Author Topic: devastated ;-(....UPDATE Pg 5, HAVE HEARD FROM THE VETS....shes now home!  (Read 8637 times)

Offline ebony girl

a couple of weeks ago we realised that puppy gypsy had a lump on her tail, took her to our regular vet who said that it was dislocated, we were devastated as gypsy was supposed to be shown, but first and foremost they are pets and we love them so we came to terms with this. :'(

we have tried in vain to splint the tail in an attempt to get it to grow as straight as possible, more for her comfort in the long run really.

Anyway today noticed that the skin was looking sore at the point of dislocation and that it was causing her discomfort. We were a little unhappy with the response from our vet the first time we took her regarding her tail and when i rang this afternoon was told that my vet couldnt see her till tomorrow  >:(

anyway on the advise of many friends have taken her to an alternative vets this afternoon and saw a lovely vet....to cut a long story short she has told me that the tail needs amputating just above the break, (about an inch or so off the end) as the skin is starting to break down and within a few days it could be very infected and also she was in so much pain by the time we got there and even growled and went to bite the vet  ph34r....i asked for a second opinion of another vet there and within a few minutes 2 other vets came to see us, took xrays and confirmed her diagnosis.

im devastated, but not just for the tail....my main concern is the anaesthetic on a 14 week old pup.....im in bits, cant stop shaking and crying, i know it has to be done but i dont want to take her in the morning  :'( :'( :'(

Offline PennyB

Re: devastated ;-(
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 06:26:59 PM »
Anaesthetics are much better these days even for small pups (some rescues here in the UK and particularly in the US neuter cats and dogs at this age so they do regulrly use them without ill effect + with age on her side she'll recover very quickly). I can imagine an op like this will be relatively quick as well so less time under. Hope all goes well.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline black taz

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:29:57 PM »
I think the best thing to think about in these cases is the alternative - in this case infection, suffering, then operation anyway.  Best to get it over and done with,with the least amount of suffering for her.  I suspect she wont be under for long, and puppies recover extremely quickly, she will be back to her normal self within days and you will be asking for advice on how to keep her quiet!

I know how difficult it is for you, hugs for tomorrow for both of you.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 06:32:51 PM »
I think the best thing to think about in these cases is the alternative - in this case infection, suffering, then operation anyway.  Best to get it over and done with,with the least amount of suffering for her.  I suspect she wont be under for long, and puppies recover extremely quickly, she will be back to her normal self within days and you will be asking for advice on how to keep her quiet!

I know how difficult it is for you, hugs for tomorrow for both of you.

god i hope so, im a mess right now i cant even begin to think how im gonna feel tomorrow

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 06:34:14 PM »
I'm sure she will be fine :D
I have a friend showing a dog who was docked for medical reasons since the docking ban.
She cannot show at shows people pay to visit but she does show and has had some lovely wins.
I'm sure the lady involved would speak to you if you still wanted to show further down the line.
Reason I mention it is it may be wise to get a letter from the vet who does the opp so you have evidence if you ever wanted to get permission to show from the KC. I don't think it was easy but is was possible.
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 06:34:20 PM »
Oh I do really feel for you  :'( How awful for the poor little girl. I hope everything goes well for you and little Gypsy and that she makes a speedy recovery. Will be thinking of you both  :luv: :bigarmhug: xxx

Offline jessandme

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »
She will feel so much more comfortable once this is sorted out.  That's a good thought, yes?

They will look after her.  They will be kind and gentle, and she will get the right care.  That's another good thought.

Right now she needs you to be as normal as you can manage, you don't want her picking up on your distress, so do try for her sake if you possibly can, although it is difficult for you.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 06:37:09 PM »
I'm sure she will be fine :D
I have a friend showing a dog who was docked for medical reasons since the docking ban.
She cannot show at shows people pay to visit but she does show and has had some lovely wins.
I'm sure the lady involved would speak to you if you still wanted to show further down the line.
Reason I mention it is it may be wise to get a letter from the vet who does the opp so you have evidence if you ever wanted to get permission to show from the KC. I don't think it was easy but is was possible.

thankyou, a friend has mentioned this too so will defo get a letter from the vet and look into this in the future.....im just so concerned about the anaesthetic right now i cant even think straight....

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 06:40:01 PM »
She will feel so much more comfortable once this is sorted out.  That's a good thought, yes?

They will look after her.  They will be kind and gentle, and she will get the right care.  That's another good thought.

Right now she needs you to be as normal as you can manage, you don't want her picking up on your distress, so do try for her sake if you possibly can, although it is difficult for you.

i know you're right and im gonna try, am now giving her, her favourite dinner (puppy kibble with warm water tuna and a little chicken) then take her for a little walk.......just cant it out of my head that if something goes wrong could be my last walk with her

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 06:42:50 PM »
Poor little Gypsy, hope the op goes well and she will be back to her bouncy puppy self soon  :luv:

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
Such a shame  :'(

But as others have said this needs sorting. Anaesthetics are much safer these days and just think how much better she will be.

It is distressing for us when our pets have to have an op but you have to try and not pass this on to her.

Gypsy will be fine.  :bigarmhug: for you.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »
Poor little mite  :'(

Definitely best to get it done before complications from infection etc set in but I do understand your worry about the anaesthetic. Will be sending lots of positive thoughts her way tomorrow - I hope it all goes smoothly for her and that the next thread you post will be asking how to keep her quiet while her tail heals  ;) :luv:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 07:09:28 PM »
Awww what a shame, poor little love  :'( Lots of love and best wishes for an easy op and a speedy recovery  :luv: x

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »
Will be thinking of you and Gypsy tomorrow and wishing her a speedy recovery.

As others have said, try not to worry - easier said than done I know.    :bigarmhug:

Offline poppy

• Donator
  • Betsy b 17/05/2011
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 07:18:30 PM »
Poor little one.

I agree with the others, that anaesthetics these days are much safer than before.
She will be under only for a little while, so she won't be given too much anaesthetic.

You will be fine knowing that she is under the best care that she can get.

Sending to you and Gypsy positive and healthy vibes for a speedy operation
and a speedy recovery.

Lots of love ... Lizzie
Micka 17/03/1996-12/07/2011 Sleep my darling baby