Author Topic: Please Help - Advice needed on benefits of chemotherapy for Lymphoma  (Read 6766 times)

Offline BECKYS

I don't really know where to start, my whole life has turned upside down with the devastating news that my precious dog Rosie has lymphoma. She's always been a quiet dog, always preferring a cuddle to a game, she was eating well and showed no usual signs of depression or pain, so we thought that there was nothing to be concerned about.  Until a fortnight ago. Rosie is now 11 years old. We noticed that she had a huge lump growing on her gum line, and also her teeth has become wonky and spaced much more far apart then usual.  We rushed her to the vet and he did some biopsies.  We got the news about a week ago that Rosie has a late stage of Lymphoma in her jaw.  The tumour has grown inside her jawbone and had 'dissolved' most of the bone there, and because of that, she has a fractured jaw.  The vet was amazed that she was still eating like a horse, enjoying short walks, and shows no sign of discomfort!  Her jawbone is fractured in such a way that her whole lower jaw has moved forward about an inch so she cannot chew properly, she eats like a cat, laps it in and then swallows. The vet gave us the prognosis that without treatment, Rosie will pass away in about 2 weeks, with just steriod treatment she may have a few months left and with chemotherapy she'll have a good chance of living for 6 months or so.  She's a happy dog at the minute, eating well and is happy going for walks and such.  My question is: does anyone have advice on what they would do in this situation?  Has anyone else been in this situation? Should I try chemotherapy or am I just being selfish in keeping her here? Any advice welcome. Thank you  :'(
Dylan - 2 years old blue roan Working Cocker
Rosie - 11 years old blue roan Show Cocker
Tilly - R.I.P, the best dog that ever lived, blue roan Show Cocker

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Re: Please Help - Advice needed on benefits of chemotherapy for Lymphoma
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 10:03:03 AM »
I am sorry to hear about Rosie, no advice i'm afraid, i just wanted to send Rosie and you lots of healing and positive thoughts  :-* :luv: :luv:

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 10:10:16 AM »
Oh I am so sorry to hear about poor Rosie, how devastating for you (((hugs))).  I have no experience of this, hopefully someone will be along shortly to help. Lots of healing thoughts coming your way  :luv:
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 10:31:15 AM »
I'm so very sorry to hear about Rosie, what a shock for you all.  I don't have any experience of chemo I'm afraid so don't know what to advise, I know lots of people on here have had to make similar decisians about what is best for their cocker and when is the right time to say goodbye  :'( its heartbreaking but such a personal decisian.

I don't think you would be selfish in the slightest for wanting to keep Rosie with you for as long as possible, any one of us would want the same.  I suppose the question is what would her quality of life be for those 6 months or so?  My personal veiw is I wouldn't want one of my dogs to undergo anything that made them feel any more unwell, as a human we understand that drugs are to prolong life so put up with side effects, obviously you can't explain that to a dog.  However I am making that desician now when I am not in a situation like you, so I honestly can't say how I would react if I had to make the decisian, as I think emotions take over and all we want is to keep them with as as long as possible  :huh:

I think whatever you and your family decide for Rosie will be the right thing to do - there really isn't a right or wrong in situations like this you have to go with your instincts and take it day to day and see how Rosie is.
Thinking of you and Rosie and sending much love  :luv:

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 11:16:03 AM »
I totally agree with Bensmum.
It is heartwrenching.
Steroids (very cheap) are worth a try but maybe someone who has experienced chemo  (expensive) can give you practical advice.
You will know when your pet has had enough, and you won't feel guilty for saving them from suffering. I had to make a treatment/no treatment decision for my cat at Xmas.  The treatment would have been a worse quality of life for him, so has was pampered with delicious food and cream for his last few weeks and purred and loved every minute till one day he looked dejected and unable to walk.

We all know how you feel  XX
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline dogsgalore

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 11:43:28 AM »
So very sorry to hear your sad news.  It is heartbreaking to watch a beloved pet suffer.  No advice, but I think as you know Rosie best, you will know what is right for her.  Thinking of you and big hugs to Rosie  :luv: :luv:
Kath, Skye plus Jock and Millie

[img]

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 11:47:40 AM »
I am so sorry.

I agree totally with Bensmum. I can't put it any better.

((((HUGS))))

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 11:50:22 AM »
Hello and Welcome to COL. I just wish your 1st post here was a happier one!

Jessie my beloved cocker  :luv: was diagnosed with a rare cancer last May and as she was only aged 5 and a half at the time we chose to try the chemo route. The type of cancer she had was very different to what Rosie has but she was in incredible pain and discomfort when we made this decision and we also knew it would only delay the inevitable but we had to give it a go!

Within 3 weeks of starting both the steroid/chemo route she was a different dog - people didin't believe how gravely ill she was, she was running around and enjoying life just like she should have been.....we continued with this for almost 6 months and she was in remission until the middle of October when the cancer returned in different parts of her body and we had to make that awful decision!

However we had a wonderful 6 months after her diagnosis and would do it all again - the major expense was the MRI scans she needed and fortnightly bloods to monitor how the chemo was being received in her body - the steroids and chemo were actually pretty cheap to buy!

We took lots of advice from our vets who were fantastic throughout....they thought because of her age she was a good candidate for the treatment!

Good luck with your decision and I hope Rosie has many days/weeks/months ahead of her

Janey x

Offline BECKYS

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 12:00:31 PM »
thank you all for your kind words and wishes.

At the minute the steriods seem to making her more bubbly and are really clearing up her ears (im sure all cocker owners know the downfalls of their cute floppy ears!) but she's developed a hacking cough today which seems be getting worse  :-\

At the minute I think we are going to try her on chemotherapy, I think we owe it to her to try and help her, but if it knocks her for six, or she stops eating, we'll bring her home and let her spend her last days with us snuggled in her favourite spot on the sofa.  I want to do my best for her, I'll never forgive myself if I don't try and do something in return for all her love over the years, but at the same time I don't want her final few months spent at the vets or in discomfort.  Janey, can I ask how much time did Jessie spend at the vets receiving the chemo?  Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me, and I'm so glad you got 6 precious months with her, I know now every day counts as a blessing.

My other cocker Dylan seems really subdued and spends alot of time just lying next to Rosie, am I crazy in thinking he knows?  I know he knows when I'm sad but can he know about Rosie?

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »
No advice but thinking of you and hope Rosie is comfortable whatever route you chose - she sounds a trouper if she's gone this long with no apparent discomfort :luv:.

Offline BECKYS

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 12:19:02 PM »
oh she is, she's a right little madam!  she was having chew sticks up until a few weeks ago! the vet said he'd never seen such amazing behaviour in a dog with such aggressive lymphoma before! its because she seems so happy that im wavering on the chemotherapy, but i don't want to wait until she starts going downhill before i start any treatment, as I fear it'll be too late  :'(

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 12:26:17 PM »
Is that Rosie in your pic? Would love to see a bigger photo of the amazing girl if you get time to put one on  :luv:

Offline BECKYS

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 12:35:35 PM »
yes it's her and dylan begging for food at the kitchen door!  :D

im just trying to create a photobucket account, i'll put pictures up of her and Dylan in the photo section on her, look for them in the rogues catagory as their blue roans and dont fit into the other catagories!

Offline helshaw

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 12:44:46 PM »
Have no advice as have never been down this route and hope I never have too but I really feel for you. Your thread has bought tears to my eyes as we all know what our cockers mean to us. You know whatever decision you make it will be the right one for you & Rosie. Good luck with whatever decision x

Offline BECKYS

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 12:49:11 PM »
thank you helshaw, im so grateful for all your support. I don't have many friends with dogs, so they don't seem to understand how much they become one of the family!  If anyone wants to know what beauties Dylan and Rosie are, I've put some photos up in the Rogue Catagory on here!!