Author Topic: Why wont she walk?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline rubyduby

Why wont she walk?
« on: October 02, 2015, 05:38:45 PM »
I have two Cocker sisters, who up to a year or so ago, where totally excited to go out and would rush off onto their walks, my OH started taking them out, his idea being to plonk them in a field sit around and let them rummage.

As time has progressed when I walk them, they are becoming more and more reluctant to walk, and prefer to rummage ALL the time, I am desperate to get them on a decent walk as they are putting weight on. Ruby the o/roan, will literally just stand and stare at me sometimes not even wanting to go for a walk just back to the car. She has had blood tests etc, and apparently there is nothing wrong with her, her feet and limbs are fine, . Sometimes when I pick her up and carry her a short distance she will trot on her walk/rummage, so if she isn't well why is she happy to trot after being carried....I am totally at loss. I have had Cockers for 38 yrs and have never had a dog that didn't want to walk, with the exception of one that had a chronic kidney condition.     

Offline Markr64

• Donator
Re: Why wont she walk?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 06:46:24 PM »
Is she on the lead when she will not walk? Maybe she has just got out of the habit of walking and is not sure what to do now.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 08:26:04 PM »
I think Markr64 has a good point - I would put both back on leads and get them back into a routine of walking.  Don't let them off the lead until they are used to it again and expect their walks!

After this evenings high speed escapade I'd happily have a cocker that prefers to potter and rummage  ;) I'm off for a glass of wine and lie down now.....

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 11:04:02 PM »
I have Maddie who is a bit like that. If we pass where we came onto a walk she will stand and stare as if she wants to go home. She will also do it if it's near feeding time!
As for the actual walk all she wants to do is sniff. She's behind us and doesn't seem to care that we've walked off into the distance. We've had spaniels for 30+ years and we've never had one like this. She is most 'unspaniel like'
I think it has become learned behaviour, so she is back on her training lead so that we can walk with a bit more purpose. If she walks well then she gets to sniff as a reward once in a while.
You have to try to be more exciting than the sniffs -will they retrieve a ball, or use the clicker and throw small treats ahead of you. I've found it very hard to keep her attention continually and that's why she gone back on the lead.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 08:52:07 AM »
Thanks for the previous comments, she is off the lead when she refuses, but is stubborn on the lead too, I have tried carrying treats /ball etc, but nothing can compete with rummaging around the gravestones in the Cemetery (voles etc) or in the fields (voles again). The seem quite keen on finding and eating dead critters.I wonder if they have eaten the baby pink voles and have got a bit of a taste for 'real meat' I am going to try the lead again albeit extension, so that I can control their behaviour and get them to move on when I want them too. Their recall is now none existent, and they will come when they want too......It is more difficult as being two sisters they go off together and kinda learn from and encourage each other

Offline lescef

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 09:53:40 AM »
You probably need to take them out separately to retrain them, which I know is a pain. It sounds like they have a taste for voles then. Can you walk somewhere else? (Then you run out of places to walk!)
Our trainer had said we shouldn't allow Maddie to do what she wants, to put her back on the lead then allow her some sniffing for good behaviour.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline daw

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 12:35:43 PM »
We have had a 'refusnik' in the past, a working cocker who had I think a game plan and if it meant going somewhere familiar just didn't want to. A case of gimme fresh woods and pastures new. We had to take him places where he could do what came naturally- i.e. search. But for exercise we took him to the beach where the distractions were few- then he would happily retrieve a ball and play with other dogs we met. I think in some spaniels the flushing gene is dominant. We always used to say 'our boy shoulda joined the drug squad!' I don't think you can change their natures- you just outsmart them by altering the environment.   

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 01:42:20 PM »
Are they litter sisters? If so they will have a strong bond and will tend to be self sufficient. Just a matter of going back to basic training. Food and fun always wins out over sulks!

Not sure that they ought to be eating voles. Only a matter of time before they find one that has had poison.

Good luck

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 09:00:49 AM »
Yes they are litter sisters, 5 yrs old and the best of friends (blue roan and orange roan) , I don't like them hunting for voles, because as you say it might cause problems and as an animal lover don't want the poor voles to be killed. I have started taking them out on their extended leads and keep them under firm control which is working a treat, AND they actually sleep more instead of therir mooching which didn't tire them,  I do take treats but don't use them to much as I want them to lose weight so they have to EARN them...

Offline JulieM

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 11:02:48 PM »
My Florence is a bit like this. Our trainer suggested that we change her walks everyday so she doesn't get bored/ kicks out of old habits. We have drastically increased the different types of walks she goes on, including going in the car so we can start from different points, going through town, all woods, street walks etc.

We've found this has helped a lot. She's now quite interested to know where she's going and isn't just going through the motions. Might be worth a try just to get out of the habit of lethargy. Flo still hides when I get the lead out, but once we get through the front door she has a new spring in her step.

Hope this thought helps!  :D

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 12:49:38 PM »
Sorry I'm a little late in answering this, but you have my sympathies. My girl Brodie (7) has always had problems walking, ever since she was a pup. I tried EVERYTHING to get her to walk, but she's much more stubborn than I am :005:. Cursory checks by the vet throughout the years showed no obvious reason. However, she was x-rayed in February and it was discovered she has mild hip dysplasia. I recently put her on Yumove and can't believe the change! She's like a different dog. I know it's a little different here as there are two of them and the vet can't find anything wrong, but perhaps it is worth trying a supplement to see if it helps? 

It's such a frustrating thing and I hope you get to the bottom of it. Dogs are meant to love walks and it really is confusing when they suddenly decide to put the brakes on xx

x In memory of Barney x