Author Topic: Please Help - Advice needed on benefits of chemotherapy for Lymphoma  (Read 6769 times)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Re: Please Help - Advice needed on benefits of chemotherapy for Lymphoma
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 02:52:43 PM »
This is rather raw for me so please read this thread http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=65382.0

It's long but please take the time to read through Keli's fight with cancer and the choices I made which may help you.

Sorry I can't talk about it at the moment, but I hope it helps.

I'm so, so sorry about your news. Keep strong, cancer is not always a winner but it's hard work.

Many hugz  :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv:
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline LinzB

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 03:00:19 PM »
Sorry I have no advice either, but wanted you to know I'm thinking of you, and sending gentle squidges to Rosie & Dylan  :luv:

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 03:16:44 PM »
So sorry to read about Rosie. I don't have any experience of chemo as when I lost my 1st Rosie 20 years ago it wasn't an option. Sadly I had to say goodbye to 2 of my girls last year, having to make the decision to let them go.

I will do whatever it takes to treat my dogs no matter the cost but not at the expense of their quality of life. I believe they make the decision for you in the end and therefore let Rosie guide you.

Thinking of you :bigarmhug:
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 03:39:05 PM »
Hi There

Jessie didnt have her chemo at the vets as it was administered in tablet for so we just gave it to her at home as directed. She spent 4 days in the vets following the 1st MRI scan whilst they determined exactly what type of cancer she had and what treatment she needed - another day there for another MRI scan and a final day there when they MRI'd her again to see why her limping had deteriated so badly so quickly - she didn't come home after this  :'(

She had to have fortnightly blood etsts but we just waited with her while they took it and then tested it - this determined the dosage so it was important they had the results before we continued with the chemo.

Some chemo's are given intravenously and I don't know how long this takes. Will Rosie need to be referred to an oncologist or can it be done at your own vets? Jessie had to be referred for her MRI scan and we stayed with the referral vets till she was PTS.

J

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 05:05:45 PM »
So sorry to hear about Rosie it's truely heartbreaking for you and your family  :'(

I have no experience with chemo in dogs but sending you lots of positive thoughts for Rosie  :luv:

jo

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 05:12:45 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear your news and with your options bet you feel you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I won't begin to tell you what you should do, and other than the brave people on here who chose chemo for their dogs there is only one other known to me who had to battle cancer. He was a 4 yr old cocker and I believe he had the same cancer as your girl. They loved him dearly but didn't have him insured and money was very tight so once given the options they went home and discussed it and chose to use the steriods. His life was shorter, he lasted 2 mths as the vet had anticipated, the chemo could have given him maybe 6 mths, maybe a little more. Either way his prognosis was bad. He perked up as soon as he went on the steriods and he remained pretty much like that until his last week. Even though they felt they didn't have the options they feel at peace with the decision they made because ultimately he was going to die,it was  just a matter of  how long would it take and how comfortable would he be on on his final journey.

Whichever route you chose, you will be doing it for the love of your Rosie. :'(
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 05:14:19 PM »
Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you. As others have said there is no right or wrong decision as long as Rosie has quality of life and isn't suffering. Off to look at the photos  :luv: :luv:.

Millie

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 05:21:46 PM »
So sorry to hear about your girl. I have no advice to offer I'm afraid, but just wanted to say that you will get loads of support from COL and there will always be someone here to listen and help if they can.
Thinking of you  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 05:25:26 PM »
I'm sorry you're facing such a difficult decision. For me I would always try to give my dogs every chance I could but I do believe that quality of life is more important than quantity, you know your girl best and you'll know how she's coping :luv: I hope that whatever route you take you all enjoy the time you have together :luv: Thinking of you both :-*
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline BabyB

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 05:36:01 PM »
Like Mel and Speedjaney, we've just been through chemo treatment for Morgan who was diagnosed with Follicular Lymphoma in Oct last year.  If you copy and paste the thread below you can read Morgan's story.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=65631.0

Morgan's treatment was by injection at the vet, after a blood test was taken to check his red count level.  This was weekly and took no more than 10 mins.  We then gave him tablets and steriods every day.  He was a good little patient  :luv:

Oddily enough I've just got back from paying his bill with the vets. He was insured, and Petplan have just sent me his final cheque (even though I only paid one premium in this years policy).  To be honest, I'd have sold my car if I'd needed to.

Morgan was 11yrs, 4mths and 3 days old when he passed in my dads arms at home, without the vets intervention :'( 

Do I feel guilt at giving him treatment, no.  Would I do it again?  Only if the cancer was caught in its early stages.

If you trust your vet, then go with what they suggest, along with your gut feeling  ;)

I'm sorry you're going through this, I really am - PM me if you want  ;)
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline BabyB

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 05:43:09 PM »
My other cocker Dylan seems really subdued and spends alot of time just lying next to Rosie, am I crazy in thinking he knows?  I know he knows when I'm sad but can he know about Rosie?
Morgan's partner in crime is also called Dylan  :luv:  He knew that Morgan was poorly as he'd not bother with him when he was quiet, other than scuff his pillow up, or move from a comfy spot that Morgan wanted  :005:
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 06:32:55 PM »
Sorry i have no advice to give you, i just wanted to say my thoughts are with you and Rosie, what ever decision you make will be the right one as it will be made out of love for Rosie.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 06:54:34 PM »
No advice I'm afraid...big hugs though for you all  :luv:

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 08:26:44 PM »
I am so sorry Rosie, Dylan & yourself are having to go through this.

Sending all the positive thoughts in the world to Rosie.  Thinking of you all.

Offline BabyB

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2010, 10:45:52 PM »
Hi, I just wanted to see how you and Rosie were  :huh:
I've been thinking of you  :-*