Author Topic: Wonky claws  (Read 692 times)

Offline jasminepoppy

Wonky claws
« on: February 17, 2012, 05:37:14 PM »
Just collected Lola from the groomer & she showed me Lola's nails & I got a bit of a shock because they are growing at right angles.  I whisked her over to the vet straight away & I feel really bad because they think that it could be because they have grown too quickly between haircuts - but I'm not convinced.  Apparently they will never grow back "properly" & I will have to pop her in to the vet nurse every 8 weeks to have them checked.  Lola's a black cocker, nearly 4 years old, but I'm worried about this as a problem with her nails has never been detected before. Does anyone else have experience of wonky claws?  Could it be something to do with her autoimmune system or diet? Or am I being paranoid? (normal, obsessive, cockers online addict!)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: Wonky claws
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 05:45:45 PM »
Every 8 weeks?  My dogs nails are trimmed a couple of times a week, just a little each time, the more often you trim them the quicker the 'quick' shrinks back, so each time you can cut them a bit shorter

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 06:01:20 PM »
When Holly was alive, she had wonky nails.  They grew sideways, backwards, under and they peeled and sometimes just fell out.  It was indeed an autoimmune problem.  We already had Chloe with AIHA and on 2 immunosuppressants and after discussion with the vet we decided that the risks of drugs to correct them far outweighed the benefits as it was only nails and unlikely ever to become life threatening xxx
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline emma_and_tilly

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 06:08:22 PM »
I never cut Tilly's claws...should I be? Feeling like a bad mummy now.
Emma

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 07:52:29 PM »
I never cut Tilly's claws...should I be? Feeling like a bad mummy now.
Emma

Don't feel bad, I don't cut Ellie's.  Whenever I go to the vets I ask them to check them and they say they are fine.  I think walking on pavements & roads keeps them filed down nicely.

Offline emma_and_tilly

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 10:36:55 AM »
Thank you country girl! She does get a fair it of road walking on the school run so I'm sure she's fine...she's due her check up t the vets soon so I'll get him to take a look.
Emma x

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:56:33 AM »
Freya has an intense fear of having hers done but luckily they never need doing. Her everday walking and wear and tear keeps them at a nice length

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 11:03:28 AM »
Just wondering, did the vets take some clippings to rule out any fungal infections?
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline jasminepoppy

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »
Good point about testing clippings but I'm sure they ended up in the bin as they were convinced it's because her nails had been neglected (which they weren't!) After helpful advice here (& a bit of googling!) I'm going to do more pavement walks, I'll learn how to clip nails myself & will take her back to vets in a couple of weeks for them to have a proper look. I do want them to think about possible fungal/autoimmune problem just for my peace of mind really. She's on antibiotics now because groomer nicked the edge of her ear quite badly & she had to have it glued yesterday so will give the poor pup (& me!) a bit of a break from the professionals. Thank you all for your help - I'll keep you posted.