Author Topic: How long does your Cocker chill out during the day?  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Barry H

How long does your Cocker chill out during the day?
« on: October 05, 2015, 01:12:48 PM »
Hi all - Reason I ask is that Jack (10 months - and the destroyer of glasses - see separate thread) seems bored out of his brains most of the time poor chap apart from his usual grooming, training sessions and daily walks (about 2 hours a day average depending on the weather!)

Nowadays, he’s seldom interested in toys, but has his pizzles etc but I don’t give him these every day. 

Fortunately, I’m able to be at home all day with him.  He has a large rear garden to sniff/play in, and we do play hide and seek games etc, but usually, he’ll sit forlornly looking out of the window or mooch round for a bit then slump down with a big sigh, and I’m feeling a bit guilty ‘cos I’ve stuff to do!  Occasionally he’ll have a wander over, tail wagging, plonk himself down and give me one of his looks - you know the ones - makes you feel guilty as hell!

Apologies for what may seem to be a dim question, but he’s my best mate.  Is there anything I should be doing, or am I worrying too much?

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: How long does your Cocker chill out during the day?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 01:22:04 PM »
We all worry too much so dont feel bad!

There is a tendency to over stimulate your dog, and down time for them (and us) is just as important.  You are interpreting his contentment as boredom which it clearly wont be.  They will all have moments of destruction if we are stupid enough to leave things of value lying around, that is just their character and teething etc just makes things harder.

Jack also needs to understand that sometimes, you really have to get on with things without any interference but you certainly shouldn't feel guilty!

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:24:27 PM »
Sounds to me like he is a lucky little chap to have company all day. If they had their way they would have us working for them 24/7 and those looks are enough to melt the strongest heart! They do spend large amounts of time chilling and sleeping and if they can be 'involved' in what you are doing then you will have a happy little pup. If he has a bed or similar near to where you work then he will get used to going there to 'work with you'. Nothing to feel guilty about.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 03:44:27 PM »
I love the cocker sigh, usually the last noise of the day
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 05:42:18 PM »
I used to feel guilty leaving my two. If I went to work on a morning they would be left for about 4 -5 hours so when I came home I made a point of walking them, playing with them and generally keeping them company.

A few months ago we started having some issues with Bobby (nothing to do with this thread but..) and we had to get a behaviourist in for some help. He told us that dogs on average need about 18 hours sleep/rest a day and one of the problems we were having with Bobby was due to him not getting enough sleep/rest. Consequently I started to leave them a bit more - they still get good walks etc but now I don't worry if I want to go out on my bike and leave them for a couple of hours in the afternoon too. They are no worse off for it and to be honest Bobby is more settled.

I am sure that Jack is fine - they don't get bored like we do because they don't think the same as us ;)
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline lescef

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 06:46:33 PM »
Bramble would play all day if we were willing to cooperate!  With some cockers the more attention they get the more they want. Our trainer used to say if they've been fed and watered, let out to relieve themselves and had some one-to-one time with you then they should be able to relax and you shouldn't give in to their demands. Learning to relax on a mat next to you is a good idea.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Mrs Pepper

• Pepper
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 06:47:48 PM »
Really interesting question. It's something I very often think (and worry) about so thanks for raising it as it's good to see the responses. I can now worry a little less...

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 06:57:09 PM »
Yep, our trainer also said that they need 18 hours sleep a day. As long as you keep them fed, watered, relieved and some nice play and walkies you will have a happy dog. Dogs like order and they respond to it, notice how your dog is when you do something that they are not used too, I know Dexter gets all funny and past dogs have been the same.

Yes Min, I too love that goodnight sigh. 

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 07:53:44 PM »
Mum looks after Bea when I'm at work all day, when I get home I ask how her day was and if Bea has been a good girl ?

The usuall response is "she's been asleep all day" my usual response is " what else is there to do after her walk, maybe she should read a book, watch the telly or discuss local news events ? :005:

(No apparently im not too old for a smack!)

A dogs life is very different to ours, eat,sleep,play,walk repeat ( sounds like a toddler)

I think a happy dog is well fed,well rested,well trained and has quality time with there humans :D

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 08:00:14 PM »
I'm often amazed at how quickly our two can go from tearing about the house and garden to fast asleep with twitchy paws, deep breathing and rolling half opened eyes :005:

I thought that I had the quick nap down to a fine art but these two could snooze for Scotland  :lol:

Their subliminal radar systems are finely honed however and they can both be fully alert and in begging mode within a second of a bit of cellophane being crinkled  ;)

Bob.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 01:02:23 PM »
Huge thanks to all.  That's certainly eased my mind.   Give him an inch and he'll take a mile is the lesson here.   Must be getting soft in my old age.  Try hard not to, but it's easy to spoil him.

Bob - you're so right about the cellophane.  It's a constant pain when everything is packaged in the stuff.  Jack can hear crinkles when he's at the bottom of the garden and I'm trying to have a sneaky biscuit... >:(

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »
Huge thanks to all.  That's certainly eased my mind.   Give him an inch and he'll take a mile is the lesson here.   Must be getting soft in my old age.  Try hard not to, but it's easy to spoil him.

Bob - you're so right about the cellophane.  It's a constant pain when everything is packaged in the stuff.  Jack can hear crinkles when he's at the bottom of the garden and I'm trying to have a sneaky biscuit... >:(

And the opening of the dishwasher door to load plates can also stir a fast asleep cocker - I am sure they think they are helping by doing a bit of a pre-wash :005: :005:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 07:46:56 PM »
Puppies are born knowing what the sound of cellophane means......

We both worked from home (retired a year now). Milo would be in my studio with me all day, inhis own bed, we had a play now and then during the day, he was great company and no bother at all. I some times wondered if he got bored ( he was deaf too i his last years), but I think he was happy just being with me all the time.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo