Author Topic: Puppy 12 weeks old  (Read 1746 times)

Offline kedwins

Puppy 12 weeks old
« on: August 29, 2018, 10:58:09 AM »
New too the forum, so hello too everyone.
I have a couple of questions to ask, firstly food, we have carried on with the type of food that the breeder recommended and Dotty, is gaining weight, confirmed by the vet and a couple of visits too the local pet shop that has a scale.
She is very food driven it seems and we are getting some good training results very quickly.
The question is how much. As she seems ravenous most of the time.
We feel she is on the upper weight of
Small dog (5-12kgs) 2 to 6 months recommends 90-160g 
Medium dog (12 -25kgs) 2 to 6 months recommends 100- 390g
We are currently feeding her 130g a day this includes her treats.
this brings me on to the second question, she is crated at night, large crate with water, but she has had some accidents in the night, not every night, but  there is no pattern too it, I do lift her in the night too try and relieve the length of time and am up @ 5.30am too let her out. just wondered if there is any link or tips or advice from anyone.
Many thanks
Kevin

Offline kedwins

Re: Puppy 12 weeks old
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 11:01:44 AM »
When I say Link, I meant to say, link between her food intake and the time she can go without relieving herself, she does go about 7 ish times a day atm
cheers
Kevin

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 03:25:26 PM »
Hi and welcome!
Most spaniels are always hungry!  So that is normal behaviour  ;)
The info pack from our breeder says that a weight of 5 - 10kgs should be given 160g -310 g of food per day. Of course that depends on the food type but  gives you an idea.
As she is only 12 weeks old, I think she is doing very well to have some dry nights as her control is still developing.
I know some people disagree but we have always taken the water away about 8pm to help prevent overnight puddles. We only leave water down if it's very hot.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline kedwins

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 04:29:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply, its not puddles its poops, but its reassuring that you think she is doing well. :0)

Offline Issy

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 07:40:33 AM »
Our Springer came to us on Beta Puppy and he did used to poo a lot but not seven times a day and not in his crate!  I would try switching to a better quality food and look at the treats she is having as they may be too rich for her. We have put our seven month old Cocker on to Fish4Dogs ( There are lots of other brands or raw feeding so do a bit of research as to what would work for you) and she loves it so much she has her kibble for every day training treats and fish cake or chicken for more challenging training.
Hope you find something that works for you.

Offline kedwins

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 09:33:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply, her treats are the food she has and I have changed gradually from what the breeder was giving her and a better quality, but the same kibble type if that is the correct wording, that was recommended to me by the vet.

Offline Issy

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 10:48:52 AM »
What exact food is she on Kedwins and how many meals a day is she having?  It might be worth giving her a ten minute walk ( assuming her jabs etc are done) late in the evening so hopefully she will have emptied her bowels before bed.
Good job puppies are cute isn’t it, the things they put us through  :005:

Offline ChrisS

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 03:44:38 PM »
I have a 22 week pup, so have been through some of the things you mention very recently. From memory at 12 weeks we took Smudge out at 11.30 when he would poo regularly and then got up at about 4.30 with him again. Unfortunately it was a matter of waiting until he did one.
Invest in a baby monitor as I’m guessing they will make some noise if they want to go. We adjusted the time we got up every couple of days. We now take him out at 10.30 and he wakes up when we come down after 7. We stopped using the baby monitor last week as it was no longer necessary.
At 3 months we reduced his meals to 3 times a day and didn’t feed him after 6. This helped regulate his toilet times.
He is still on the dry food the breeder used and he seems fine. For training we use chicken.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 07:05:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply, her treats are the food she has and I have changed gradually from what the breeder was giving her and a better quality, but the same kibble type if that is the correct wording, that was recommended to me by the vet.

If you are using her Kibble as Treats then it's possible she is getting too much for her tummy to deal with , if she is getting too much food in a short period of time then her tummy will work quickly to get rid of it and this can be a bit difficult to pick up ( a good poo is kickeball )

Chicken is a good treat for training   :005:

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 06:54:07 PM »
Also, can you make her sleeping area smaller? I was counselled to make the sleeping area just cosy enough for her as if the space was too big she would use one end as a toilet.