Author Topic: Tommy home! (New puppy questions)  (Read 4405 times)

Offline Simon

• Site Member
  • Tommy Bonaloo
Re: New puppy questions
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 11:50:57 AM »
Again, thanks for the replies! :)

CraftySam - Thanks for the links they are very fairly priced, I can see them being useful. When I said about the washing line, I would of made it a proper lead, with a dog clip at the end like a standard lead, I wasn't really considering it, just in my mind the word "line" I couldn't imagine what it would be like! ;) But I see it's basically a standard lead but very much longer.

Colin - Thanks for the advice, it's good to know that I can re-use this cage for the car at adult size too, that's really good value for money. I won't be using a playpen, as I work from home he's going to have company and supervision most if not all day, but I'm going to be very careful to leave him alone for set periods so he doesn't get too close and develop separation anxiety. So, the cage is a real plus point for that. When you say let the pup off lead, you obviously mean in the park (or similar area) not the garden. I know I'm going to be very nervous the first time, so, I guess I should do a search here on that topic to pick up some advice. How long would you recomend the long line to be, if I go that route? Thanks.

Crazycockers - Hi, thanks! :D He is a blue roan, and yep I've decided the name! He will be Tommy, named after one of my favorite TV shows lead characters, Tommy from Rescue Me (I love this show, black comedy/drama on Sky One). I considered Kiefer, after Kiefer Sutherland, my favorite male actor, but thought it was not quite as nice, I like the 'y' on ends of names, my first cocker was Rocky, so it has a similar sound. Not much longer now, this Sunday I collect him, I wonder how much he'll have changed in these two weeks? He was a tiny little darling when I saw him, he fell asleep in my arms as we were chatting with the breeder for ages, it was so cute! His mum was a stunner aswell, a black and white.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 12:24:46 PM »

Hi Simon

The longline I have is basically a washing line with a clip on the end - it's about 20 feet long ( possibly longer, I'm not sure) and I got it at Misty's training class. I doubt you will need one though at first - as Rachel says they are more often used on older pups who are spreading their wings during adolesence, with a young pup you are the centre of it's world so letting them off lead on the first walk in the park means they will stick close to you - especially if you encourage them to return and give them lavish praise or treats. This thread has some members recounting their experiences and sharing tips that you might find useful...

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=12293.0

Good luck for sunday, I bet you can't wait - I like the name Tommy.  :D

Offline Harriet

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 05:33:07 PM »
Good Luck on Sunday, Can't wait to see pocs of little Tommy!  :luv:

With regards to the lead you can buy some retractable ones here: http://www.pressies4dogs.com/prod-details-157-50-0.html (Mods, hope it's Ok to post this)

CC xx  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 05:40:40 PM »
With regards to the lead you can buy some retractable ones here:

A lot of people (including myself) have learnt the hard way that an extendi-lead can create its own problems:

I would advise you not to use an extendable lead though. These can actually indirectly teach a puppy to pull. To move further away from you and nearer to where they want to go they have to pull against the resistance of the winder of the extendable lead.  ;) It would be much better to use a long line instead. These come in various lengths. You can end up a tied up but in the long term you will benefit from not using an extendable lead.
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Harriet

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 05:42:19 PM »
Can you get slightly longer "normal" leads IWLass? If so couldn't the dog get tied up in that!?  :-\

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2006, 05:47:22 PM »
Can you get slightly longer "normal" leads IWLass? If so couldn't the dog get tied up in that!?  :-\

Its not the getting tied up, but the fact that I am sure Molo learnt to pull on the lead cos I used an extendi-lead when he was a puppy rather than let him off  ::) It is still a work in progress to break this habit

Long-lines are exactly that - longer leads, made of rope, leather or nylon; up to about 30ft in length, which ensures that even if the dog runs off, they are still under control - but there are careful safeguards that must be in place such as it being attached to a harness, and the dog having a reliable "wait", so that if it gets tied up, it doesn't seriously injure itself  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Harriet

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 06:07:05 PM »
Thanks IWLass  :D

Offline Simon

• Site Member
  • Tommy Bonaloo
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2006, 07:45:25 PM »
Woo, well, he's home! I am so happy, he is beautiful and a darling little boy. I can't believe he's here, it's gone quite quick since the last time I saw him considering it was two and a half weeks. Tommy has been out in the garden, and I could see he was "Whoa, this is all new and exciting", a bit cautious, but he soon started bounding around puppy-style! Did a wee and praised him loads, then went in, and I already prepared his puppy cage with an old sheepskin coat and blankets, he loved it!! Stretched out, and fell asleep. I left him in as I went to make a cuppa and chill myself, door open, he stayed there and he slept like a little angel! Brilliant. First time just now whilst having dinner that I closed the door, and he whinged & cryed. But.. we have had accidents, naturally, even though I've taken him outside frequently, I caught him in the act and said "bad boy", which was great because I unfortunately missed him doing one wee!!  ph34r So I put him into his crate and shut the door, he settled and laid quiet, and still is, as I'm upstairs and he's down! Remarkable. I am expecting some whimpering later in the night, but he seems to like the crate, which is a big relief. Overall though I'm very very happy. He did a nice poop in the garden, and seems a very happy chap! I'm thrilled, I'll upload some photo's if my 56k connection (waiting for the broadband activation, it's horrible on 56k) can handle it later.

One question though. I have Purina Beta puppy food, same as breeder was using, but I can't get my head around the portions guide on the side?! How much should I give him, as he is fed 4 meals a day, the bag said 140 - 440g for an dog of expected adult body weight of 10 - 20kg. Oh, and he doesn't like being picked up very much!  :005: Is that normal? Thanks.

Edit: I remember the other thing I was gonna ask. The great Brittish weather has decended and it's raining outside. How do you people with puppies cope with it, as you have to take them out so often? All I can think of is trying to use an umbrella, but I'm already holding a torch in one hand! It's gonna be tough, the next few days look like mostly rain.

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 08:51:05 AM »
Dyllan is on the same food. We gave him 4 half cups(childrens plastic beaker) per day to start with. He quickly droped one of the feeds himself and now at 15wks he has 3 fullish cups making about 250g per day.
I too found the instructionson the packet difficult. However Dylan has a good coat and is a good weight on this food. :D

Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 10:10:59 AM »
Hiya Simon

Well, Tommy seems to have settled well, hope you had a good first night  ;)

Sorry, no advice regarding the food portion sizes - if I was you I would give the breeder a call to verify this, he/she would probably appreciate a call anyway to let them know how you're getting on  :D

With regards the taking outside business - my advice would be get a waterproof with a hood and have it at the ready by the back door, along with old towels for mucky paws (I use old tea towels) - the only drawback I'm afraid with cocker ownership is you might mind the rain, but they certainly don't  ;)  :lol:

Have fun, and give that little boy a cuddle from me  :luv:
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline Simon

• Site Member
  • Tommy Bonaloo
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 01:42:39 PM »
Thanks for the tips. :)

First night was pretty good, considering I knew pretty much what it was going to be like! ;) Got up three times in the night, took him outside and he did poo's and wee's, settled back in his cage after a few minutes of moaning, hehe. He's doing really well today, and seems very receptive to the positive praise when he wee's/poo's outside, also I think Tommy is releasing he is Tommy!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2006, 06:59:01 AM »
Hope last night went well, glad he's settling in well.

Amazing how quick they learn their name ;)

Offline Simon

• Site Member
  • Tommy Bonaloo
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2006, 11:23:05 AM »
Well, things are settling down now, it's been hard work but we're going in the right direction! :D

First night Tommy got me up four times, then the next night 3, then 2, and last night he slept from 10:30 til nearly 6am!! So I consider that getting up in the night once, as I normally get up at 7-8 ;) But still, the trend is going downward, which is brilliant.  :angel:

None the wiser on the food situation, I am going to phone the helpline for Purina Beta, see if they have some advice. I've cut it down a little bit, he was poo'ing loads on the first and second days, and this has gone down to about two or three a day now, good solid ones too.

I am just re-reading the toilet training and mouthing guides, just to make sure I'm doing it correctly. I must say I have seen an improvement on the house training, he almost stops (if he can) when I catch him, then outside to finish. He's getting the idea bless him! :)

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
Re: Tommy home! (New puppy questions)
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2006, 12:17:23 PM »
Simon

Sounds like you're really getting the hang of things and little Tommy is being a very very good boy  :angel:
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
Re: Tommy home! (New puppy questions)
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 02:19:56 PM »
oh glad to hear Tommys getting there - you might have seen many of my posts - I hopefully will be following in your footsteps very sooN!

I had to giggle when I read about the weather one.. I have a warm jacket inside a waterproof jacket for rain and a head torch - giggle - cos I was lifting him in and out !  and in the middle of night I have my dressing gown under the lot.. try not to picture the scene!