Author Topic: Excessive panting?  (Read 767 times)

Offline SAM -BOB

Excessive panting?
« on: July 27, 2014, 08:19:30 PM »
Following on from SAMs grass seed removal last week he's had a restful week been taking his meds (prednicare and antibiotics) but last night and all day today he's started excessive constant panting, I know it's hot but it's not like the panting he normally does to cool down this is constant and he seems agitated could it be a side effect of the steriods?? Should I be worried?  I will ring the vets tomorrow but wondered if I need to do something tonight??

Offline Murphys Law

Re: Excessive panting?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 08:33:23 PM »
Panting can be a sign of discomfort and pain. Definitely a trip to the vets in the morning.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:40:24 PM »
Hi found this   http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/dog-panting-heavily

Medication. Some medications, such as prednisone, may also lead to heavy panting in dogs. Talk to your veterinarian if you think your dog’s medication is causing heavy panting.

Hope you can read article it mention many reason like pain and heat, if you are still concerned ring the duty vet tonight rather than worry all night, I would honestly that is what they are there for.

Take care J

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 09:52:13 PM »
Our old dog was on steroids long term. They made her pant excessively so it could be a side effect. I would definitely speak to the vet though as there may be an alternative that would suit Sam better xxx

Offline SAM -BOB

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »
Thanks all will ring 1st thing in morning x

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 11:10:08 PM »
Glad you are going to phone - hopefully it's just the heat, but I agree that panting along with the agitation could be pain related. Just thought I'd let you know that some cockers are prone to developing pancreatitis while on steroids, so do keep an eye on him. Brodie can't take them now for this reason!

x In memory of Barney x

Offline ANJ

• Otis 24.10.2010
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 09:14:30 AM »
Hi there. I know you are speaking to the vets today which I think you should too but just wanted to say that our Otis has been on steroids a few times and he will pant when on them even when it's winter and freezing outside.
Apparently it is a known side effect.

Get him checked. Out vet reassured me when I first queried this that Otis was ok
and continued treatment.