Author Topic: Piper HD Update  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« on: June 28, 2004, 06:08:01 PM »
Just an update on Piper.

Today we have been to the University of Liverpool, where they decided they wanted to repeat the Radiography.  Unfortunately this reavealed further changes that now show Hip Dysplasia to both hips  :cry:

It would appear that her left hip is now 'remodelling' itself and is therefore becoming more stable whilst her right hip is now about to go through the same that the left hip has gone through so she will be in pain.  She has  been given Metacam to control the pain.

We have been advised that conservative management should see Piper through the painful period and once both hips have 'remodelled' themselves she should be in less discomfort and will hopefully lead a near normal life  :)  - until her later years  :(   Surgery has not been recommended at present, however, depending on how she copes that option is always available in the future.

She has to have controlled exercise for the forseeable future, sit-stand exercises (20) three times daily and 2-3 hydrotherapy sessions a week. Crikey, this is going to keep me busy  :shock:

Oh, she also has to get down to 13KG  :shock:  :shock: (OMG)

They were fantastic at the University and I feel really well informed and sure about exactly what is happening and what we expect to happen.

Thank goodness for insurance.  If anyone is reading this and is wondering whether they should get insurance for their new addition or not, if you can afford it definitely do it.  I have Marks and Spencers lifetime cover and they have been excellent so far (incidentally, the lady on the phone from there the other day let slip that they are the same company as Petplan....).

Thanks for everyone's concern over these last few weeks - we'll see everyone at the North West meet!

Louise, Charlie & Piper xx                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Piper HD Update
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 06:13:14 PM »
Poor Piper - like you though - thank goodness for good insurance. It'll certainly keep you a busy bee.

Hope it's not too bad for her.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 08:24:15 PM »
Hi Louise. Sorry Piper has been putting you through the mill so much lately, it must be upsetting hearing all these things :(  when all you want is to know that she'll get better. It sounds like she is a very lucky doggie to have such a caring and concerned owner - it really sounds like she is having the best possible treatment, and I'm sure you'll do everything in the world to make her comfortable and happy throughout her life.
Keep us posted on her progress, oh and good luck with the diet. If Piper has any goods tips for losing 3kg, can she pass them on to me - I could do with some help myself  :lol:
Lots of love, and healing thoughts,
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 08:28:28 PM »
Keep us posted on her progress, oh and good luck with the diet. If Piper has any goods tips for losing 3kg, can she pass them on to me - I could do with some help myself  :lol:  
Lots of love, and healing thoughts,
Emma and Pickle xx

Thanks Emma - believe me Piper definitely does not have any good tips for losing 3KG  :lol:  :lol:

To be honest I think I'm more stressed with her weight than anything else at the minute  :roll:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 08:33:38 PM »
:) Hi Louise

Poor Piper :(  What can I say?? Such a shame she has to go through the pain :(  but at least she may have some long pain-free periods by the sound of it :)   As Picklesmum has said, she is a very lucky girlie that she has such caring and loving owners :wink:  

Where do you need to go for the hydrotherapy sessions?  How did Piper enjoy her Wafcol?

Give her a big cuddle from me and Indie, and a big hug to you too :)

Looking forward to meeting you and the gorgeous Piper soon 8)

Take care                    

Offline PennyB

Piper HD Update
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 08:35:26 PM »
I don't know if its been mentioned but others have had good results with glucosamine combinations. I know a number of people on dogpages who've got dogs with HD.

Have heard that hydrotherapy is very good as well. Does your insurance cover that as I know petplans doesn't.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 08:37:46 PM »
Louise I'm sorry Piper HD is worse than first thought but it sounds as if Piper is in very good hands there :wink:

I've just recently changed insurance to M&S so I was quite reassured when I read your post that I had made the right choice :D

Sending a slimline ((hug)) for Piper and cocker kisses from Bailey bump and Boo xx                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 08:56:43 PM »
Where do you need to go for the hydrotherapy sessions? How did Piper enjoy her Wafcol?

Thanks Emma - there is a hydrotherapy pool in Leigh.  I think it is like a tank and the doggies (wearing a flotation jacket) swim against a current.  There is another one called Teazledown, Preston way and they have a bigger pool and you participate throwing their toys and having them swim towards you which appeals to me a bit more at the moment.  The lady who owns this goes to my dog class so will speak to her on Wednesday evening.

Wafcol no problem, one of the benefits of having a dog who will eat anything!  The only thing is that it's not low calorie.........  Did you know that we are going to have her thyroid tested in the next few weeks?  Mayve this could shed some light on her weight.  If I cut her food down anymore she'll be eating nothing  :shock:

Looking forward to meeting you and yours at the North West meet - in fancy dress or not as the case may be!

I don't know if its been mentioned but others have had good results with glucosamine combinations. I know a number of people on dogpages who've got dogs with HD.

Have heard that hydrotherapy is very good as well. Does your insurance cover that as I know petplans doesn't.

Hi Penny, she is currently on synoquin 2 per day.  I actually asked about this and they told me at Liverpool that although in humans, this type of drug has been found to be of great benefit, in animals it remains to be proven at the moment.  But there is no harm in her keep taking them.

As for the insurance, it does cover hydrotherapy however, your vet has to write down a certain word(s) - sorry can't remember exactly what it is - to ensure that you are covered..... will check that out carefully.                    

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 09:27:36 PM »
I just thought I would let you know that we went through a similar thing with Goldie.

She was only about 5 months old when she was diagnosed, she was in terrible pain and unable to walk without crying.
I wont do into loads of details here, I can send you a message if you want any extra info.

But, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
If I say that things looked so bleak at the start that it looked as though either she was going to be put to sleep because she couldnt walk or at least not live for many years.

She is now 10 and you should see her running around the garden with Lottie.
She can run, jump and is very happy.
She can even jump into the back of my car.
I just have to keep walks on hard surfaces down to a minimum and watch her weight.
Her piccie is on the puppies photo forum with Lottie and I think she looks pretty good for her age.

I do hope everything turns out well

XX                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Piper HD Update
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 09:35:40 PM »
Poor Piper :(  Have you told her that she will be going swimming three times a week :wink: Hope you see some improvement with her soon. What a brave girl she is being - give her a big kiss from Vegas and Dallas                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 10:19:07 PM »
Good luck,
I hope she enjoys the water! Tia would love to be 'made' to swim 3 times a week!
Cheers,                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 10:35:28 PM »
Sorry to hear that Piper's other hip is going the same way  :cry: Hopefully the Metacam will keep her comfortable, and I'm sure she'll have a good time swimming with toys. I really admire the way you seem to be coping with what must be a very difficult situation  :D                    

Offline PennyB

Piper HD Update
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 11:10:35 PM »
Hi Penny, she is currently on synoquin 2 per day.  I actually asked about this and they told me at Liverpool that although in humans, this type of drug has been found to be of great benefit, in animals it remains to be proven at the moment.  But there is no harm in her keep taking them.

As for the insurance, it does cover hydrotherapy however, your vet has to write down a certain word(s) - sorry can't remember exactly what it is - to ensure that you are covered..... will check that out carefully.

It still remains to proven in humans as well as there haven't been any controlled studies done yet.

Ah yes my vet practice is adept at that sort of wording as well so you get the most out of your insurance!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Piper HD Update
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 11:18:07 PM »
Hi again Louise,
On the topic of Piper losing some weight, you will need to cut back on the starchy foods and replace at least one quarter of her starchy ration with raw or cooked carrots also add some finely grated cabbage and onion mix to her diet. If the weight problem is of a glandular nature (which is not uncommon) then use a daily infusion of rosemary herb. Also put grated parsley and dandelion and a crushed kelp tablet on her main meal as it can have a tonic effect on the glandular system. You will also need to increase her bran intake and ensure effective elimination with the help of laxatives ie senna pods (2-3 pods daily).

Hope it is of use,

Karen                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Juel

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2004, 11:26:04 PM »
Hi Louise,
So sorry to hear of Pipers problems,((((((hugs))))) to you both... i'm sure she is in loving,caring hands & she can only thrive on that :wink: . I hope the hydrothearapy helps her loads,good job cockers like water eeh!!!

I will need to renew Harveys insurance soon & will definately look at M&S's now.

luv
juels&Harvey xx