Author Topic: Who's inexperienced? Me! Blod picked up dead rat at park!  (Read 933 times)

Offline rwasinski

Who's inexperienced? Me! Blod picked up dead rat at park!
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:21:51 PM »
Do I need to do anything?! It was already dead when she spotted it and carried it for about 10 seconds in her mouth! No blood or anything.  ph34r

Yuk! I picked it up and carried it across the field to the bin with a poo bag!

(She was frontlined a few weeks ago.)

(Sorry Fiona - hope this doesn't upset you) :huh:

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Re: Who's inexperienced? Me! Blod picked up dead rat at park!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:25:55 PM »
No idea if it can cause any probs but I do hope not :-\ I am sure someone more experienced will be along in a mo ;) I just wanted to say ''uch y fe (scuse my sp) Blod nice girlies don't pick up dead rats >:('' :005:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 05:29:18 PM »
 :lol2:

She was also attracting lots of frisky attention from one particular boy terrier. She's far too young to be having boyfriends! >:(

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 05:43:47 PM »
Our cat kindly brought in a half chewed (alive) baby rat in the week, about 5" long before the tail.  I walked upstairs carrying a basket of washing, heard a squeak, when I looked down I had stepped on it  ph34r ph34r  the cat had chewed it's back legs off and it was dragging itself along my landing carpet.  Got the neighbour to come in and dispose of it, then gave my landing carpet a good scrubbing.  When I checked in my bathroom there was blood from the window ledge (where the cat had jumped in carrying it's gift for me) all along the side of the bath, across the marble tiles on the floor........didn't know if marble could be bleached but I did, makes me shudder just to think about it.  ph34r ph34r

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 05:59:24 PM »
More than likely she will be fine - as well as eating dead stuff mine have caught, killed and eaten rats, rabbits, squirrels etc and rarely suffer and if they do it's diawotsits or a quick vomit on the kitchen floor ::) >:D It might be wise to treat her for fleas again if she hasn't been done for a while - we got a bad infestation here after the dogs had a rabbit last winter  >:D

Obviously rats can carry nasties so keep an eye on her, but as she didn't actually eat it and didn't carry it for very long she should be ok  :luv:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 06:21:45 PM »
I think Blod must be related to Louis. He had dead bird number three this morning, yet another Greenfinch. At least I know he didn't kill this one as it was sort of mummified  :005:. He didn't eat this one, unlike the previous two, so I had to pick it up and bin it.

As already said, rats carry all sorts of nasties, but as Blod didn't have it for long and didn't eat it I think she should be fine.

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 09:39:23 PM »
(Sorry Fiona - hope this doesn't upset you) :huh:
Your post didn't but Sharon's freaked me out! :o

Gari found half a cream rat in the park last year, it was obviously a pet someone had dumped and then it had been killed, and that disgusted me as all of mine are rescues who have been found dumped. >:D

Wild rats are completely different though, they do carry disease, and even I wouldn't touch them, I'm sure Blod will be fine though. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline laurianna

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 12:10:38 AM »
the worst thing a dog can get from a rat is Leptospirosis. its horrible, but pups are vaccinated from it. U can get it from rat wee which goes in canals which dogs can swim in and drink.  If u look on her vet record they call it Lepto.  Maisies has it on.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 08:27:05 AM »
the worst thing a dog can get from a rat is Leptospirosis. its horrible, but pups are vaccinated from it. U can get it from rat wee which goes in canals which dogs can swim in and drink.  If u look on her vet record they call it Lepto.  Maisies has it on.

I'm sure Blod will be ok  ;)  You can check with your vet if there have been any cases of Lepto in your area - I haven't heard of any down here for years now (apart from in Farmers who contract it from Cattle).

The lepto jab doesn't cover all the strains of lepto that are out there and current research has said it doesn't cover the dog for an entire year anyway -  plus there is growing concern about the side effects and efficacy of it  :-\

helen & jarvis x

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »
Spoke to Vets and they reassured me that as she has not been sick and is pooping OK, she should be fine and there have been no cases of Lepto in the area.
Phewphie!

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 08:41:47 PM »
They are mucky animals sometimes, mine have also bought in the cats presents and run around with a dead mouse or headless bird in their gobs. At least though they were dead!!!
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!