Author Topic: Does the undergrowth smell extra good to cockers at this time of year?  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Mutley

it's just that a fairly reliable recall has recently gone completely to pot when my cocker is  snuffling around in the bracken,woods etc.

In an open field recall remains good.

I don't know whether suddenly the smells are a lot stronger in the countryside, which could explain this? He will be 2 years old at the end of this month.

Can anyone give their thoughts please?

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Does the undergrowth smell extra good to cockers at this time of year?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 04:45:08 PM »
Gemma's nose can block out all sound going into her ears  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 05:26:46 PM »
I think it's the weather, the scents are not disappearing with the sunshine but lingering with the lower temperatures.

Bea has gone "Spaniel" on me since it's been cooler, the same as Min's Gemma,  her nose blocks her ears as well  :005:

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 01:39:42 PM »
It's the way that they look up and you can see them saying "Hang on - I'll get back to you"

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »
It's shooting season so the woods on and adjacent to shoot grounds will be stocked with pheasant and/or partridge.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Mutley

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 05:46:51 PM »
ah so I am not imagining it then!
I  suppose I should keep him away from undergrowth in that case. It's quite scary  not having any reaction especially when he's out of sight. He could get lost!
How do you all cope with it?

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 06:10:10 PM »
the first time they "do a runner" is terrible. you imagine everything.
 the first time Gemma did it I watched her go worrying about her safety but as she got closer to a main road my thoughts then changed from her to how to sort out the RTA that was going to happen and would my insurance be enough. to be honest I was petrified.
 Luckily the hare had good sense to change direction and run back up the field.
 But each incident makes you more aware and you build that 6th sense that you need. just like when driving your car, your 6th sense tells you to watch out because the approaching moron is going to do something stupid
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Mutley

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 11:39:15 AM »
I have changed tactic and haven't let him off the lead. I've done lots of heel work in the fields, and running and playing with him whilst on the lead, he seems to enjoy it!

Offline cockerdile

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
Ha, I've just read this. I love it... 'The smells blocking their ears' :)

Our little nutter is the same, although we put it down to her hitting 6 months and realising the world was a big ol' cool place with lots of rabbits to find.

Needless to say we stepped up the recall training... amazingly though even the smelliest of wet tinned mackerel does not seem to interest her when she's hunting.

Offline LouisaM

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 12:10:37 PM »
Our Tilly does seem to have her nose to the ground a lot at the moment. This weekend, she was sniffing around as usual and then suddenly shot off like greased lightning into a little copse. Out of the copse there emerged, in rapid succession, one pheasant, a rabbit and two muntjac, with Tilly in hot pursuit and (funnily enough) completely deaf to the whistle….

Needless to say, they all outran/outflew her and they scattered in different directions anyway. So although she hared off across the field, she had to admit defeat and came back, albeit in a state of some excitement! Anyway, it all goes to show that there are quite some scents around sometimes!

Offline suzzywuzzy

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 09:32:49 PM »
Oh yes, definitely agree with this! Daisy is especially fond of the swamp where the ducks and deer hide until she sniffs them out. There is NOTHING I can do to get her out until she comes to see where I am and if I am lucky and remembered my trusty rustly aluminium foil full of chicken pieces she decides she's had enough. Glad to hear we're not alone :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 09:38:01 PM »
Gemma today went up on her back legs to smell the air then shot off like a exocet missile across the field. I know she was running faster than the speed of sound because she did not hear the recall whistle  :shades:
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 06:50:34 PM »
Nerys is definately deafer than usual at the moment - this morning there were obviously fantastic smells in the fields. She ended up back on the lead before she got lost!

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 08:13:35 PM »
Totally.  I also have problems with recall in spring with Genie.  Summer and winter seem to be her seasons for best behaviour.  Today she blatantly and unashamedly ignored me.