Author Topic: Asthma and cockers  (Read 8818 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: Asthma and cockers
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 02:49:05 PM »
my OH is asthmatic very allegic to cats and some dogs.  We found he is fine with dark haired dogs but seems to struggle with white/pale coats for some bizarre reason  :huh:

For this reason we have two black boys and he is fine.  Did however have a blue roan pup, that had to be returned within 24 hours  :'( as she triggered a massive attack. 

If you do go to a breed show which is a good idea, bear in mind that for an asthmatic it could be overwhelming, my OH would struggle with too many dogs in one room but is fine with just a couple.  Better see if anyone lives near enough to 'borrow' a cocker for a day

Offline Bounty

• Poppy, Maggie and Hamish all at rainbow bridge
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 06:54:29 PM »
I have asthma ( I have been told its life threatening) and I am on preventative drugs which mean I am symptom free.

I have a show type cocker and he does not make me ill at all.  They are not very moulty dogs really.  BUT it depends if pet fur is one of your triggers. MIne tend to be when I get a cold, or feathers or dust.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Hamish - My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet.

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 08:33:55 PM »
Thanks all for your input.

We saw the dog we wanted today and my partner manged to be near the dog for 10sec and had no reaction. Yup way too short a time, before the dog legged it after a ball, they don't half run do they never get any quite time with them.

Next step is to find a breeder or someone we can visit for longer so that we can test out the asthma.

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows
Both halves of woollypigs post from this account - Woolly & Peli :)

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 07:18:58 PM »
Since it is the fur that collects stuff that causes the asthma, is there a special shampoo that you can use to prevent it ?
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows
Both halves of woollypigs post from this account - Woolly & Peli :)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 10:43:49 PM »

I don't know about shampoo, but there are anti-allergy wipes which helped when I was initially reacting to Honey....
 :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020