Author Topic: Constipated? :( - UPDATE - Intussusception :(  (Read 4686 times)

Offline pennylopey

• Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020
Constipated? :( - UPDATE - Intussusception :(
« on: October 14, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »
I think Alfie might be constipated. :(

He had his first ever chicken wing on Wednesday night, he absolutely loved it and was really excited by it. My OH was with him at the time and watched him closely, he did chew it well before he ate it but altogether it didn't take long for him to finish the whole thing, maybe 5 mins at the most.

He was fine all day yesterday but now I think he might be constipated, he's not done a poo since last night (which was normal) and he's wimpering and crying a lot and seems to be trying to mess with his back/bottom area. He isn't squatting though to try and poo which I thought he'd do if he was constipated?

What should we do? I'm at work now but OH his with him although he has to leave soon to fetch the kids from school, and the kids have swimming later so Alfie would be at home alone for an hour or so. I've said to make sure Alfie drinks plenty of water and he hasn't had his lunch but wondered whether we could give Alfie anything to soften things up inside?

I'm trying to resist panic-calling the vet (which I've done before!) but being a first time doggy/cocker owner I'm worrying! Does this sound like constipation, maybe caused by the bone? Would it help to take him for another walk about or is that likely to make matters worse? He's trying to have a sleep at the moment and is feeling very sorry for himself. :(
Missing Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
Re: Constipated? :(
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 06:26:37 PM »
Could be constipation caused by the chicken wing, it sometimes happens with the first couple until they get used to them.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline pennylopey

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:02:30 PM »
Thanks Lynne.

I checked him again when I got back from work and could feel something in his tummy so took him to the vet, the vet thinks he's got an obstruction but said it feels smallish so he may pass it in time. He's given an anti sickness injection and some rehydration stuff and said to go back tomorrow morning for an xray if he hasn't passed anything.

Fingers crossed, he looks so sorry for himself, although he is now comfortable enough to sleep which he wasn't earlier.  :'(

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:40:37 PM »
Poor Alfie, hope everything sorts itself out and he is better soon.

Offline pennylopey

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 09:17:34 AM »
We're back off to the vets, Alfie is still suffering and he passed some bright red blood this morning so whatever is in there is doing him some damage by the looks of it. He's still not eaten since yesterday morning but now he's refusing water too.

Really worried for my boy right now, hope they can sort him out quickly, I'm missing his teeth digging into my hand!  :'(

Offline seaangler

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 09:28:49 AM »
Careing and most hopefull thoughts that everthing is O/K with young Alfie....

Chris and Fran.....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 09:37:14 AM »
Poor Alfie  :'( :'(

Positive thoughts from us  :-* :-*

Millie

Offline poppy

• Donator
  • Betsy b 17/05/2011
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »
Poor little Alfie  :'( :'(

I hope he isn't in too much.

Sending our love and positive and healthy vibes to Alfie and your family.

:bigarmhug::luv::-*

Love Lizzie and Betsy xxx

Lots of love ... Lizzie
Micka 17/03/1996-12/07/2011 Sleep my darling baby

Offline pennylopey

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 10:10:36 AM »
Well as I thought they would the vets have kept him in. Alfie really freaked out when he saw the vet, probably because he hurt him yesterday, so the vet said that he'd take him in for sedation because whatever is in there he needs surgery so he decided to sedate him for the op then xray him.  :'(

Alfie looked so, so sad when I left him and I've cried like a proper wuss!

Got to wait for the phone to ring now, the vet did say that Alfie will be there overnight whatever happens but hopefully he can sort him out asap and I can bring him home tomorrow.

I'm so emotional! He's our first puppy and he's not had much luck so far.  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Dozy bird

• My beautiful babies
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 10:23:27 AM »
Send lots of love and positive thoughts to you  :luv:

I'm sure he'll be just fine and in the place he can get sorted and ready to come home for lots of love and tlc.

Roxy is our first pooch too and I'm always worrying about her too (our pups share birthdays and are the same colour btw).
 :bigarmhug:

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 01:32:52 PM »
Sending positive thoughts to you :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »
Thinking about you and hoping Alfie is sorted quickly and back home with you real soon  :bigarmhug:

Offline Christal

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 02:10:54 PM »
Loads of positive thoughts for you all.

Really hope everything goes well.   xxx

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 02:51:45 PM »

Hope he is ok soon.
 :luv:

And to reassure you, while a chicken wing can cause harder poos, one is very unlikely to cause constipation and, in normal circumstances would have passed through his system well before he started to have problems (I can tell what Honey has eaten by her poos, and the longest it takes to have an effect is 24hrs for sweetcorn!!!). 
It sounds like he's swallowed something else at some point (puppies can be pickles for chomping on stones or bits of rubber... ) - hope whatever it is passes soon and you have your pupster home!  There may be evidence of the chicken wing if whatever has caused the blockage was eaten before you gave the bone, but don't fret that feeding him the chicken wing has caused this...  :bigarmhug:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline pennylopey

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 03:09:15 PM »
The vet just called, it wasn't a blockage at all but an intussusception, part of his small intestine had gone inside another part of his small intestine and the blood supply had all but been cut off, so the folded in bit was dying, which explains the blood passed this morning as well as everything else. Apparently this can be fatal very quickly if not treated.  :'(

The vet said he's removed some of the small intestine but quite a small section, and has reattached it ok. He was concerned initially about reattaching as it's quite close to the end of the intestine (cecum?) but he's done it and thinks it should heal up OK. I was still a bit paranoid about the chicken but the vet said it wouldn't have been the cause, more often than not there is no determinable cause and it's just 'one of those things'.

When he called he said Alfie was just coming round and seemed to be doing really well although we have to wait for the next 24-48 hours to be sure he'll be OK. The vet will call again in the morning to let me know how he's doing and whether we'll get him home tomorrow or Monday.

I'm so glad he's insured as I dread to think what the cost will be, but I've read that there's up to a 25% chance of recurrence and presume that further occurences won't be covered. All I can do is hope it doesn't happen again, we don't have the kind of money it'd take to 'fix' this.

In the meantime we're missing him like crazy, even with a 5 and 7 year old the house seems so quiet. I want my boy home with his needle teeth and wiggly bum!  :luv: