Author Topic: Working Cocker Health Screen Directory  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Popsey

• Site Member
    • West Berkshire Gundog Club
Working Cocker Health Screen Directory
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:50:26 PM »
This seems to be an emotive subject, so check out the following:-

www.workingcockerhealthscreendirectory.com
Ali & the "chaos of cockers"
www.westberksgundogclub.co.uk

Offline jacnig

Re: Working Cocker Health Screen Directory
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:48:24 AM »
Fantastic  :D
Jacqui and the cocker crew

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 08:44:32 AM »
Will put that in favourites to look at later, looks promising.Thanks
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline babushka

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 08:54:37 AM »
Good site, I've just registered. Can't see anything about healthy pedigrees though!Theres a lot of inbreeding going on. >:(

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 09:22:39 AM »
Good site, I've just registered. Can't see anything about healthy pedigrees though!Theres a lot of inbreeding going on. >:(

agree - and I think they shouldn't have KC BVA Clear eye scheme or Optigen as a chioce - should be KC BVA & Optigen or Optigen first and foremost ( over the KC BVA )

helen & jarvis x

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 01:38:54 PM »

agree - and I think they shouldn't have KC BVA Clear eye scheme or Optigen as a chioce - should be KC BVA & Optigen or Optigen first and foremost ( over the KC BVA )

I'm not sure I agree - it is just as important to continue having dogs eyes checked under the KC/BVA Scheme as this detects other inherited eye conditions - the DNA test can only detect prcd-PRA.

They do go into more detail on their health pages but I think they could push the FN test a little better:-

"FN - Familial Nephropathy

This DNA test is carried out, mostly by breeders of the 'show' cocker. However, some breeders of the working variety are now testing for it as well, so we felt it should have a mention."
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 02:03:19 PM »

I'm not sure I agree - it is just as important to continue having dogs eyes checked under the KC/BVA Scheme as this detects other inherited eye conditions - the DNA test can only detect prcd-PRA.

They do go into more detail on their health pages but I think they could push the FN test a little better:-

"FN - Familial Nephropathy

This DNA test is carried out, mostly by breeders of the 'show' cocker. However, some breeders of the working variety are now testing for it as well, so we felt it should have a mention."

maybe both eye tests then rather one or the other?

FN was bought up on another thread yesterday - apparently there haven't been any reported cases of FN in working cockers but I would think that given the higher incidences of show/worker crosses now that it is very likely to occur at some stage  :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 07:32:27 PM »

maybe both eye tests then rather one or the other?

FN was bought up on another thread yesterday - apparently there haven't been any reported cases of FN in working cockers but I would think that given the higher incidences of show/worker crosses now that it is very likely to occur at some stage  :-\

Yes both DNA testing and KC/BVA eye testing are advised.

The FN thread seems to reappear every so often, it is a very difficult condition to diagnose and an accurate diagnosis can only be made on sending the kidney away for analysis once the patient has died. Usually by the time FN is suspected the kidney has not been preserved correctly and the analysis cannot be done, hence the low number of confirmed cases. Also there is another condition similar to FN known as PNP which has similar symptoms which adds to the confusion. This is all presuming the owner and/or vet suspect FN in the first place.....my own opinion is that most cases are dealt with so quickly as the condition can be quite rapid from onset of symptoms to death, that the preservation of the kidney is last on the agenda....also it is not unusual for breeders to experience losing puppies in the first few days/weeks of life and unless a PM is carried out on all these puppies we have no way of knowing how they died... :'( To the best of my knowledge the reporting of confirmed cases to the Cocker Club is voluntary so we have no way of knowing there have been no confirmed cases in working cockers  ph34r

Also I think I am right in saying that so far the Kennel Club have no agreement with Antagene who hold the license for the test in Europe - this means all results from this DNA test are submitted to the KC voluntarily.....where as OptiGen results are all reported to the KC - regardless of result.

Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 08:08:02 PM »
Bries sires on there.
Flicking through it I have seen a few PRA carriers  :-\
Im really glad this website has been made  :D
There is a few kennels that optigen test all there dogs but i didnt see any of them on there  :huh:

Offline Popsey

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 11:01:11 PM »
Do you know which kennels they are and I will approach them to join.

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 11:01:59 PM »
Sending you a PM

Offline jacnig

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 08:20:25 AM »

Although all good breeders should workout the Coefficent of Inbreeding first average is 2.76% - I am pleased to say all mine are below 2%!  There is a program that will do it for you just takes time to imput! :D
Jacqui and the cocker crew

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 09:08:42 AM »
How many generations are you basing your COI on Jacqui? Just wondering as a lot of people only use 5 gens but you can get very different results if you apply the calculation to a 10 gen pedigree (10 gens gives a more accurate figure).
Jane

Offline Popsey

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 09:14:10 AM »
Hi Jac

We have just ordered a Breeder Programme in order for the Working Cocker Pro Health Society to set up a database of all the tested dogs we come across.  We are hoping this will help breeders and prospective puppy owners research the pedigree of the puppy they intend to purchase or dogs they intend to breed from.  

We will also be able to ascertain the percentage of inbreeding of prospective matings, we may think of offering this as a service to members.

We will attempt to go back as far as we can, not just 5 generations.  Because show lines and working lines are being mixed, it is more important that the testing is carried out.

We will be working in conjunction with The Kennel Club to gain backdated information on pedigrees and testing etc.

It would be interesting to know if anyone would be interested in this?

Offline babushka

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 09:15:19 AM »
Where do you get the program from? I did read that the kennel club in the future (ha ha) are going to have a site that works out the coefficents for us, like the Swedish KC does.