Author Topic: Woody's leg(s)  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Choc-Chip

Woody's leg(s)
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:12:29 PM »
Poor little Woody's legs still seem to be quite delicate. He's coming up to 9 months now and he's just started limping today for the second time in about the last 2 months. The first time was back in June and after a week of it not getting any better I took him to the vet who gave us anti biotics and anti inflammatories. She said his hips were the best she'd seen in a long time and could only put it down to an infection. It took a couple of days for the tablets to actually kick in and then he seemed fine again. But today after a walk, he's started holding up a different paw. This time it's his front right whereas last time it was his back left. I know it's not his hips and don't want to just keep taking him back to the vets everytime he limps but he seems to be really hobbling, bless him. He's not yelping or even touching it, just holds it up when he's standing and hobbles when walking on it. Has anyone else had this or got any ideas/advice.

Thank You in advance,
Emma & Woody
XxX

Offline maddy74

Re: Woody's leg(s)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:30:27 PM »
No advice Emma but sending big hugs from us and especially Willow to Woody xxxx Hope you get some answers soon, poor lil man xxxx

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 11:56:35 PM »
Poor Woody, something must be bothering him!  Have you checked his paws in between the pads and toes in case he has something stuck in there ?  or is he sore there? 
Also are his nails overgrown ? Could he have been stung if he's been in nettles ?
 :-\

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 07:26:14 AM »
Thanks Maddy.

Jann, we were out on a walk yesterday and there was a lot of nettles and brambles we had to walk through, he was a but anxious about walking through them as well. Maybe he has been stung or trodden on something and hurt it. Can dogs get stung by nettles? I did check his pads and toes but will have another look I think. He seemed to have forgotten all about it when OH just fed him but then started limping again. Not sure if he's milking it slightly. He is a monster and such a worry at times. If it gets any worse then I think he'll be back off to the vets.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 08:27:44 AM »
I think as much as you fear wasted visits to the vets, when he has a flare up its the best time for them to assess what it could be and what to definitely exclude. I'd be inclined to get him checked again, whether you choose a different vet or show the same vet is up to you.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 10:42:59 AM »
I agree with Bluegirl. No I don't think he is 'milking it' dogs don't think in that way. I wonder also if he could have a grass seed imbedded, in which case if it is left and progresses to another partof his body could even result in surgery at some point. This is unfortunately quite a common occurrence if you read back on posts on the forum!

In naswer to your question, yes they can suffer from nettle stings just like we can !

If you don't have confidence in your vet, find another. Good luck with this  ;)

Jann

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 11:11:44 AM »
Hope he's OK.  It could be that he's compensating & apparently would make sense if it's his front right he's lame on & it was his left back before. 
I know what you mean that you don't want to rush to the vets everytime he limps, maybe just rest him totally for a couple of days & see how he goes?     Could he have just overdone it for a youngster?

How long is it since he was last limping?
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 01:12:08 PM »
Thanks for all your comments and advice. I don't mind taking him to the vets if he does need to go. Have double checked all his paws and given them a little trim this morn as he had quite a lot of hair in between them and can't see anything. If it was a grass seed, wouldn't he be biting at it and licking it? It seems to be similar to the last time he was limping which was around middle of June time. I think he maybe is aching from his walk yesterday and maybe I over did it with him.  :-\ oh I do feel really guilty and probably sound awful. I think I will rest him this week now and see if it gets better. If he's any worse in the next couple of days then I think we'll be off to the vets =[ 

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 01:36:37 PM »
Well Woody's leg seems miles better today. He's only holding his paw up now and again so I think he's literally strained or bruised his leg probably from the long walk on Sunday. Will rest him until the weekend and hopefully he'll be right as rain. If it did get any worse then obviously we'd be off to the vets.  :-\

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:41:30 PM »
 ;) glad his leg is getting better today...they do worry us dont they??
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »
Aww thats excellent - i totally understand how easy it is to over worry with little things like that but in my opinion much better to be safe than sorry ..
Soooooo gald Woody is much better and send lots of  :luv:
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 09:47:49 PM »
Well Woody is back on Metacam now for a week. Had another trip to the vets this afternoon  :huh: They still don't know exactly what is wrong with him though. He's started limping again on his front right leg. It's such a worry and horrible to see him limping. He's not yelping or bothering with it other than hobbling and limping around. Not sure what the answer is but vet says it'll be x rays next and even that may not show anything up. Hopefully the Metacam will work and we're rubbing Arnica gel on his leg too so fingers crossed.

Offline sandie72

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 09:53:15 PM »
What a worry for you.  :'( Fingers crossed that Woody is on the mend soon.  :D

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 10:10:07 PM »
I know pups can suffer from something called Panosteitis (or "growing pains") but it's usually more common in large breed dogs - it's worth getting your vet to check that out  ;)

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1561&aid=466
helen & jarvis x

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 10:16:21 PM »
Thanks Helen. I have heard of that before. The vet mentioned about bone problems in larger breed dogs but said it would be uncommon in a Cocker.