Author Topic: Flea/tick treatment - what do you use?  (Read 4249 times)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Flea/tick treatment - what do you use?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 02:27:00 PM »
Thing is if we use it then we use it , if it's so bad then using it at all is detrimental (jmo)

Yes, but using it once a year is less harmful than once a month  ;)  I just prefer only to use it when there is actually a need to.

I also tried Billy No Mates this year but Coco did get fleas once so not sure about how effective that was.  It has been a bad year for parasites round here this year though  >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 02:52:28 PM »
Thing is if we use it then we use it , if it's so bad then using it at all is detrimental (jmo)

Yes, but using it once a year is less harmful than once a month  ;)  I just prefer only to use it when there is actually a need to.

I also tried Billy No Mates this year but Coco did get fleas once so not sure about how effective that was.  It has been a bad year for parasites round here this year though  >:(

I tried BNM with Riley a couple of years ago, it made him itch like mad lol.
I really couldn't spot a flea on him being dark and long haired plus how is in grass, wooded areas, parks , bushes every day , I don't want to risk an "invasion" haha.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 04:43:54 PM »
We use Advocate, but because it's a poison  :o as they all are, I only use it every other month as opposed to the recommended monthly dose.    Kez is now 5 & 1/2 & we have never seen anything  :shades:
I suppose you only know if they really work when they don't.   The vet knows I only use it every other month & has never passed any comment.
I am the same as elaine.e and joules, I hope you don't mind me saying but I think you are using it too much its an awful lot of chemicals to put in your dog
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 07:52:18 PM »
Both Milly and Chaz are treated monthly with Advocate. We've never had a flea on either of them but, according to a faecal sample that we have tested for both dogs every three months, it did take care of an infection of Fox lungworm that Chaz had picked up during his foraging.

Bob.

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 09:54:56 PM »
Both Milly and Chaz are treated monthly with Advocate. We've never had a flea on either of them but, according to a faecal sample that we have tested for both dogs every three months, it did take care of an infection of Fox lungworm that Chaz had picked up during his foraging.

Bob.

Thank goodness some one else uses Advocate, I was  feeling like "a bad mum" :dunno:
I use it mainly for the internal  parasites because we have lots of slugs, although I don't think Kez does more than have a sniff.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 11:52:52 PM »
Advantage here for my two, altho I read lately that it does not kill ticks, but does the deed on fleas and biting lice, so may have to rethink it before I re-order.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 11:54:56 PM »
I don't use anything! My dogs are walked in the New Forest every day so I have to be vigilant about ticks. I check the dogs after every walk. That's easy enough with William because he's mainly white, but a lot more difficult with blue roan and tan Louis.

I've never been a regular user of any flea or tick preventative and stopped altogether about 3 years ago. Since then I've found just one flea on one of the dogs. To be on the safe side I immediately treated both with Practic and sprayed the house with Indorex and I haven't seen any fleas since. I can't remember if that was last year or the year before.

Maybe I've just been lucky? I don't know, but at the moment I don't feel the need to use anything. I worry that frequent, regular use may be harmful. I don't know how extensive the testing is on these products.

Same here. 

I don't use any flea or tick treatments unless I see evidence of fleas.  Have had a few ticks on Coco and my cats early on this year - I removed those with the O'Tom. 

We also had a flea situation at one point, and I then treated them all with Frontline Combo and the house with Indorex which did the trick.  Over the years I have only occasionally had to treat them and much prefer this to putting unnecessary chemicals on them every month when, as Elaine says, I am not sure how safe they are or how well they have been tested. :dunno:

I don't use them unless I need to either (a vet nurse I know said she does same ;) ) plus it also saves money.

We don't have a tick problem here anyway
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 08:20:50 AM »

Bob.

Thank goodness some one else uses Advocate, I was  feeling like "a bad mum" :dunno:
I use it mainly for the internal  parasites because we have lots of slugs, although I don't think Kez does more than have a sniff.

No need to feel like a bad mum - it is a matter of personal choice just like what we each decide to feed our dogs.   ;)  As the question was asked, people have answered.  It is always interesting to hear what other people choose to do whether or not it is the same as you  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »
No need to feel like a bad mum - it is a matter of personal choice just like what we each decide to feed our dogs.   ;)  As the question was asked, people have answered.  It is always interesting to hear what other people choose to do whether or not it is the same as you  ;)

Completely agree, whatever our personal choices are when it comes to feeding or medicating our cockers, we are all trying to do the best for our furry friends.
I've always advocated Advocate (Sorry, couldn't resist it  :doh: ) following the advice of our vet and a fair bit of online research. It's interesting to see how, apart from the more usual dog problems, these other infections and infestations are becoming endemic in some parts of the UK yet are rarely seen in others.
The best advice I've seen on the subject is to check with your local vet. They'll have a better idea of what is, and isn't, proving problematical in their area and will be able to advise accordingly.
We have both Milly and Chaz on a checkup/treatment program with our vet and Advocate is supplied as their treatment of choice for the known risks in this particular area of Scotland.

Bob.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 09:15:08 PM »
We use Advocate, but because it's a poison  :o as they all are, I only use it every other month as opposed to the recommended monthly dose.    Kez is now 5 & 1/2 & we have never seen anything  :shades:
I suppose you only know if they really work when they don't.   The vet knows I only use it every other month & has never passed any comment.
I am the same as elaine.e and joules, I hope you don't mind me saying but I think you are using it too much its an awful lot of chemicals to put in your dog

As a point of interest, most of the propriety drugs to prevent flea/tick/mites etc are a derivative of neem.  This is the same natural product as in Billy No Mates.  One has scientific research and testing to ensure animals are not harmed while using the product and while toxic it must be in carefully controlled qualities for the drug companies to be able to market and sell their products.  The other is a herbal remedy, which I'm sure does have some benefits and quite likely acts as a prevention but you have to administer quantities yourself, whilst it is small quantities, every 'spoon full" will vary in content mix  :-\

Offline PennyB

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 10:06:09 PM »
I agree - sometimes we make choices others won't and its usually for all sorts of reasons
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!