Author Topic: lip fold infection  (Read 8730 times)

Offline Cocoa

• Site Member
Re: lip fold infection
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 09:53:43 AM »
Tilly has very smelly chops at the moment (not her breath, but definitely in her mouth area) so I decided to tackle it with Hibiscrub as recommended on COL.  I had some trouble getting the Hibiscrub tho'  ::).  When the pharmacist asked me what it was for I blithely told him it had been recommended for my dog's lip-fold dermatitis.  He told me he couldn't sell it to me as it was against the law for him to sell medications for non-human use  :o.  But it's only skin cleanser!!  So I went to the other chemist in town and lied  ph34r.  How silly.

Tilly is scratching her chin and mouth area quite a lot, but I will carry on with the (illegal  ph34r) Hibiscrub.

Sue and Tilly

I had the same trouble with the pharmacists in Sainsbury.  They asked me what it was for so I said it was for my dog and they wouldn't sell it to me.  I said, OK its not for the dog its for me to wash my hands with  ph34r needless to say they wouldn't stand for that >:(  I got some "contraband" from somewhere else.  I used it at the weekend on Cocoa and made it far too strong.  Poor little Cocoa was sitting there with foam all coming out of her mouth and then spent the rest of the day salivating.  I was so worried that I had poisoned her but she is OK now.  She must have the cleanest muzzle going now  :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 10:13:30 AM »
you may be able to get the Hibi from somewhere like Scats or an agricultural supplier - much much cheaper (although you might have to buy in volume...)
helen & jarvis x

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 10:13:54 AM »
We used to have it in both Rescue kennels and in Boarding. I think we got it from the vets. Mind you prob more expensive that way.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 10:20:04 AM »
ok, for Hibiscrub I would go to an Equine supplier...like here....

http://www.online-equine.co.uk/details.php/p198_hibiscrub.html
helen & jarvis x

Offline Cocoa

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 10:35:59 AM »
That's much cheaper and in a larger bottle as well.

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 10:59:24 AM »
Willow has smelly chops too, absolutely no sign of infection, the smell is like 'damp cloth' if you know what I mean.  May try the Hibiscrub, see what happens.

Willow and Katie

Offline debbiedaywalker

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 11:59:27 AM »

My last cocker used to get lip fold dermatitis.  You can tell because the area around the fold looks slightly red and inflamed, also when I cleaned the area with hibi the cotton wool would be brown with brown specks.  She got used to this procedure (every few days) and would sit patiently, bless her little heart.  I now really appreciate how good she really was since getting Dexter the destroyer!

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 03:27:46 PM »
Bailey is 4 now and always had smelly chops but never a lip fold infection. I find if she is stressed (eg going to the vet.) the smell is worse than ever. We have been cleaning her teeth regularly too but nothing works except the Hibi scrup on a regular basis.

Jo

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 03:51:37 PM »
I use hibiscrub and Thornits on William as he's prone to lip fold infection on both sides of his mouth. Like Livercake, I buy hibiscrub at an equine supplier, works out much cheaper and they don't ask what you need it for.

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 05:27:04 PM »

:o :o Wow, thanks for that Helen - I paid more than £9 for an identical bottle.  I don't think I will be frequenting the chemists for this is future  >:D  They make you lie and then they rip you off  >:D >:D

Sue and TIlly

Offline beepee

• Limited Member
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 10:02:40 PM »
When our previous cocker suffered from this, about 10 years ago, our vet reccomended smearing vasoline on the affected area twice a day. It seemed to work.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 10:12:05 PM »

:o :o Wow, thanks for that Helen - I paid more than £9 for an identical bottle.  I don't think I will be frequenting the chemists for this is future  >:D  They make you lie and then they rip you off  >:D >:D

Sue and TIlly

:o :o That was a bit steep, bought some a couple of weeks ago online and it is £3.99.     

I tried to clean Indie's lipfolds with it tonight and she wasn't impressed one bit, she ended up hiding under the table.   ::)

Offline Li7nda

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »
Jesse has lip fold pyroderma and has had it for about 6 weeks.  She absolutely reeked and had to have a general anesthetic to clean it up.  Biopsies have been sent out and she does have a bacterial infection.  She has been on anti biotics for this amount of time and I have to clean the folds with Nolvadent, but there doesn't seem much improvement.  My vet said she might need to go on a course of steroids and after that have her lipfolds removed.

Does anyone know if there is another way of treating this.  Her poor mouth bleeds every day when I clean round it  and I am sure this can't be right, not after all this time.
Linda, Jesse and Bentleyxx

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 03:54:06 PM »
My first Cocker, Josh, had surgery on one side of his mouth after getting recurrent lip fold infections and it worked really well as we had no further problems. He had it done at the same time as some dental work. I don't really like them having a general anaesthetic, but it was definitely worth it in this instance. He had a few stitches but they didn't bother him. His teeth seemed to stay cleaner afterwards so I wonder if there is a link between lip fold infections and plaque on teeth? William is prone to lip fold infections and also has quite a lot of plaque for no obvious reason. If they have lip fold problems can those bacteria affect their teeth? I'd be interested to know.

Offline BabyB

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 04:45:20 PM »
My first Cocker, Josh, had surgery on one side of his mouth after getting recurrent lip fold infections and it worked really well as we had no further problems. He had it done at the same time as some dental work. I don't really like them having a general anaesthetic, but it was definitely worth it in this instance. He had a few stitches but they didn't bother him. His teeth seemed to stay cleaner afterwards so I wonder if there is a link between lip fold infections and plaque on teeth? William is prone to lip fold infections and also has quite a lot of plaque for no obvious reason. If they have lip fold problems can those bacteria affect their teeth? I'd be interested to know.
I notice Li7nda said Jesse had lip fold pyoderma - Morgan has 'normal' Pyoderma, but had to have a few teeth out when he was diagnosed with it when he was 6yrs old, although mine have their teeth cleaned regularly - our vet said it was def. all connected, hence why I could claim on his insurance for his dental work.
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind