Author Topic: Getting my dog spayed before first season....  (Read 8654 times)

Offline Becky87

Getting my dog spayed before first season....
« on: September 20, 2012, 02:41:30 PM »
Whilst growing up I've had two cross breed dogs and they both were spayed before there first season at 6months... Both lived happy lives and one is still going strong.

I moved out of home and to a different area,  brought a border collie (a year ago) and the vets said I have to wait till she's had her first season... I thought this was a bit odd but I knew they were vets, so I trusted there opinion.

My border collie has come into her first season and she's irritable and clearly hates the fact she's having a season. I rang the the old vets where my parents took/take there dogs and they said they still spay from 6 months before first season.

I have a 6month old cocker and I'm wondering if I should take her to my old vets and get her spayed before the first season or let her go through what my border collie is going through now?

So the question is should I get my cocker spaniel spayed before her first season?

Poppy

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
Re: Getting my dog spayed before first season....
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 02:56:11 PM »
Becky

I'm in Oakham and our vets recommend to wait three months after 1st season

She also had a phantom pregnancy the day after she was speyed. She actually had it done the day before her 1st birthday,

J

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 03:08:30 PM »
Roxy didn't even seem aware that she was having a season. I got her done after her first season as recommended by my vet
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 03:19:21 PM »
Vet opinions do vary as mine says that there is no benefit to the dog in waiting til after the first season and advocates spaying at 6mnths for the reduced risk of mammary cancer benefits are greater if it is done earlier.

Having said that I had Jazz done after her first season which was at 9mnths then had to wait 3mnths so she was just a year old.  I will probably have my new pup done at 6mnths as I know I am not going to breed.

You just have to do what you think is best for your dog, as you say your collie is clearly unhappy being in season but my Jazz sailed thru hers and don't think she even knew she was having it!!!!!

All dogs are different as are vet opinions so just go with your gut instinct.
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 04:07:38 PM »
All vets have their own opinion on this matter....mine advocates spaying before they come into season  for the first time. Both my girls were spayed at the age of 6 months which was fine as we have never intended to breed. There are lots of conflicting eveidence about when is best...do what you believe to be right.

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:38:40 PM »
There is always conflicting advice given and in the end it's up to you. Personally I prefer to wait until they've had a season so that they're fully mature, but that's just me (in fact Penny's on her second season and I haven't taken the plunge yet as her seasons have been quite easy).

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
My vets are even doing paediatric spaying/neutering - around the same time as they have their jabs!  Personally, I feel that's a little early, but there must be some reason for it!  The thinking about the 'ideal' time to spay a bitch or castrate a dog is always changing anyway, so I suspect that it doesn't make much difference really - it's up to personal choice.

Offline Bella & Poppy

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:41:38 PM »
Hi

I.spoke with.about 6 vets and all said as near to the first season as possible ie six months.

We have had Bella and poppy spayed one there six months birthday and haven't touch wood haven't had any issues

I think like all things you just got to do your research and make a decision yourself.

Hard I know but you got do what you think is right

Offline Becky87

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 09:55:26 PM »
Thanks for all your comments, they have been great help.

I think I'm going to go away, talk to my partner and see which we think is best.

Thanks again to you all.

Poppy

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 10:32:37 PM »
My vets are even doing paediatric spaying/neutering - around the same time as they have their jabs!  Personally, I feel that's a little early, but there must be some reason for it!  The thinking about the 'ideal' time to spay a bitch or castrate a dog is always changing anyway, so I suspect that it doesn't make much difference really - it's up to personal choice.

Sorry but I think that is dreadful, I would be changing vets if I knew mine did it that early  >:D  For a start putting an 8-10 week old pup under a GA is awful.

I always recommend letting them have 1 season first.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »
My Skye was spayed at 5 months old before coming into season. She is nearly 2 now and perfectly fine. I'd do it again.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 10:00:07 AM »
This is a personal decision, and one which always brings up differing opinions.

Just wanted to tell you our experience, our first girl Cassie was spayed at 6 months (collie cross). She died aged 15, we didn't ever have any issues with her.

Ruby (springer/retriever cross) is nearly 6, she was spayed at 6 months, recommended by a different vet. No problems as yet.

Jem has recently been spayed at 6 months.

You just have to do what you feel comfortable with :)
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 10:45:45 AM »

Sorry but I think that is dreadful, I would be changing vets if I knew mine did it that early  >:D  For a start putting an 8-10 week old pup under a GA is awful.

I always recommend letting them have 1 season first.

I agree, but I think it might be done laprascopically with no proper incision - and it's supposed to be far less traumatic for the pup, that's their reasoning anyway.  I have to say I didn't take a great deal of notice when the vet nurse was talking to someone about it at Ozzy's first puppy party as plan to let him mature first before we have him neutered, if we even do.  I won't be changing vets, because they are brilliant in every other way!

Offline TracyR

• Bella
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »
Was discussing this with the vet the other week and he was telling me that the latest research seems to favour the view in the US of the earlier the better if you're not planning to breed, practise at my vets at the moment is 6 months if the dog is thought to be mature enough.
Bella's fave chew toy x

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 12:58:49 PM »
Was discussing this with the vet the other week and he was telling me that the latest research seems to favour the view in the US of the earlier the better if you're not planning to breed, practise at my vets at the moment is 6 months if the dog is thought to be mature enough.
[/i]

....if the dog is thought to be mature enough ....this is the crux of the matter. I had my 2 retrievers spayed before their first season but it was due to health issues and they were 10 months old. IMO the puppy needs to mature before spaying and there is always the risk of early spay incontinence.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers