Author Topic: Asthma and cockers  (Read 8819 times)

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
Asthma and cockers
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:32:55 PM »
My partner suffers from asthma and is allergic to cats. How would she get along with a working cocker spaniel ?

I have read a few places that it might be a problem, what does the panel think.
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows
Both halves of woollypigs post from this account - Woolly & Peli :)

Offline Carol09

Re: Asthma and cockers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:39:13 PM »
I have to say yes unfortunatley it can cause a problem.  My 8 year old son became progressively worse over the year since Jay came home.  We are convinced we know it's Jay, but we spoke to my son about it, and he/we are happy to live with it as Jay is part of our family. :luv:

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 10:43:49 PM »

I may be a problem, but it may not.

I have very mild asthma - had never reacted to any animal.  Yet when we first got Honey, I reacted very badly - ended up on preventer inhalers etc.

However after about 6 months, I was fine... back to using my ventolin about once a year...  :shades: 
I don't know if it as just getting used to it, or whether it was the puppy coat....

Is there any way you could look after a Cocker for a few days to see if he is going to react?
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 10:50:12 PM »
Is there any way you could look after a Cocker for a few days to see if he is going to react?
Anyone in London who needs a dog sitter ?

I was planing to go to a breeder talk and see them again plus checking out of her asthma would be a problem.

If cockers are the problem, then we have to find another breed that isn't. But I just so want a cocker.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 10:57:32 PM »
I suffer from asthma and everytime I get a new cocker I struggle for a while, my chest is really tight and my eyes stream and itch.   I perservere (sp?) with it and it usually takes about 3-4 months and then I am absolutely fine and can bury my face in their hair and it has no effect.  It was exactly the same when my friend got her cocker and now I am fine with him. 

Offline tots

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 11:09:21 PM »
each asthmatic is different and has different triggers, i am asthmatic and so are 2 of my children, luckily we have always been fine with dogs,we have 3, my children are ok with cats but i wheeze like mad, all u can do is try...do u have a dog rescue nearby or a friendly neighbour, if so explain to them and see if u can walk their dogs and stroke them etc to see if she has a reaction :D
good luck

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 12:04:10 AM »
each asthmatic is different and has different triggers, i am asthmatic and so are 2 of my children, luckily we have always been fine with dogs,we have 3, my children are ok with cats but i wheeze like mad, all u can do is try...do u have a dog rescue nearby or a friendly neighbour, if so explain to them and see if u can walk their dogs and stroke them etc to see if she has a reaction :D
good luck

have to agree with tots here  ;)

I've had cats for many years (slight allergic reation to start with only) dogs for nearly 6 years (& I have 3) with no symptoms at all but have 2 rats & they have triggered huge allergy/asthma problems.  Good idea to try & spend some time with the breed, to see if you get any sort of reaction at all. Good luck though ......really hope things turns out the way you want them to  :luv:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Emmylou

• Site Member
  • Cosby and Boo!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 12:58:24 AM »
Agree with the last 2 posts - depends on what triggers your asthma.  I have asthma and have never had a problem with either of our boys and they have very thick, hairy coats.  I do have problems with cats, although not severe.

My Mam has quite bad asthma but again, she never has problems around the dogs.

Has she had any reaction to other dog hair?

Offline Uli

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 01:15:28 AM »
I believe it would not help you to test your partner's reaction on one dog, he should test his reaction on exactly the dog you would wish to have. I do have numerous allergies, very bad reactions on cats, but have had dogs all my life. I sometimes realized some allergic reaction on other dogs, but never had any problems with my cocker spaniels. My nieces in Gloucester have three cats. It is always very painful for me for the first 3-4 days when I go to see them, but after that short while my immune system seems to adjust itself to this different situation.
No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich! (Louis Sabin)

Offline Pip895

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 08:43:51 AM »
My sister is asmatic and reacts slightly to Saffi our working Cocker pup. 

We grew up with a dog though and she only ever had a problem if she was away for a while and returned (holidays from Uni). My sister has quite a strong reaction to cats though.

As others have said your partner may get a reaction initialy and then it might settle down.  Difficult when thinking about getting a pup though.  Perhaps you could dog sit for someone with a cocker, and see how bad the reaction is, or if she reacts at all?

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 09:02:25 AM »
Yup she reacts heavily to cats and it doesn't settle down she have to eat antihistamine to keep it controlled.

We don't know anyone with a cocker, so we might have to bribe someone. As far as I know she haven't reacted to dogs, though I'm sure that she haven't been with a dog long enough to kick it off.

Thanks for all your help.

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 10:40:57 AM »
Yup she reacts heavily to cats and it doesn't settle down she have to eat antihistamine to keep it controlled.

We don't know anyone with a cocker, so we might have to bribe someone. As far as I know she haven't reacted to dogs, though I'm sure that she haven't been with a dog long enough to kick it off.

Thanks for all your help.

Im allegic to cats but absolutely fine with dogs and always have been. There really is no telling without her spend time with a cocker spaniel.
 Equally I know someone allegic to "fine coated" dogs such as spaniels and shes fine with my 2 and regularly dog sits.   :005: It reallt does depend. If you find a breeder ask to spend time with mum and see if she sets her off. It should be a good indication of whether the pups are going to have the same affect

If you do decide to go for it make sure you buy from a breeder that promises to take the puppy back. If it is too much for your OH you may need to take them up on it, as heartbreaking as it might be.

Offline stephremon

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 10:56:26 AM »
try going to a breed show... just walking around to begin with, then try handling/stroking (with o permission of course!!) I do suffer from asthma and have never reacted to my own dogs or the family ones growing up... however I did react to a rough collie once. I have been around long and short haired breeds growing up and had minimal problems. It could just be one dog that may cause a reaction not the breed in general. Something to think carefully about.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 06:06:34 PM »
I really think it depends on the dog and the person, my OH ans one of my sons suffer from Asthma, neither are affected by either of our dogs. My SIL cannot come in the house or she will start wheezing straight away :-\
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 06:22:42 PM »
try going to a breed show...
So where does one look to find out when there is a show near ones dwellings ?