Author Topic: lip fold infection  (Read 8732 times)

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
lip fold infection
« on: January 13, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
I cant find any past threads on the subject maybe you can help

Im not sure if the top folds in Rubys mouth look sore or not  :huh: what made me try and look is beause she has stinky saliva,when she mouths you,you know she has iyswim,her breath doesnt seem bad at all though.

She hasnt pawed her mouth or been off her food.

Maybe she is just a stinker  :lol2: can anyone tell me the symptoms

Thanks
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline bracken

• Site Member
Re: lip fold infection
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:23:27 PM »
My Bailey gets smelly chops but we use Hibi scrub  :blink: She was checked by my vet and he recommend the skin cleanser.

not sure of symptoms of lip fold infection  :-\

Jo

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 09:24:28 PM »
I have some hini scrunb,what exactly do you do with it  :D
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
Dilute it with some water and gently apply to the affected area twice a day, dry the area thoroughly and then I would apply some Thornit powder to help keep the area dry. Before you do any of the above I would trim the hair around the lip folds really short....after a couple of days it should clear up.
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:33:14 PM »
We put some with warm water then use cotton wool to clean all around inside, they don't really like it but you will be surprised the bits the cotton wool picks up. Then using a flannel soak with Hi Bi and wash all around the muzzel several times.  Bailey is fairly smelly in the chops department so we do this about every 2 weeks.
Jo

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 09:36:05 PM »
I'm so glad you've posted this, I've bought some but haven't dare use it yet.   Can someone please advise how much to dilute by i.e. 1 part to how many parts water  :D   Thanks in advance and apologies to original OP for butting in on this thread.   

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 09:39:45 PM »
Dilute it with some water and gently apply to the affected area twice a day, dry the area thoroughly and then I would apply some Thornit powder to help keep the area dry. Before you do any of the above I would trim the hair around the lip folds really short....after a couple of days it should clear up.

Do you put the thornitts in the folds or just around the outside of the mouth.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:42:09 PM »
I dilute it roughly 50/50 and yep put the thornit right in the folds on the outside (not inside the mouth) it's easier if you can get your dog to lay down while you do this...

Visit our website

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 09:42:46 PM »
I'm so glad you've posted this, I've bought some but haven't dare use it yet.   Can someone please advise how much to dilute by i.e. 1 part to how many parts water  :D   Thanks in advance and apologies to original OP for butting in on this thread.   

I don't measure to precise Jeanette to be honest but maybe 1 part hibi 10 water approx  :blink:

I have never used Thornits on their chops.

Jo

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 10:16:19 PM »
interesting posts..

Bracken-maybe Ruby is just a stinky chops too

Is this a symptom of lip fold,what are any other symptoms

Kelly-her hair is pretty short around the outside of her lip folds,i cant see anything that doesnt look right

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 10:30:56 PM »
Other symptoms are, swelling, redness & inflamed lip folds, it's the bottom lipfolds which are most frequently affected, sometimes you can get a greenish discharge aswell....

Sounds like Ruby has normal doggy breath  :005:

Visit our website

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 10:39:01 PM »
hmmmmm,i think you're right  :lol2: 

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 10:44:47 PM »
My old Rescue Boy used to dribble a lot had a sore mouth that smelt very bad and was very sensitive about us looking. It eventually turned out that he had extremely bad mouth ulcers. He had numerous ops and antibiotics, that would keep it at bay for a while then it would flare up again. He had numerous tests which didn't really turn up anything. We never found out what it was. I'm not saying this is the case though as I have never before or since seen this problem.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 10:45:26 PM »

I don't measure to precise Jeanette to be honest but maybe 1 part hibi 10 water approx  :blink:

I have never used Thornits on their chops.

Jo

Thanks Jo and Kelly

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 10:54:22 PM »
Tilly has very smelly chops at the moment (not her breath, but definitely in her mouth area) so I decided to tackle it with Hibiscrub as recommended on COL.  I had some trouble getting the Hibiscrub tho'  ::).  When the pharmacist asked me what it was for I blithely told him it had been recommended for my dog's lip-fold dermatitis.  He told me he couldn't sell it to me as it was against the law for him to sell medications for non-human use  :o.  But it's only skin cleanser!!  So I went to the other chemist in town and lied  ph34r.  How silly.

Tilly is scratching her chin and mouth area quite a lot, but I will carry on with the (illegal  ph34r) Hibiscrub.

Sue and Tilly