Author Topic: World's most accident prone cocker?  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
World's most accident prone cocker?
« on: August 29, 2009, 04:44:47 PM »
Well, yet again we had to do an emergency dash to the vet today and unfortunately had to get the vet on call so we are £100 lighter  >:( Yes, Molly managed yet another accident  ::) This time she gouged a bit out of her chest and had to get it glued together and on anti-bis.
She has an accident of some kind almost every 2 months. So far she has, taken a whole pad off her paw, had a thorn stuck in her eye, had a breathing prob, nicked her sciatic nerve and now today cut her chest. And all of that between Dec and now. It is bad enough that it costs us money but that really is irrelevant, it's more the anxiety it causes all of us ::)

I wondered if she is the most accident prone pooch on COL :huh: Also wondered if she might have a high pain threshold that is meaning she isn't getting a warning (I have this and it has led me to have a few major probs including frequent burns cos my brain doesn't get the warning until too late!)?
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline mcphee

Re: World's most accident prone cocker?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:15:23 PM »
Poor poppet. Is she a great hunter, and fearless adventurer?

Offline J

• Donator
  • Pass me another bottle of red dear
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 05:16:53 PM »
hope she is OK

Caution,  may contain nuts!!!

Offline Claire7

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 05:38:15 PM »
Aww poor wee mite.  Hope she's ok  :luv:
Claire, Breagha and Brodie x

Offline little_jack

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 05:40:59 PM »
Hope she is ok  :luv: Cockers certainly aren't for the fainthearted  :005:

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 06:59:18 PM »

Yes  >:(
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 07:03:24 PM »
Poor Molly, how did she do it, did she get caught on something? :'(

I'm glad she's ok though, but she certainly is costing you, and of course the cost is always just under or slightly over the excess on the insurance, isn't it? ::)
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 07:04:04 PM »
Poor wee girl :'( :luv:. I thought Brodie was bad hurting three legs one after the other but Molly clearly has her beat ::)

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 07:08:56 PM »
Poor Molly, how did she do it, did she get caught on something? :'(

I'm glad she's ok though, but she certainly is costing you, and of course the cost is always just under or slightly over the excess on the insurance, isn't it? ::)

Her pad was the only one we could claim as she was in vet a couple times a week for 6 weeks  ::) We could make a claim for this one but we would only get about £10 back so hardly worth it and more likely to get us struck off  :005:

Offline mcphee

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 07:27:55 PM »

Cockers like this (as Rufus was before his present trouble) are either very brave or very silly. I am suffering from vet bill syndrome at present, and need to decide whether to trouble the insurers. Rufus is fearless when fitand doesn't even seem to feel the thick thorns that stick it to him or cut him, until I try to deal with them. I am paying the price for his accident 3 years ago caused by his hell raising rugby practice. The funny thing is, when he was in dull sedate mode, and not haring around, he was a bit boring. Now the NSAIs have cut in he is back to his risk taking self, and likely to get hurt. Cocker owners can't win.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 07:34:42 PM »
Poor Molly, I hope she's ok :luv:  That is quite an impressive tally of war wounds she's racking up :shades: :005:

I find that when my dogs are 'in the zone' hunting in full on working mode they can hurt themselves and not even notice it. Alfie impaled his face on a branch while working and came back with a hole in his cheek and blood everywhere but showed no sign of it bothering him at all and got very impatient when I made him stand still so I could check it and clean it.

Tilly is the queen of hurting herself and not reacting though, she never shows any signs of pain, she's fearless and she just doesn't seem to notice it. She cut her chest open on a barbed wire fence on a shoot retrieving a pheasant once but still brought the bird back and was wanting to go again even though the blood was running out of the cut. I had to take her to the vet and she was mightily unimpressed to have her day cut short, she huffed and tried to pull back to the line the whole way back to the car and once at the vet she didn't even flinch while he poked and prodded at the wound to clean it out. She also sliced the back of her ear right open on scrap metal left in a hedge once and gave no sign of it whatsoever, the only reason I found it was because I decided to brush her ears a few hours later and as soon as I touched the back of her right ear my hands were covered in blood, I nearly had a heart attack ph34r  it was bad enough for her to need an overnight stay at the vet, a sedation, 12 stitches and a course of antibiotics yet she never let on that anything had happened... she's quite unbelievable sometimes!

Rodaidh is currently sporting a cut lower eyelid where he bashed his face on a rock while scrambling around on our walk today but I could barely get him to stay still long enough to look at it before he was off again ::)  I bathed it when we got home and it's not a vet job but I think if he were human he'd have a pretty nice shiner! :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 07:40:06 PM »

Cockers like this (as Rufus was before his present trouble) are either very brave or very silly. I am suffering from vet bill syndrome at present, and need to decide whether to trouble the insurers. Rufus is fearless when fitand doesn't even seem to feel the thick thorns that stick it to him or cut him, until I try to deal with them. I am paying the price for his accident 3 years ago caused by his hell raising rugby practice. The funny thing is, when he was in dull sedate mode, and not haring around, he was a bit boring. Now the NSAIs have cut in he is back to his risk taking self, and likely to get hurt. Cocker owners can't win.

Poor Rufus, hope he is back hunting again soon and his hips get sorted.

Nic, so glad your lots are just as bad! Still not sure how she did this one, she was with OH on lead after her norty behaviour yesterday. She only got 10 mins off and he can't work out where or how, must have been a fence or a sticking up branch etc She is feeling very sorry for herself now and looking for lots of cuddles. The emergency vet was very impressed wtih her tho cos she was so well behaved  :angel:

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 08:36:20 PM »
Poor Molly, hope she feels better soon...she certainly does seem to be accident prone  :o ;) Glad she was so good at the vets.
And slightly off topic but, I'm beginning to think its tempting fate when we talk about how good our dog has been on here (I'm sure you posted on a thread recently Lorna about Molly having been an angel for a couple of days - and its the same with Chloe, I only have to post on here about her achievements, and its guaranteed, the next day she'll be up to her tricks again  ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 08:42:59 PM »
I thought Bella was accident prone but with your poppet its no contest. Molly can have the trophy :005:
Bella got stung by a bee last year and went into full shock, we had to dash to the emergency vets wondering if she was still breathing it was awful, an afternoon stay and many drips and injections later she came home, it cost me £300 but I would have paid anything to have her back. That was one of the most stressful afternoons of my life. Then christmas eve I noticed her eye was weird, her lower lid was very red and droopy and she kept rubbing it, another trip to the vets and they were not sure what it was so again many blood tests and injections and another couple of hundred quid. She had pulled a muscle  that affects the eyes and luckily the anti flams worked well and her blood test for thyroid problems were clear. I have used the insurance company, I had to. the excess is £50 and then 10% of the treatment costs, I am so glad I have it and through such a good company, paying for the treatment is one less stress for me to worry about.
Like you say though its the anxiety, I am a major worrier when it comes to my girlies.
I hope that your little one is ok, it sounds really nasty poor little love :luv:.

Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 08:57:57 PM »
Molly has def got the trophy for most accident prone but I think Fred could give her a run for her money........What is it with Cockers they are never happier than when they a re adding to our grey hair collections :005: :005:
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce