Author Topic: Weeing habits  (Read 581 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Weeing habits
« on: July 27, 2014, 03:52:01 PM »
Riley has done a wee in the house twice in recent weeks. Both times after he hasn't gone for hours and is ready to go out and play with his ball at the park, Ive presumed he has forgotten in excitement, but he now goes for sometimes up to most of the day without weeing and will wait till walks.
Also on a morning he wont readily go when he gets up, often wait till an hour or two later on his walk and wont readily go in the place he has been going for the last two years, preferring instead to go at the front garden instead of on the stones in the back where he has been trained and always has gone.

I was thinking perhaps he might have an infection, but hubby seems to think he would go more if this was the case and he is linking it to when he hasn't gone for ages and is excited about going on to play.
Im now taking him back to the same spot in garden and getting him to do it there as he used to.

Also he would in the past just wander up there at times and go but now he seems not to and will only go on walks.
Just want to nip the habit in the bud, any ideas? He is 2 1/2 years now.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Weeing habits
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 04:55:56 PM »
William likes to hold on for ages until he's absolutely bursting and then goes in the garden, squats and pees a lake :005:. He was the same even as a puppy and I sometimes worry that it can't be good for his kidneys :dunno:

About 2 or 3 times a year he'll have an accident indoors (major clear up of flooding because he's held on for so long) but it's because he's refused to pee in the garden last thing at night or before I've gone out somewhere, so I have to be very firm and stand in the garden with him when he's like that and make him stay out there until he has a pee. First thing in the morning I make sure he has a pee before I feed him his breakfast and I won't let him sneak back in the house until I've seen him pee. No such problems with Louis, who sprinkles pretty much every plant, tree and pot in the garden at every opportunity :lol2:. It's odd really, because William was so easy to housetrain and Louis was so slow to learn.

I think you would know if Riley had an infection. Will had one a few months ago and he had a couple of accidents in the house on consecutive days and was also desperate to dash out and pee frequently in the garden.

Does Riley cock his leg and mark when you're on walks? If so could you get a friend's dog to come into your garden and pee where Riley has been trained to? Sounds daft, but it might encourage Riley to start peeing there again. If not, can you stand in the back garden with him on lead in the peeing place first thing in the morning and try waiting until he goes and then really praise him? Maybe that would get him back into the habit again.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 05:03:26 PM »
Thanks for that Elaine, I think that's exactly what we will do now, ie not let him back in the house to have breakfast until he wee,s that's what it was like before anyway.
Also great idea about another dog coming in and weeing, as yes he is a champion at marking on walks so I think that would totally work.

He too was brilliant at puppy toilet training just like William lol, can count on one hadn the amount of accidents.
Also its much worse now as there is so much to clean up with them holding so long.

Going to go back a little to basics now and stop allowing him the choice to wee out front or out back, been a bit soft there I feel.
Thank you Elaine ,

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 05:14:55 PM »
 If Gemma or Poppy dont perform when in the garden, they get told to " go pee" and are not allowed in until they do. We always get a result, even if it is a teaspoon full. We have managed to get all ours to pee and poop on command. Dont know what the neighbour thinks of us " go pee, no thats a poop now go pee" conversations early morning and late at night.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 05:26:32 PM »
If Gemma or Poppy dont perform when in the garden, they get told to " go pee" and are not allowed in until they do. We always get a result, even if it is a teaspoon full. We have managed to get all ours to pee and poop on command. Dont know what the neighbour thinks of us " go pee, no thats a poop now go pee" conversations early morning and late at night.

Haha riley will perform when he knows we are going out as he,ll get a kong, he usually pees quick at night too when he "knows" he,ll get supper ;) they are far from daft ! :)