Author Topic: kennel cough or chest infection  (Read 602 times)

Offline Sarah16

• Site Member
  • Mollie
kennel cough or chest infection
« on: October 24, 2008, 08:02:43 PM »
My mum has a 7 month old working cocker spaniel, Rosie and a 6 year old cavalier king Charles spaniel, Holly. On Monday Rosie started sneezing and coughing so they took her to the vets who said she had a chest infection, gave her antibiotics and cough mixture. Today my mum was looking after the children while I was at work and when they came home they said that Hollie had been sneezing and coughing so much it sounded like she had something stuck in the throat :'(. I rang my mum to see how they were as Holly has a heart murmur, a bit overweight, and gets breathless sometimes.I said was it kennel cough as I thought it was unusual for 2 dogs both have a chest infection as kennel cough is rife around here at the moment. My mum said no they both have had the vaccination so they couldn't catch it, it thought they could as there are different strains :huh: :huh:. She also said she hadn't taken Holly to the vets as she thinks she has caught a cold from Rosie and had a chest infection too so was sharing the medicine between them :huh: :huh:. I am worried that it could be kennel cough and obviously if they are sharing the medication they they will not get the full course. :huh: :huh:

Needless, to say I am keeping Mollie away just in case, just wanted to know your thoughts as I am supposed to be looking after them in 2 weeks time while they go on holiday and I have read it can be contagious for a few months after symptoms go.

Pippa

Offline Spaniel Ears

Re: kennel cough or chest infection
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 11:37:11 AM »
As you say, the both need a full course of medication if it is a chest infection or kennel cough.  Roxy has a cough earlier this year that wasn't as bad a kennel cough, but a course of antibiotics cleared it really quickly.  I would encourage your mum to take them back to the vets. 

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Re: kennel cough or chest infection
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 06:33:06 PM »
The kennel cough vaccine doesn't cover ALL strains of kennel cough, and it is rife at the moment. If she worsens though, take her back to the vet, as coughing can also happen with a heart problem, though the something caught in the throat cough is typically kennel cough.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)