Author Topic: Please Help - Advice needed on benefits of chemotherapy for Lymphoma  (Read 6767 times)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Re: Please Help - Advice needed on benefits of chemotherapy for Lymphoma
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2010, 11:02:09 PM »
Me too, I hope you are ok.  :luv:
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2010, 07:35:14 AM »
My thoughts and prayers are with you all, its such a difficult decision but I am sure you will make the right one for you all, love and hugs to you all, they look adorable x

Offline BECKYS

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010, 08:45:40 AM »
hi guys

this weekend has been puzzling to say the least. rosie seems much more bouncy and happy than usual (think this is the steriods perking her up) and she is eating like a horse! she often eats her own dinner, then tries to steal Dylan's as well, little madam that she is! she was even playing in the snow yesterday! if you didnt look at her mouth which is now quite deformed, you'd never know she was ill! 

at the minute she is on a hefty dosage of steriods and anitbiotics, and she seems be doing well, except for a wet hacking cough she's got.  she's really having problems with this, she seems be fine for an hour or two, and then she'll have a fit of coughing.  we suspect its fluid on the lungs as when she breathes, you can faintly hear a sort of gurgling sound  :'(  we are taking her to the vets today to hear the chemo protocol he's drawn up, i think after long chats between the family and from what people have shared with me, we are happy to try the chemo tablets at home, but not the IV.  We don't want to put her through the stress of visiting the vets every week, and if it knocks her for six, her quality of life won't be good, so it's not fair put her through that for our own needs.

thank you all so much for your kind words and advice, it means alot that people out there care for their dogs and other people's just as much as I love mine. i'll keep you posted and hopefully i won't have to report any bad news for a long time   :-\

Dylan - 2 years old blue roan Working Cocker
Rosie - 11 years old blue roan Show Cocker
Tilly - R.I.P, the best dog that ever lived, blue roan Show Cocker

Offline BabyB

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2010, 08:57:26 AM »
Let us know how she gets on at the vets  ;)
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2010, 09:38:37 AM »
Just read this - so sorry Rosie is so sick.  As others have said, am sure whatever you do it will be right for you and Rosie. Big sloppy cocker kisses coming from Maggie to you both.  :luv: :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 09:41:49 AM »
Sending lots of healing hugs for Rosie and hoping you can share some more happy times with her ...thinking of you x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 10:16:34 AM »
hi guys

this weekend has been puzzling to say the least. rosie seems much more bouncy and happy than usual (think this is the steriods perking her up) and she is eating like a horse! she often eats her own dinner, then tries to steal Dylan's as well, little madam that she is! she was even playing in the snow yesterday! if you didnt look at her mouth which is now quite deformed, you'd never know she was ill! 

at the minute she is on a hefty dosage of steriods and anitbiotics, and she seems be doing well, except for a wet hacking cough she's got.  she's really having problems with this, she seems be fine for an hour or two, and then she'll have a fit of coughing.  we suspect its fluid on the lungs as when she breathes, you can faintly hear a sort of gurgling sound  :'(  we are taking her to the vets today to hear the chemo protocol he's drawn up, i think after long chats between the family and from what people have shared with me, we are happy to try the chemo tablets at home, but not the IV.  We don't want to put her through the stress of visiting the vets every week, and if it knocks her for six, her quality of life won't be good, so it's not fair put her through that for our own needs.

thank you all so much for your kind words and advice, it means alot that people out there care for their dogs and other people's just as much as I love mine. i'll keep you posted and hopefully i won't have to report any bad news for a long time   :-\

I hope everything goes well today. Thinking of you.
Please remember though I didn't chose IV - he was offered IV as that was the correct treatment. In Keli's case he should have gone on to 2 week IV and then it spaced out further but he didn't take that well it was all or nothing.

There are so many different types of chemo - your vet will advise you of the type which is correct for your dogs cancer.

Free Cake!

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »
Thinking of you and sending love and hugs yours and Rosie's way.  Hope all goes well today.
B xxx

Offline BECKYS

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2010, 08:33:33 AM »
update:

we took Rosie to the vets yesterday and he had a good listen and feel of her chest.  He said that he couldn't hear any fluid on her lungs, and we must do an xray as soon as possible.  She is going for the xray this morning, and all rests on that result.  If it is an infection of her lungs, we will try different antibiotics, and start the chemotherapy treatment to make her as comfortable as possible.  If her lymphoma has spread and she has a lot of tumours, we have decided it would be selfish of us to put her through the chemo.  I feel that if she is riddled with the tumours and I try to prolong her life, I'm doing it for my reasons and not in her best interest.  If it has spread, I'll keep her on steriods as they seem to be benefitting her, and try and make her as comfortable as possible.  I don't want to keep her here in pain just for my own comfort   :'(

I'll keep everyone updated and thank you all again for your kind wishes.  On the plus side, last night Rosie was making me laugh, when she wants Dylan to play, she'll go up to him, whirl around really fast, knock her bum into him, and then run away, tail wagging!   :005:
She's still a pup at heart!!
Dylan - 2 years old blue roan Working Cocker
Rosie - 11 years old blue roan Show Cocker
Tilly - R.I.P, the best dog that ever lived, blue roan Show Cocker

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2010, 10:07:36 AM »
We'll be thinking of you :bigarmhug:
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2010, 10:31:51 AM »
What a tough time of it you are having - will be thinking of you this morning.  Hugs to you all.  Rosie's quality of life seems to be first and foremost in your thoughts - she is lucky to have a Mum who loves her so much.  With love, B xxx

Offline LinzB

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2010, 10:49:51 AM »
Thinking of you here too. :bigarmhug:  :-*

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2010, 08:43:06 PM »
I totally agree which your sentiment about your baby being riddled with tumours. I would have been the same with Keli. Luckily we knew it was one tunour in the nose and he was constantly checked to see if it was going to the chest or as it indeed did finally do, the facial area. Hence the minute it went behind the eye as hard as it was I knew Keli needed to go for him, not me. The week before the lymph node on the opposite front leg was up a touch so in all honesty I knew time was short.

But please remember something Keli's vet told me; we extended Keli's life by 3 months with the chemo. He had good quality during that time. The vet told me the day before she put him to sleep that to a dog, those 3 months were like about 3 years. She asked me how I would feel if I were diagnosed with a serious illness and I was given 3 years? Then think how I would feel if I was told I had a week at best? Which would I choose? As long as there is no pain give your baby the best few weeks months they could ever have. And remember - keep their routine normal. If you stress they will stress. A stressed dog will succomb sooner.

We are all here for you and you have Dylan - be greatful for that as the pain will ease quicker when you have to continue with his routine. You'll never forget, but the pain will get less sharp.

Be brave, keep strong and we'll hold your hands while you take her through the end of days. :luv:

Give her a hug from me :luv:

Free Cake!

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2010, 09:59:16 PM »
Thinking of you and Rosie :luv:
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 07:49:09 AM »
Thinking of you x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"