyone else been through this ordeal, does anyone have experience of a 3 legged dog? Is there any advice that people could give us to accommodate the change at home and out and about?

I'm trying to be as philisophical as possible but emotions are running pretty high.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Amputee...advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 06:50:27 PM »
One of my childhood collies had 3 legs and he got around no problems at all. They really do adapt so well that I don't actually think you need to change anything. One thing I will say though is do watch her weight and try and keep her as slim as possible so that her legs aren't taking on any extra strain.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 06:53:04 PM »
One of my childhood collies had 3 legs and he got around no problems at all. They really do adapt so well that I don't actually think you need to change anything. One thing I will say though is do watch her weight and try and keep her as slim as possible so that her legs aren't taking on any extra strain.

agree with Jay - she will adjust to this much easier than you think  :luv: :luv:

Thinking of you all, you've made the best decision but I know it's an incredibly hard one  :-\ :luv: :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline cupcakebarb

• Site Member
  • Oscar my baby boy n Bramble my baby girl
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 06:54:56 PM »
Sorry got no advise but lots of love to you all :luv:

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 06:58:34 PM »
It really is amazing how they learn to manage with three legs. I cant imagine how it must feel for you though but its the best thing to do. Loads of luck it goes smoothly.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 06:59:58 PM »
I can only agree with what the others have said, Grace should adapt really well but what a horrible decision to have to make. I hope she makes a speedy recovery :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline marbledmolly

• Site Member
  • Remy & Jade
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 07:01:27 PM »
Yes our old border collie was hit by a car when she was only a puppy and had to have one of her back legs amputated. It's was a traumatic time not only for the dog but us as well. It it a front or back leg that has been removed. It's much easier for them to recover if its a front as it's easier for them to learn to balance. The back will take a bit more time as it's the power leg and also balancing for toileting. It can be a bit of a shock at first but they recover well and soon learn to cope. You may have to have a towel or something under the dog to help her to learn to walk to start with until she learns to balance again.

My thoughts go out to you :-* the early days are the hardest but longterm most people in the park didn't even notice our dog only had 3 legs she still ran so quick  :lol2:

Edited - I've just realised you've already said it was a front leg,  which means she will learn to adapt much quicker  :D

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 07:05:18 PM »
Yes. We had Heidi our 6 year old rescue springer for a matter of months before a huge tumour was discovered in her hind leg. Like you we hesitated at first then finally decided that she deserved a chance. Because of the site of the tumour her entire leg had to come off right up to the hip. The vet did a write up in the local paper about her because it was so unusual and she told us later that it was her first amputation  :o (we are still with her eight years later, she is a fab vet :luv: ).
After Heidi came round from the anasthetic, the vet wrapped a towel round Heidi's middle and held the two ends up to support her, so that she could go out for a wee. Heidi had other ideas and hopped off leaving both vet and towel behind  :005: .
Once she had got the anasthetic out of her system and had healed a bit (as with any op. she was a bit whingy for a few days and we slept downstairs with her) she was absolutely fine and never looked back. She did have a couple of tumbles early on as we have steps in and out, but picked herself up straight away and carried on regardless. We did use the towel method for the first week or two, especially up and down steps until she decided she didn't need us. Offlead walks continued as per usual although we were careful not to overdo it as we didn't want to put undue strain on her remaining hind leg, so we avoided uneven ground as much as we could. We made sure her weight remained stable too.
TBH I think Grace will be absolutely fine. Dogs take life as it comes and don't do much 'if only' type of thinking AFAIK.
Hope everything goes well. I am sure you have done the right thing for her  :D  :luv: .
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline marin_uk

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 07:12:28 PM »
Thank you for all your advice and support and so quick!

We are just wandering around the house like lost souls and Will wont leave our sides. Got lots of thoughts going around in my head. It is her front leg so perhaps she will not be as badly affected as I fear.

I'll keep you posted when she gets home tommorrow.

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 07:36:16 PM »
 Years ago, I had a Skye  :luv:  called Jess, who had a hind leg amputated after a tumour was discovered in her foot, she seemed to accept it really well, although as has been said, a hind leg is worse than a front, she  coped amazingly, however we discovered after a few months that the cancer had spread and had to have her pts  :'( which was devastating after all she had endured.

These days I'm sure that it will have been discovered earlier and Grace will make a full recovery   ;)

Sending positive healing thoughts to you, Grace and your family  :luv: :-*

Offline BabyB

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 07:37:44 PM »
No advice, but hugs to you all  :luv: :-*
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 08:07:18 PM »
Aaaaw, poor Grace. Big hugs to you and her, I hope she makes a fast recovery.  :-*
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 08:09:32 PM »
I have no advice other than to say I have seen quite a few dogs with three legs and they seem to manage extremely well.

I am so sorry this has happened to Grace.  Lots of healing thoughts to Grace and love to you all.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 08:17:58 PM »
I have no advice - but big {{hugs}} to you all  :luv:

Healing thoughts for Grace  :luv: :-*

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 08:18:46 PM »
Poor Grace  :'( hope all goes well  :blink:

(((( hugs to you both)))))