Author Topic: Healthy lively dog vomiting every few days  (Read 8262 times)

Offline jemimabear

• Marley xx
Healthy lively dog vomiting every few days
« on: September 09, 2012, 10:54:22 AM »
Marley is a boisterous, fit and lively 5 month old show cocker. Ever since i had him at 8 weeks he has been sick every few days or so but has never looked sorry for himself or lost energy. I have taken him to the vets but haven't seemed to get get to the bottom of the problem.

Over time, these are the things I have tried to alleviate the problem...he has been wormed, eats and drinks from a raised feeder, small amounts of water, slow feeder bowl, antibiotics, Changed food to James Wellbeloved then Hills prescription diet, kibble and/ or tinned meat, no treats (which is impacting his training.) None of these have seemed to have any real effect.

Marley is occasionally sick immediately after eating due to the speed he eats at. Sometimes I have put his vomiting down to over excitement, barking or running around. If he wasn't so happy and healthy I would be panicked. He is putting on weight and has a lovely coat but obviously I know this is not normal. (It is costing me a fortune at the vets and in carpet cleaning too!) I have been keeping a log of his feeding and vomitin and there really is no pattern. There is no prior warning or wretching, it just happens out of the blue. He has even been sleeping on the sofa and been sick where he was lying. He then instantly carries on as normal and shows no signs of illness or being under the weather. I just want to make sure there is nothing I'm missing here so that he is happy and healthy as possible.

Any ideas/feedback would be great.
Gemma and Marley xx

Offline sneeky1

Re: Healthy lively dog vomiting every few days
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 11:30:44 AM »
it's a bit of a weird one if you say there is no signs prior to being sick :-\ is there any chance he has ate something that has lodged somewhere in stomach,maybe a coin or similar that may cause something like this?
hope you get it sorted soon

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 11:32:54 AM »
No expert, but have you tried little food but more often, I don't know what you feed him.. But if it's kibble could you try and make a game of feeding by hiding little bits around the house so he is not inhailing his food and he is getting small amounts but more often, I think there are feeder that can help them to eat slower as well.  I wouldn't worry too much if he is active and healthy.  Hope things improve

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 11:37:43 AM »
Poor you and poor little Marley. Have you spoken to the breeder? Did she notice this before you got him home or did it start soon after you got him? Its a bit of a stab in the dark, but did you change food from whatever he was weaned on before this started? Something similar to this happened when I was a child and my mum bred springers. One pup was constantly sick and no one could find a cause. Eventually she contacted my mum who suggested going back to the food she had been weaned onto and that did the trick. I only remember it because she was my favourite pup and I begged my parents to let me keep her. When I heard she was ill, I secretly hoped she would be returned to us.

Offline jemimabear

• Marley xx
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 04:47:48 PM »
Thanks for all your comments. I have spoken to the breeder and she said occasionally puppies are sick but she didn't notice anything in particular with Marley. It first happen the day after I picked him up but put that down to the stress of leaving his family. I kept him on the food from the breeders for a month although the nutritional quality wasn't the best, just wanted him to settle in with what he was used to.

I have tried the slow feeder and keep the James Wellbeloved (at present)  kibble moist to aid digestion. I have a feeling he might be eating his own poo occasionally as his vomit sometime smells. I have been keeping a close eye on him when he goes out but maybe it's when he is left. Iwill try feeding tiny bits at a time to see if that helps. Worth a go! Thanks again, will keep you updated. X
Gemma and Marley xx

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »
I was just reading that faecal smelling vomit could be a sign of a bowel obstruction. I wonder if it's worth an x ray?
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline jemimabear

• Marley xx
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 05:30:35 PM »
Oh! That cold explain a few things, thanks for that, will ask the vet about an X-ray
Gemma and Marley xx

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 09:00:10 PM »
Just another thought sorry to be graphic  ph34r
Harry eats cat poo in the garden and is often sick  :020: and yes it smells of poo, tried everything to stop next doors cats coming in but its impossible. Other than than that he is fine and healthy just like you describe Marley to be.
Do you have any cats nearby??

Offline jemimabear

• Marley xx
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »
We have a cat too but I check the garden is clean twice a day, the cat only goes in the neighbours garden. :lol2:
Gemma and Marley xx

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 10:14:37 PM »
We have a cat too but I check the garden is clean twice a day, the cat only goes in the neighbours garden. :lol2:

:005: :005: perhaps the garden is clean because Marley gets there first  ;)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 10:10:09 AM »
I think I would be asking the vets to do a more thorough check and if all is clear then you can try food changes xx

Offline jemimabear

• Marley xx
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 07:36:25 PM »
We've been back to the vets tonight and are booked in for X-rays and further investigation tomorrow morning as Marley's abdomen is now tender. Still running around like a mentalist! Hope he is ok and we get to the bottom of this. :huh:

Gemma and Marley xx

Offline maddy74

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 07:56:13 PM »
Poor Marley, :'(  hope it goes okay with the x ray and you find out whats bothering him. Keep us up to date xx

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 08:07:54 PM »
Good luck tomorrow x

Offline jemimabear

• Marley xx
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 09:58:30 PM »
Thanks everyone, this site has been great support x
Gemma and Marley xx