Author Topic: cocker v springer  (Read 2879 times)

Offline ips

cocker v springer
« on: March 18, 2017, 12:35:32 PM »
I know this is a cocker forum but as its a "working dog question"

Generally speaking are springers any easier to train than cockers, does anyone have any experience of both and in a position to comment on any general difference in temperament ?
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Murphys Law

Re: cocker v springer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 03:38:25 PM »
Ive heard the phrase 'springers are born half trained and cockers die half trained' a few times and I have also read interviews with top trialists who have said that springers are easier to train than cockers and that they prefer springers over cockers because they are stronger and faster. The problem, they say, is that it is a lot harder to get a good springer than a good cocker.

But, in Pipa Mattinsons book, Total Recall, she states that if you were out for a walk with a working springer and fell over, the springer would think 'excellent' and head for another county as quickly as possible. A wcs would think 'excellent' and jump on top of you are start licking your face. :005:

Sorry, that doesn't really answer your question does it?  :lol2:

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 04:49:47 PM »
Ive heard the phrase 'springers are born half trained and cockers die half trained' a few times and I have also read interviews with top trialists who have said that springers are easier to train than cockers and that they prefer springers over cockers because they are stronger and faster. The problem, they say, is that it is a lot harder to get a good springer than a good cocker.

But, in Pipa Mattinsons book, Total Recall, she states that if you were out for a walk with a working springer and fell over, the springer would think 'excellent' and head for another county as quickly as possible. A wcs would think 'excellent' and jump on top of you are start licking your face. :005:

Sorry, that doesn't really answer your question does it?  :lol2:

No, but it was a fun read 😁

I heard a quote... Springers hunt "for" scent, cockers hunt "on" scent.

I have noticed this to be true whilst beating. Springers barge around in manic style whereas cockers have a look and if there is no scent they move on or in the case of cover they move out.

Maybe I will stick with a cocker, it was just a thought I had about when I get the next dog.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 08:27:16 PM »
Heres my take on it having owned a couple of each breed, yes springers hunt for scent and cockers hunt scent no doubt in my mind, I think springers look bolder in hard cover but this is because they are hunting for scent in everything where as the cocker will run past heavy cover if they know its empty. most springers will make their own hole in bramble where as the smart cocker will check to see if there is a hole already made. I don't think springers are much easier to train it just seems that way as cockers are quirky I think they are smarter and prone to a I know better than you attitude which they often do.

As pups generally cockers are much harder to live with that's a fact  :D. Springers are great working dogs, cockers are contrary, cunning, demanding, needy, greedy,clingy little smart arse sods and yes my next one would be another cocker.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 11:46:43 PM »
I would love a 'good' springer, just need a bigger house. They have a fantastic work ethic and are less quirky (as Jeffd has said).  Super fast, and mesmerising to watch working. I'd compare them a bit to collies - having the drive to hunt, hunt and then hunt some more (without asking why or for what).  However, if they are of the plodder sort I can't think of anything worse to watch working. Seen some lumbering brutes that put me off...
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
I haven't seen any ess that were not mad as a box of frogs when hunting.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 11:10:35 AM »
There is a bit of ground I work Teal on for rabbits, it takes us 20 minutes to  hunt mostly bramble cover, on  a good day Teal will flush 3 or 4 rabbits most days it one or none, if I hunted the same ground with my old springer Drake it would take 90 minutes or more, that dog ripped up every bit of cover he came across but I am sure he would not produce any more rabbits than Teal does. If you are a single gun working an area that is not thick with game and you don't have a GSP then I would want a cocker Springers waste time hunting non hold cover just for the hell of it but it sure does look good.

In heavy game areas I don't think there is much between them and as for plodders have seen plodders in  both breeds, its rare from working lines but it does happen. I do think most plodders I have seen are made rather than born, coming down too hard on a young dog for steadiness at a young age can produce plodders
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 12:47:37 PM »
cockers are contrary, cunning, demanding, needy, greedy,clingy little smart arse sods and yes my next one would be another cocker.

Jeff, you will be pleased to know that you just gave me the best laugh of the day and the will to carry on working on court bundles on a Sunday afternoon. You have them spot on! Thank you!