Author Topic: How common is PRA in cocker spaniels?  (Read 8645 times)

Offline Rubenkhan

How common is PRA in cocker spaniels?
« on: September 23, 2010, 05:22:32 PM »
I have met a breeder that has not tested mum or dad of the pup I've see,I was wondering how common this blindness condition is an dif anyone has an idea of what percentage of dogs it effects?
Thanks
******Ruben by blueclipse*******

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: How common is PRA in cocker spaniels?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 06:31:25 PM »
I would advise to walk away...if neither sire/dam have been tested its inexcusable!

Sorry i don't know the percentages affected with PRA but hopefully in years to come (with responsible breeders health testing) this awful eye disease could be eradicated.  ;)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Rubenkhan

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:50:18 PM »
The breeder shows her dogs and apparently has been doing so for many years. She said that none of  her dogs or litters have had this problem and she doesn't feel the need to have this test done. Is that something I should be concerned about?
Thanks
******Ruben by blueclipse*******

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:56:50 PM »

My Dylan has cataracts and PRA he cannot have the op to remove them.      He started last year and within 6months he had lost his sight.

If I where you I would walk away and then you won't go through the heartbreak that we have done with Dylan.  It started when Dylan was 8yrs he is now 9.  We did not have any health test certs from the breeder, did not know about them then. Know I am wiser thanks to the info on COL.

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:57:22 PM »
The breeder shows her dogs and apparently has been doing so for many years.

Then she should be aware of the problem in the breed and tested her stock to maintain it's integrity and "PRA tested clear(?)" selling advantage!  God this makes me mad!  

She said that none of  her dogs or litters have had this problem and she doesn't feel the need to have this test done. Is that something I should be concerned about?

I'd be very concerned TBH.  If she doesn't test how the blazes does she KNOW her stock hasn't got a PRA problem?  Ask her if she would put that in writing in case you had reason to go to court (that should put a flea in her ear!)   >:(
Spaniels In Need

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:04:45 PM »
IMHO just because dogs are shown, it doesn't automatically follow they are healthier than dogs that aren't in the show ring.  :huh:  Sorry just my opinion but i would be concerned.  ;)  PRA Progressive Retinal Atrophy is a gradual decline with vision which leads to blindness.  if you google this you can find all sorts of info.  :D

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 08:05:09 PM »
Sorry to say it but she sounds to me like a breeder who would not give much 'after sales' support if anything should go wrong.

Take care
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 08:34:24 PM »
The breeder shows her dogs and apparently has been doing so for many years. She said that none of  her dogs or litters have had this problem and she doesn't feel the need to have this test done. Is that something I should be concerned about?
Thanks

Oh that sounds familiar  ::) ! One of mine was diagnosed at about 18 months old - notified the breeder just so they knew that 2 of their dogs were carriers. Was told in no uncertain terms that his eyes must be fine as his litter brother was being campaigned in the show ring very successfully  :huh: They even repeated the mating the following year  >:D
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 09:05:40 PM »
Thanks

Oh that sounds familiar  ::) ! One of mine was diagnosed at about 18 months old - notified the breeder just so they knew that 2 of their dogs were carriers. Was told in no uncertain terms that his eyes must be fine as his litter brother was being campaigned in the show ring very successfully  :huh: They even repeated the mating the following year  >:D

That is so totally disgusting!  >:D  Sadly, this doesn't surprise me anymore.  :'(

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 09:09:59 PM »
Unless ALL breeders health tested it's impossible to tell how prevalent it actually is...

IMHO if you can eliminate ANY risk when buying a puppy then I would, and I wouldn't risk the heartbreak  :'( (and I really really feel for Jessie_pup who bought an untested dog when testing wasn't common at all).

helen & jarvis x

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 09:15:18 PM »
Unless ALL breeders health tested it's impossible to tell how prevalent it actually is...

IMHO if you can eliminate ANY risk when buying a puppy then I would, and I wouldn't risk the heartbreak  :'( (and I really really feel for Jessie_pup who bought an untested dog when testing wasn't common at all).

And still people are buying pups  where there is no health testing . If I see a pup I ask if they had health test papers and often they do not know about the tests and look at you blankly.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 09:18:53 PM »
It's difficult to know the numbers exactly because so many cases go unreported, since the reporting is done to Optigen or the Cocker Spaniel club, so this does not take in pet dogs, unregistered dogs or untested dogs

What I can tell you is that in the US (where the numbers of cockers are much smaller) in 2007 there were 10% of Optigen tested found to be affected.

http://ecsca.org/optigenfig.html

In 1998, before Optigen testing according to a voluntary health survey, of 373 people who responded to the survey, there were 46 cases of PRA. (I have no idea what the percentage is  :P)

http://ecsca.org/98healthsur.html

I would assume the percentages to be higher, perhaps much higher, than 10% due to the reasons above.

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 07:23:51 PM »
When I was looking for a puppy I was told by one breeder that cocker spaniels do not need testing for PRA.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 08:04:31 PM »
When I was looking for a puppy I was told by one breeder that cocker spaniels do not need testing for PRA.

That's appalling IMO  >:(

William is 6 years old and his dad was tested just after William was born, when testing was just beginning to become more commonplace and more easily available. William's dad is a PRA carrier and his owner publicised the fact and subsequently only used him at stud to Optigen tested clear bitches. You could argue that he shouldn't have been used at stud at all any more, but I think his exceptional temperament gave merit to him being used. I don't know William's PRA status, although I know a litter mate tested clear, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he is unaffected.

As time goes on and more Cockers are being tested I think there is increasingly little merit in breeding from dogs or bitches that are carriers. I'm prepared to be shot down in flames here, but surely as the years go by the gene pool of hereditarily clear or tested clear stock will get big enough to warrant breeding only from them?

I think it's wrong to breed from affected dogs or bitches, even if they're mated to a clear bitch or dog and the pedigrees are endorsed not for breeding. The puppies will be carriers and despite the endorsement there's nothing to stop their owners from breeding from them and simply not registering the litters with the KC.

There are loads of Cocker Spaniels in the area where I live and when I meet owners with puppies I ask them about health testing and I'm amazed at how few have any idea about it.

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 12:02:15 AM »

That's appalling IMO  >:(

William is 6 years old and his dad was tested just after William was born, when testing was just beginning to become more commonplace and more easily available. William's dad is a PRA carrier and his owner publicised the fact and subsequently only used him at stud to Optigen tested clear bitches. You could argue that he shouldn't have been used at stud at all any more, but I think his exceptional temperament gave merit to him being used. I don't know William's PRA status, although I know a litter mate tested clear, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he is unaffected.

As time goes on and more Cockers are being tested I think there is increasingly little merit in breeding from dogs or bitches that are carriers. I'm prepared to be shot down in flames here, but surely as the years go by the gene pool of hereditarily clear or tested clear stock will get big enough to warrant breeding only from them?

I think it's wrong to breed from affected dogs or bitches, even if they're mated to a clear bitch or dog and the pedigrees are endorsed not for breeding. The puppies will be carriers and despite the endorsement there's nothing to stop their owners from breeding from them and simply not registering the litters with the KC.
There are loads of Cocker Spaniels in the area where I live and when I meet owners with puppies I ask them about health testing and I'm amazed at how few have any idea about it.

Have to agree 100% with Elaine!

I also feel the craze for so called 'designer' breeds like labradoodles & cokerpoos will produce a new wave of afflicted dogs, as all three breeds concerned are prone to prcd-PRA. People breeding for fun, because 'they want to' or for financial gain, aren't going to health check their dogs, nor be concerned about their future  :'(   
(sorry, bit off topic there but still relevant IMO  ;) )
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!